Cheat Flick Serve in MD

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ipang_bam, Jan 23, 2016.

1. ipang_bam

ipang_bam Regular Member

Engineer, Badminton Coach
    Hi BCers..I want to share my last match in MD last night badminton schedule. I'm playing MD rally point, the opponents are younger than us. First set scores was tight, during the first set, they do several cheat flick serve (frame above the hip) in crucial scores, and we lost first set. Second set, we're always try not to give much opportunity for them, play fast, drive and effective smash. And we can avoid the cheat flick serve and some of they serve was out line, lucky for us. We got the second set. The third, match scores tight, and in crucial scores they do It again the cheat in last 2 points, the third game over by their winning 27-25. My partner frustuated, I counted maybe he had cheated about 9 times. Unfortunately, our opponents was ex veterans too like us. Confiusing..how they can always survive the regulation in national career so far..? Friends..what's the best strategy for cheat flick serve ? My partner and I doing the stand position receive not to close an front line to prevent It. So what's your idea/tactic/strategy ? Thanks a lot..

2. Arrowken

Arrowken Regular Member

Surely the best advice is to call them on it..? Call it early.

3. vicng87

vicng87 Regular Member

Unfortunately fault on server is only something that can be called out for. I'm pretty sure even in bwf the players push the boundaries of the serve and see what the service judge calls and doesn't call. If not called, they will continue. If called, they'll pull it back a bit

4. ipang_bam

ipang_bam Regular Member

Yeah..It's awful, makes spirit turn bad, but try to still focus to the game. Perhaps, next rematch get better in courage..

5. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Is dealing with cheat flick any different than dealing with a normal flick?

6. ipang_bam

ipang_bam Regular Member

Of course, we can see position of the racquet was under the hip. But the cheat was try raising up the frame and do it quickly serve shot. So the receiver freeze footwork and just standing..

7. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Umm, did you ever consider he's not cheating?

The rules state the whole shuttle must be below the waist - this is commonly identified as the lowest rib, the naval, or the resting place of the elbow.

Judging by your statement about the frame not being below the hip, it sounds as if the serve could have actually been legal.

8. ipang_bam

ipang_bam Regular Member

Maybe..but what can you say if the frame raise up straight as chest position and the hand holding shuttle was move raise too ?

9. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    You are allowed to raise your non-racket arm and racket arm provided the whole shuttle is still struck below the waist (as mentioned before, lowest rib, naval, or elbow resting position are common markers) and no double movement is made (i.e. looking as if they're going to serve but stopping and then starting again) then it's a legal serve.

The racket must also point in a downward direction (12 o'clock must be less than horizontal), but as you haven't called this into question, I'm going to assume it's not a problem.

I'm not entirely sure I believe it's now at chest height, because your original complaint was that the frame was above the hip. If it was at chest height, you should've called it and told them you believed they were making an error.

10. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    I think it's the case of ready and hitting at different position.

at the ready position the server show the correct one. But when doing the serve, he raises the racket and birdie so when he hit the birdie, it is chest high. If done fast, it will be difficult to spot.

but you just can't grumble at the last. Should've called it early when they have done it the first time. refuse to continue until the rule is upheld.

11. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    If it's a causal game, I'll let it go. If it matters, I'd ask a mutually agreed person to spot the serve (service judging) for you both. But first agree upon what is considered a fault. I too am under the impression that they might not have been faulted if you use "hip" as a reference.

12. Kikuhito Senshi

Kikuhito Senshi Regular Member

project manager
    There is no rule that says anything about the frame not being allowed above the hip.

The rule is that the shuttle should not be above the lowest part of the lowest rib. There is some debate as to
    whether service judges understand what constitutes the lowest part of the lowest rib with most appearing to accept the sternum.... which is incorrect.

13. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Interesting thing, I just came across something similar when i played a couple days ago. This one player makes a double racket motion when he serves, though he consistently does it. He fakes a swing first, then hits the serve with his second swing. I was quite aggravated by it, but since it is a friendly match I'm not going to make a scene. Solution? Don't play with them again.

14. junclot

junclot Regular Member

best solution is to do shoulder height push/drive serve, when playing vs them :D

its difficult if there's no official service judge present (yeah, unless its some official tournament, 99% of the time there is none)

so if they dun abide by the rule, u dun have to too, in the spirit of WINNING because we love the feeling

OR....
    u can choose not to play with them lol

15. bbmars

bbmars Regular Member

Technical offier
    One of my colleague did that too and I told him after the match. He had since stopped doing so.

Actually, for the past at least 1 year or so. From Youtube, there are many players being faulted for high serve. Much stricter than before. Most national players at one time or another did it.

#15 bbmars, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  16. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Yeah, in casual games it's quite hard to tell people to stop this. The most annoying one I've faced is when their starting position is legal, then they quickly raise the racket higher and hit what's essentially a flat drive at chest level. :rolleyes:

17. bbmars

bbmars Regular Member

Technical offier
    agree. it's hard but sometime frustrating and when you loose your game mainly because of the serve and not nothing else...... I tell myself to just focus on the game. know what you do and the rest... nothing you can do if your opponent doesn't wants to rectify the problem.