Gamma Switch Action Cam-Lock or Spinfire Automatic Base Clamp

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kennethfong, Nov 22, 2015.

1. kennethfong

kennethfong Regular Member

Guys,

I own Premium Stringer 3600 with Wise.

The existing base clamp has seen some wear and tear over the years and that it's a pain to use without any spring assisted actions.

I'm looking up to replacing the two base clamps with some automatic base clamps, and now looking up between the two below:

1) Gamma Switch Action Cam-Lock - http://www.atssports.com/tennis.cfm?product=759
    2) Spinfire Automatic Base Clamp - http://www.tenniswarehouse.com.au/spinfire-automatic-base-clamps-cc94ea7639.html

Question is, which unit fits into my Premium Stringer 3600? I'm inclining towards the Gamma for its quality but I don't seem to find any technical specs of dimension on the Gamma's.

2. kennethfong

The one thing I forgot to mention, the fixed clamps that I'm using now has a 12mm post and thus both Gamma and Spinfire accepts 12mm so this is fine. The one thing I'm of concern, is the mounting side to the base rail of the stock PS3600.

3. kennethfong

I just received the reply from ATS Sports, they have 2 versions of auto base clamps and the closest they have for my machine works with 11mm thickness and 13mm width. My machine has a 8mm thickness and 14mm width.

Therefore it appears the only way out to forcing myself using Gamma MSAC is to custom make or fabricate a whole new aluminium tracks, which unfortunately are just not worth the effort to spend the $.

4. kennethfong

I had a chat with the MRT of ATS, the latest new design of Gamma automatic clamp bases are machined to fit the curved rail style on the new Gamma machines, but they share the same 14mm width except that the thickness measure is 4mm. I'm not sure of any difference neither does it really matter for the same base clamps that goes into a straight rail or a curved rail. Thus, I'll order a pair of them Gamma beauties and try machine a new bottom brass on it and see how it works.

Opinions, suggestions?

#4 kennethfong, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I have the Gamma base on my 6004. They work very well, sturdy and not difficult to engage/disengage.

be sure to post pics of your mod when you are done with it!

6. kennethfong

Thanks mate, the reason I am going all out for Gamma upgrade is because I'm looking forward to get a pair of Toyo clamps in the future, the Toyo clamps have a 12mm posts, and therefore the Spinfire Automatic is out of the game coz it uses a 12.2mm post.

The Gamma auto bases cost a bomb and once they have arrived, I'd still need to figure out how to fit the original Gamma for use with 4mm thickness plates against my existing 8mm.

My current draft proposal I have in mind:

Either I machine a new 304 stainless steel rail with a 4mm thickness (which is not advisable because it will then be almost the same height with the turntable surface and potentially creates unnecessary friction to the rotation of those clamp bases in action); OR

I need to find a way to modify the T bottom base of the Gamma automatic clamp bases, and:

a) I suspect the allen screws in the new bottom base may be too short for its 4mm use, so probably a replacement of those screws to a longer one may work well; OR

b) Drill some holes to my existing old bottom base to fit the new clamp base, provided always that the screw thread fits perfectly; OR

c) Combination of above or worst case, machine a new bottom base block.

Does anyone have a picture of the latest Gamma MSAC-12 automatic clamp bases? I wanna see the bottom base and eliminate some of those options I laid down above...

#6 kennethfong, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015