how to generate more swing power for smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by marc1978, Dec 10, 2015.

1. marc1978

marc1978 Regular Member

Hello,
    i can hit hard and directly with zforce II but i want to chance to even balance not less stiff rackets. So i played Victor BS12L for about an half year, really nice racket but my smashes wasnt good, not fast enough.

So my problem:

zf2 -> hard, good smash
    bs12l -> to slow, shuttles not fast (powerull) enough (in doubles and singles)

What kind of Exercises could i try, train to make faster smashes with lighter, even balanced rackets please?

With the Brave Sword 12 L its easier to play but still missing the "smash power" form ZF2 but i think its just a question about the speed... how can i train it?

Any Ideas?
    Thanks!

Marc

2. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Better timing n more wrist action(generally) n more fluid smashing motion.
    It is always a lot harder (more difficult) to produce a hard smash with an even-balanced racket than with a headheavy one.

3. marc1978

marc1978 Regular Member

thanks, yeah its much harder, but when i see people smashing with jetspeed, flashboost... i am askin myself, why i cannot hit the shuttle so fast like they can... where is the secret..

4. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Timing, that's the secret. Someone told me u have to try to swing not the hardest, but the FASTEST. And yet it's all about timing because u still have to make sure to control where the smash goes.

Accurate smash placements are much more effective than brute smashes.

#4 sautom88, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  5. marc1978

marc1978 Regular Member

i read the same, swinging fast not hard, but thats the point, how to train? footwork, time... everything is ok, also a good smash tech but still not fast enough. my backcourt clears are my only option right now, ok some drops too but no really attacking... yonex world rekord was hit with a nano z speed, same specs as jetspeed... so it must be more effktive hitting with rackets like this as hitting zforce.

are there any hitting or smashes videos for learning? i see some people just swing minimal but in a great smash result...

6. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
  7. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
  8. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Hand strength and finger power.

The head heavy racket is helping you because you're squeezing. The head weight carries the racket forward fast enough that your arm tenses to stop it moving. You don't need to do this with the even balanced racket.

Good timing on hand squeeze/finger power is vital for developing advanced level shot quality.

9. marc1978

marc1978 Regular Member

Thanks for Vids and tips!

10. nilavu

nilavu Regular Member

Regular & Boring
    I know grip power..but what is finger power ??

11. amleto

amleto Regular Member

finger power is the added shot power that comes from holding your racket loosely so that there is space between the handle and they fatty part of your palm. This provides room for accelerating the racket upon grip tightening

He is an english subtitled video from the slo motion technique thread. This is finger power for net kills

https://youtu.be/kwPTMLIBbTY?t=789

This is for overheads:
    [video=youtube;EZzJiKDYtEc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZzJiKDYtEc[/video]

12. marc1978

marc1978 Regular Member

Thanks for Video, hmm, never seen this bevor, at net i use my thumb to kill, i am not the typical wrist player. I use a nearly looking finger action for slow cross plays...

13. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    The thing is, if you hold something tightly, then you forearm is already tensed. If the muscle is already tensed, how can activate it on the swing? If you never tense, then you're still not activating the muscle. You need to tense at the right time to activate all of the muscles in your forearm. To do this, you need to use finger power. Loose grip on the racket until you want to strike.

This is also taught in fighting sports such as martial arts to increase power transfer.

14. Xryence

Xryence Regular Member

Many players think that the smash is all about your swing and your wrist work but if u have tried improving on those but still did not get the effect you want, i would advice you to do more footworks and squats, the lower body plays an important role on your power generation and footwork, it is probably the most important factor to how your shots are generated

15. Petersen

Petersen Regular Member

In the early 80's I was Junior, My club SIF had the honour, having Flemming Delf as guest-trainer for some hours Big time :) the lessons was focusing especially on backhand clearing and backhand smash of course,,
    I don't know if any of you guys remember or heard about Delf's smash,, Typically when he walked into the fight his bag was full of rackets, when he walked out the bag was empty, the quality rackets wasn't yet on the highest :) What impressed me most wasn't the hard smash but his offensive backhand cross clearing, the length and accuracy
    At the training session (we was around 10 boys) he focused on the flow in the play and pointed out the importance of being happy and relaxed, then the timing more or less would come naturally by itself with the basic feet technique.,, well his ability to generate power was for sure timing and his might relaxed but controlled play style where he never power smashed if he wasn't positioned, but with his racket nearly dangling in hand, he did create a good swing speed,, in the very hit, tighten fingers, let the wrist follow( if you can) and move forward in the split second (if you can) Delf was at that time a tall compact player over 90 kg
    Our differences in anatomy play a large part too and what fits you and your size weight etc. my double partner a Blacksmith, can smash standing on one leg (just kidding) and make feather-pancake, here we talk, a long very heavy arm with a heavy long racket,, off course it's fun for him, and as long he pay for the shuttles we don't care :) Personally I prefer to find the lines and make fast steep cross smashes with short swing,, with not to tight fingers you can adjust or even change your mind in a split second to a surprising drop or clear and visa versa so if you're into camouflage and tricks, grip technique is total necessary... if you're new into those experiments, I recommend starting with old rackets, I've seen quite a lot rackets fly together with the bird on that account :)

Cheung and visor like this.
  16. T.O.P

T.O.P Regular Member

I would advise you to train your footwork.
    Nothing wrong with a ZFII stiff racket to give you good smash and 12L mid flex to give you responsive but less power in smash.
    I assume most probably Footwork and the way you Grip your racket went wrong.
    Power generation it's all about the position of your hitting point, and it's goes back to your footwork.:)

Cheung likes this.
  17. PracticalPlay

PracticalPlay New Member

One more practical point to add, your abs/core for the smash. Crunch it during the impact gives you a higher speed shuttle. Do not miss this point! :)

Coming from a practical recreation player point of view..