Footwork for Receiving a Smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Vishnu, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Regular Member

Auditor
    In doubles when the shuttle is lifted to the opponents and I would be expecting a smash or drop from the opponent I generally go for a wide stand i.e two legs apart, body slightly bent.The problem with this stand is that when the opponent does a good drop shot I do not gather enough pace to go to the shuttle for a return.

Kindly let me know what is correct position in doubles when the shuttle is lifted to the opponents so that whether it is a smash or a drop I can return the shuttle without much problem.

2. sebZeroToHeroes

sebZeroToHeroes Regular Member

Sports video review platform dev
    Difficult to say exactly without seeing your stance, but it doesn't sound bad.

The issue you may be having is planting your feet on the ground too early instead of staying on your toes to keep mobility until you know what attack you'll be facing

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

It's important to split step. Are you doing one?

4. Vishnu

Vishnu Regular Member

Auditor
    What is split step?? Can you please explain..
    One thing I understood was that I am not on my toe and may be that could make a big difference. My stand is legs apart, body bent and feet strongly grounded (not on toes) may be that could be the reason why I am late to reach the shuttle

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Your stance should be on your toes more. The phrase "strongly grounded" actually means "flat footed". You need your heels off the ground, so that when its time to move you can lower the heels and push off the floor.

A wide stance is very good.

The reason you can't get forwards for drop shots is that you have not got your racket foot forwards. If you have the racket foot slightly in front, then you give yourself the option of pushing forwards and backwards, as well as side to side. If the feet are only in a straight line, parallel to the net, then you can only move quickly from left to right. As soon as you put one foot slightly forwards, you can move quickly in all directions.

The split step is important for all footwork. However, for a quick short term fix, you need to improve the foot positioning of your current stance.

Good luck.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php/140702-Split-step-Landing-on-Heels-or-balls-of-feet

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/92849-Split-step-in-badminton

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/112826-Coach-Lee-Jae-Bok-intial-jump-step-really-necessary

This will get you started

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  8. Vishnu

Vishnu Regular Member

Auditor
    Thanks Cheung .. very informative .. wil lstart practicing

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Have your weight slightly leaning forward, but not too much. But more importantly keep your centre of mass low by bending your knees (not just your body) - don't bend your knees too much otherwise it will restrict your movement and may put excessive stress on your knees. Split step as mentioned above.

Generally have your body facing where the shuttle is coming from. Racquet should be well in front of your body and not restrict your movement. I usually have one foot slightly in front of the other, as there is a little more leverage to launch yourself towards the net.

Focus on the moment the shuttle leaves the racquet of your opponent and react right away. Subconsciously your mind will be used to looking for clues in the stroke and the body motion but you could be deceived.