Serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by VWong, Jan 7, 2016.

1. VWong

VWong Regular Member

Student
    Hey I was just wondering what to do after I serve a low backhand serve in a SINGLES game. I am a 14 y/o player and am trying to get used to using the low backhand serve. Anyone have any tips?

2. sebZeroToHeroes

sebZeroToHeroes Regular Member

Sports video review platform dev
    First, understand that the low serve is meant to keep you on the attack. By playing a low serve, you deny your opponent any strong attacking shot from the back.

There are two usual responses to the low serve in singles:

1. A net shot
    2. A quick shot to the back on your backhand side

When I started to use the backhand serve (I was about your age), I used to get heavily punished by the second response. After a while, you'll develop a stronger backhand that will help you properly respond, but be prepared for the first months :)

So back to your original question:

* Get ready to move to the net, but don't stand too much forward (otherwise 2 will hurt a lot). Just get back to a neutral position, but be ready. The more you'll be confident in your movement and backhand strength, the more you'll be able to move forward to force your opponent to simply clear.
    * Get ready for a backhand shot. This usually means that your racket should be high (which should be the case anyway since you're on the attack) and ready to intercept the shuttle before it gets past you.

The best would be to play a few games using that serve, and analyze how your opponent answered, and which kind of answers you had trouble with.

And just a note: for the backhand serve to be efficient, you need to be able to send it to the back (and high enough that your opponent can't just intercept it), as you would with a forehand serve. Otherwise your opponent will be able to stand more forward on the court, and put pressure on your serve (like they would in doubles).
    So be sure to work on that too :)

3. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Make sure you use the correct backhand grip. It will offer you stability.

Don't use much wrist, you only need to push the shuttle over the net.

Some players prefer to hold the racket at different angles, with some pointing their racket 12 o'clock position towards the floor. I generally find it easier to hold my racket quite close to horizontal.

Remember serve height, the whole shuttle should be below your bottom rib when serving. This is an easy mistake to make, and can create problems later on.

While people tend to toe the service line in doubles, I do not advise this in singles. Stand a foot or two back from the service line. Standing right on the service line makes you vulnerable to lifts.

Practice, practice, practice. It will likely take hours.

#3 Charlie-SWUK, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

Depending on level of play and your opponent, a very high forehand serve may be a better choice especially for intermediate or below.

5. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Tough situation,

I'm trying to get used to the backhand serve and was punished severely too. It has to do with my bad positioning and footwork.

Netshots are usually fine as I can simply move forward fast enough, but the clears are the problem. I think my positioning is wrong as I,m a bit too forward and not biased. Lee Jong bak explained in his video, we must be a bit biased in positioning and mind. CMIIW, I think it was 70-30. In our position, we must be more prepared for the straight return, but in our mind we must be more prepared for the crosscourt return.

example:
    I serve Low BackHand from the right, That means opponent is at the left. So I position my self a bit more to the left, but in my mind I prepare more for the crosscourt.

and then there is the footwork. I'm still slow and often tangle my feet when moving to the back. Contrary to the usual "weak on the backhand side" I'm weaker at the forehand side, the reason is I can't use body rotation to aid my move to the back, and moving to the forehand needs 2 steps while the backhand only needs one step. still need to practice more

Last, there is the heart. As i can only train from games, I stubbornly just used the backhand serve. It's kind of frustating that you lose easy points because of those clears after your serve, but you will learn what is wrong with your positioning and footwork from that.

I agree with Visor, that it is more easier to do the high forehand serve. although you lose the initiative, just by a block to the net from their smash or drop is enough to get out of trouble. even better if they reply with a clear which means the initiative is handed back.

my other tips is seeing how the pro's play. Look at their feet, look where they position themselves, where do they face, how do they turn, look at the racket hand and non-racket hand, how they rotate their body.