My friends who play with me don't try to improve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Salcin, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Salcin

Salcin Regular Member

student
    I often play with two girls (all of us 23 y/o) but I find that they are not really trying to improve their game that much. Both of them have played longer than me, but haven't yet learned how to get any power in their hits. Therefore, they cannot clear nor smash.

Is it a girl thing, not to take sporting seriously, even though they play 2-3 times per week? :confused: I am thinking about teaching them about forehand pronation, but don't think they will take my advice seriously since I too am a beginner (but I can at least clear and smash :()

I have a lot more fun playing with guys. They try harder!

2. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Well girls in general tend to be much less competitive about sports or gaming. They're there to have fun whereas guys wants to compete. Also, I find a lot of girls hate sweating excessively therefore trying hard (competing) would contradict that.

3. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    It's not so much a female thing, it's just how that person is. In my regular group, i have a couple girls who are very willing to improve and are very receptive to tips and advice and actively try to apply new techniques or strategies every time. I also have other male friends who are happy to keep playing the same way they've kept on playing and haven't really improved in 2 years.

I would just not worry too much about it because in the end, you're becoming stressed over things you have no control over. You can't "make" the two girls want to improve, that's on them. All you can do is have fun when you play with them regardless if the mistakes they make.

4. Salcin

Salcin Regular Member

student
    True. But it seems more common with girls. 5/5 girls I've been playing with at the club have had this "casual" mentality, whereas most guys are improving by every week. I still want to play with the girls, as I said, but as I progress it becomes less interesting.

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Everyone's goals are different.
    If you are eager to improve yet your friends are happy to fiddle around, then you simply have to move on to partners who are like-minded.
    It's not an easy thing to change other people. (It's hard enough to change ourselves!) So let them be and move on.
    Good luck! :)

Jilles likes this.
  6. darrengsaw

darrengsaw Regular Member

Data Analyst
    You will often find that when a group of people begin playing the sport that some people will naturally aspire to become better and some will just be happy to pat a few shuttles around to pass some time.

You will find that if you really get the bug you may want to go to the next level.

You may want to join a club, find a coach and look to move your skills on, you may have to leave your other friends behind to achieve this.

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    If you want them to take it more seriously, I suggest you lead by example :) It sounds like you are passionate about improving, so keep on going. If they want to improve, they will be inspired by your example. If they are happy just turning up and participating, then thats fine for them too - even if its not what you would want!

I find that more women who play badminton (later) are like this, whereas when players start out young, the girls improve just as much as the guys.

If you wanted to hint to them about improving, try organising a group coaching session and get the coach to teach power shots. Whatever you do, do not try to coach them yourself as this is rarely taken well. Nobody likes a lecturer! But if you have a couple of group coaching sessions, (which is easy as you can split the cost) then you will probably find they learn just enough to start improving on their own!

Good luck to you - I hope you keep striving to play and improve!

8. Dimo

Dimo Regular Member

Pre-Raphaelite & Classic Art
    I think MSeeley's advice is sound. My own experience playing in and out of local leagues in four counties is that 90% of players are happy just to knock the shuttle about and play some matches. Nothing wrong in that, but it's best not to have any expectations of others because few folk are interested in putting aside time to improve their game.