Doubles Defence

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by VWong, Jan 9, 2016.

1. VWong

VWong Regular Member

Student
    I was wondering if you guys have any tips and/or videos about the defence in doubles. I do drills for example having someone hit a smash and then I will drive, lift or stop the shuttle. However I´m having a hard time doing this in game. Anyone have any thoughts or tips and tricks?

2. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Can you please describe the first 2-3 difficulties in your games applying your practice? A few things come to mind.

3. VWong

VWong Regular Member

Student
    I would say that if I come up against an opponent who has a very fast and hard smash I just mindlessly hit the ball back. The return is usually too high and to the center of the court

4. sebZeroToHeroes

sebZeroToHeroes Regular Member

Sports video review platform dev
    That looks fine. You're covering the basics of the different types of defense, so that's good.
    Would you mind recording yourself and posting the video here so we can give more targeted advice?

So you mean you're trying to defend short / drive, and don't have a good height / length?

The first step would be to learn the high clear defense - sending the shuttle high and deep. This will keep you out of the biggest trouble, even though you won't be able to take the attack back.
    Once you know how to do this, learn the short defense (low defense going behind the net).
    The drive is more tricky to do, since you can't do it on any smash, and failing to do it properly is usually severely punished :)

5. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    My advice is keep your body low and make your body face the direction of the smasher.

6. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    When you recognize your opponent's smash is fast(er)/harder(er) than what you practice, try to block it back away from the front opponent. This usually requires minimal hand swing, and thus making it best for this situation. Make sure you're not too tense, both in your mind and your hand/arm.

If you always do straight block (or "stop"), opponent could recognize and anticipate them.

7. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

I am a singles player so when i play doubles, i have no problem blocking a smash. I feel quite comfortable driving back a smash but i really suck at doing the high clear defence. Unless the smash is really slow then i can take my time and clear it back. But when i play with better players and they have a really decent smash, I cant really clear it back to the baseline and it gets worse when they smash my forehand. :(