Ideal Body Posture

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ipang_bam, Jan 6, 2016.

1. ipang_bam

ipang_bam Regular Member

Engineer, Badminton Coach
    Hi everyone...what's you're oppinion about the ideal body posture for badminton athlete (men's and women's player) ? You can mention it with name player and the reason you're choosing him/her, maybe the technique, aggility, type play, physical and others..thank you..

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Posture is static, badminton is dynamic... You need to provide more context

3. Kikuhito Senshi

Kikuhito Senshi Regular Member

project manager
    Posture will depend upon attacking or defending, position on court, etc.

Defending should be low and crouched, ready to spring.

Attacking net player should be more upright, big, imposing, alert, racquet up and "cocked" or slightly pulled back and ready to intercept.

and so on ..

4. dontmakeme

dontmakeme Regular Member

student
    As stated above, badminton is dynamic so your posture changes to deal with different situations.

Basics wise... neck and head straight, straight back, upper back held but not tight, bend with your hips if needed, knees bent, legs loaded, calves loaded.

Reason why you need posture is because of biomechanics. The posture is the base of your body allowing you to be consistent and stable. Imagine trying to hit a smash while you are stumbling.

5. captivated

captivated Regular Member

Good question, may I chime in some questions too.

Basically I have been crouching and on my balls of my feet all this time, however I felt that something is still missing. Until recently, I found out that my upperbody was too upright (i dont lean forward), in another words, I wasn't low enough and this has hampered my movement in fast rallies. Hence nowadays I am reminding myself to keep lean forward a little more.

Now for the question, do you guys keep your balance low (perhaps crouching or bending the upper body) after a clear/drop/smash from the backcourt. I am in the transition to change my habit of standing upright after my clears/drops/smashes especially in doubles in which I tend to admire my shots most of the time. This has hampered my recovery to the front when the opponent makes a blockshot to the net.

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    It is best to keep a low posture at all times - specifically what is important is keeping the feet wide apart (keeping them together is very slow), and keeping the hips and knees bent. The closer you can get your knees to a 90 degree bend, the more powerful your movements will be. However, in order to do that and remain balanced, you need to bend at the hip as well so that your upper body is leaning slightly forwards.

Here is a quick tip for anyone struggling to find a good posture:

1. Stand up straight with feet slightly more than shoulder width apart.
    2. Wider feet is good up to about double shoulder width. If you stand "too wide" then you will struggle for agility. (Note: it is possible, with practice to get a wide base and be agile, but takes lots of training. It also changes the way you need to move and the steps you need to take.)
    3. Assume a squat position so that the knees stay behind the toes (ideally directly above the ankles), the knees are bent to around 90 degrees, and your upper body is as upright as possible. As with all squat positions, your weight will be on your heels (bad for badminton!).
    4. Now shift your weight forwards by gradually leaning the upper body forwards. Do not change the bending of the knees or anything like that, but slowly allow yourself to lean your entire weight forwards.
    5. Do this until your heels come slightly off the floor - you are now "on your toes".

This final position leaves you on the balls of your feet, with your knees bent and hence leg muscles "loaded", and with your weight sat evenly between your two feet. These are all very good things for your stance! Try to emulate this feeling on court, by remembering the following:
    1. feel like you are sat down in the middle between your two feet
    2. make sure the legs are bent
    3. make sure the weight is shifted slightly forwards so you are on the balls of your feet

Good luck. Let me know if you tried this and if it works for you.

7. phili

phili Regular Member

What you should avoid is bent too much at the hips when moving. You won't be able to play as consistent or recover as fast as if the torso/ground angle is too small (80° is probably good). That being said you can't always maintain this under pressure. Also in your ready/defending position the angle can be smaller, around 60°.

8. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Just remember to take the shuttle as high as possible, even with this posture, if you kick through you can still reach up and straighten out a bit to contact.

9. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Good point. The posture I mentioned is most applicable when ready or when moving. During the hit, you still have to reach up!