Beginner advice please!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by wayneldn, Nov 11, 2015.

1. wayneldn

wayneldn New Member

Hello everyone.
    I'm Wayne. I'm new to the forum so sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

I have begun playing badminton again after not playing since school. Now 29.

Playing once weekly with a freind from work and he is DESTROYING me!

He is more experienced than me but by no meens an expert.

The main issue seems to be he has a reply for each of my returns and constantly has me running back and forth until I fail to return a drop shot.
    He does thos over and over again and I cant figure out how to combat it.

Is there any tips or anywhere I can look for advice on how to be the person dictating the game rather than the person running around like a headless chicken!

Any advice would be great

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Nothing counts for more than experience. Need to practice drills and play more to get a feel of the court lines/space, net tape height, etc.

3. vixter

vixter Regular Member

It's simple, he has better shots. Since he has an experience advantage over you, he will continue to beat you if your weekly game is the only time you play. If you really want to beat him you probably need to take some lessons or find more people to play with so that you get to spend more time on the court.

4. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...o-improve-your-game-not-racket-nor-your-smash

5. carvalhosa

carvalhosa Regular Member

service industry
    Most basic is your footwork.
    Second is able to hit to four corners
    Other skills will come in slowly
    Practice! Practice! & practice!

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

make sure your grips are correct! see badminton bible.com

7. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    what standard are you? im looking forward training partners. i currently play for Surrey sports park team, where the surrey smashers play in Guildford.

Im a level 1 coach and an intermediate standard player.

But the answer to your question is just practice. Drills. get consistent. One you have confidence in your court coverage and full repertoire of shots, you need to focus on rally building and how you want to set up your game.

8. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    reading the story again, your friend is actually "playing you" sending you wherever he wants front and back. It's the classic clear and dropshot. heck, you may be even his practicing partner to check how his clear and dropshots are.
    the answer is you need to be better, by practice and learning.

from the story it seems you need to work on your footwork and shots first then tactics.

Focus on your footwork on the ready position and split step and the steps to move front and back. Do it right first then speed it up.

For the shots, learn the correct grip and swing. try to place your shots rather than just randomly hit the shuttle. From the looks of it, I think you just hit it to the middle or easy places that are easily retrieved by him. Practice to have a good clear and drop shot plus the ability to play net blocks and net shots.

Don't just be a sand bag by always lifting and try to smash everything.

Don't be discouraged if the shots are retrieved. be patient, This is a singles game where the mentality is like a chess. Every thing has its timing/