Net shot returns

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by DarkHiatus, Jan 8, 2016.

1. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

When returning a net shot from the left, I use a backhand action which allows either a straight tumbling net shot, or a cross court net shot. Same on the right (though I find it harder to do a forehand crosscourt net shot than the backhand, it is still doable).

My problem is when I am in the middle of the net, oddly enough! This can occur either during singles when I am running forwards to the net after a drop, or even during a doubles serve rally.

When approaching the net, my racquet adopts a forehand grip if it's on my right, and backhand if its either on my left or directly in front. However, it is obvious I am going to either play a straight tumbling net shot, or to the left/right depending on which way my racquet is facing (the face is parallel to the ground at this point). The other option is a lift. Either net shot option doesn't make the opponent have to worry about sideways movement, and the lift would give them plenty time to move back.

If I wait and take the shuttle lower, I can move my body and play a net shot to the right with a forehand grip, or to the left with a backhand grip, but this gives my opponent plenty of time to a) see my whole body move b) return the shot with my body in a bad position.

What would be the sensible thing to do if the opponent drops it to the middle of the net? Is it possible to adjust my racquet such that I always have a left/right net shot available, or is holding the racquet 'flat' (like a frying pan) the way I should be holding it?

2. phili

phili Regular Member

For me the backhand grip is the way to go. I can play it straight back at the net or to either side or even lift it to wherever I want it (at least sometimes :D ). But I feel playing a net shot to the sides isn't a good option. You got no angle to work with so you better just play it straight back at the net or lift it.
    I think the drop shot into the middle is a good equalizer if you fell a bit behind in the rally because it is hard to do anything offensive with it if executed right.

3. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Good point about the limited offensive potential - a mid net drop does often happen when I put an opponent on the back foot, and as you say, it's a great reset.

I see then that a side net shot would basically give them the attacking opportunity then, since they are in a good position to take the shuttle higher.

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    As someone else already pointed out, playing to the middle was a smart move by your opponent. My advice: take the shuttle really early and play it straight back to the middle with plenty of height and tumble - your opponent will then be in the same position you were just in - no options except net shot or lift. By taking the shot early, you can also hold before you hit the shot, and hence flick it over your opponents head if he starts to move forwards.

You shouldn't be worried about playing it to the sides - its not a viable shot and as you pointed out, only gives him the opportunity to attack you. Much better to play back to the middle or punch it over his head. And for that, you can use any grip.

Good luck.

5. sebZeroToHeroes

sebZeroToHeroes Regular Member

Sports video review platform dev
    As for grip, I usually find that the backhand offers more options than forehand (it's comparatively easier to bend your wrist to send the shuttle to either side).

Totally. I had someone in my club (who achieved ~30 world ranked) who played this shot a lot when he was on the backhand side. He played stronger than a drop shot, kind of between a drive and a drop shot, and down the middle. Since it was rather far from the net, the opponent couldn't really play a strong net shot, and he didn't have any good angle to attack.

That's a good move.

Depending on how early you can take the shuttle, playing to the sides could be an option. As with everything, you don't want to be too predictable and should vary the angles and the rhythm.