Countering Playstyles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by VWong, Feb 4, 2016.

1. VWong

VWong Regular Member

Student
    So I have been playing alot against one of my friends and will be playing against him in an upcoming tournament (on saturday 6/2-2016).

Usually when we play I can only beat him in straight sets, otherwise he will outrun me in the third set. The reason to why I started this thread wasn´t to beat him but to learn from more experienced players about how to counter different playstyles in the most effective way

But for this case, my friend is a "runner". He doesn´t have strength but he makes up for it through a relativly strong backhand with a straight clear, drop and diagonal drop in his arsenal. Very good with sliced shots and defence in general and quite fast (not faster than me though).

Anyone got any ideas for my case?

Oh yeah and feel free to post things on your questions I like to listen to others people´s thoughts and ideas as well!

2. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Does "outrun" means he has the stamina of a bull while you, a normal person?

He doesn't have "strength" but have a strong backhand (what?) and good straight clear and drops? Do you mean his smashes aren't that good?

Knowing this, I assume he'll rarely do cross court clears and smashes since it's his "weakness"? You can prepare by standing slightly biased to the straight clear and just ever so slightly biased to the front.

3. VWong

VWong Regular Member

Student
    1. Yes he has great stamina and mine is just average
    2. Sorry I didn´t address the thing that meant. What mean to say was he can do a straight clear with his backhand as well as straight and cross court drop shots with his backhand

4. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

So in what area "he doesn't have strength"?

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What are your strengths?:)

These type of players are very good. You have to be prepared to rally and wait for the opportunity which means you have to change your mindset. You have to probe his areas and not expect the weak shot, be patient and wait for the opportunity. It's just like how the top players are playing now.

Every 8 to 12 shots you can vary the pace by hitting a faster clear, change the position on court that he has to hit the shuttle, sometimes hit down the middle. See which shot gives you an opportunity to take that chance.

6. victor_rs

victor_rs Regular Member

this player not aggressive attacking...more defensive counter attack...wait ur loose shot or normal shot....

so u just need to 'pain' him...fast drop 2x same spot...then clear attack to his backhand...but make sure ur swing to drop and clear attack is same....