Correct technique to test shuttles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by techno79, Nov 5, 2015.

1. techno79

techno79 Regular Member

Hi. I play at an advanced social level. My overall technique is far from perfect but I have no problems clearing the shuttle from base line to base line. I am able to smash quite hard (which has been specifically mentioned by many players who are considerably better than me).

I know the correct length a shuttle needs while testing shuttles (as explained here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AZbQBR90Yw)

However, no matter how hard I hit the shuttle, it is often 2 to 3 feet short of the double service line. It's almost embarrassing. I know it's down to technique because players who struggle to smash and clear as hard as me during the rally are able to get further length during testing the shuttle.

I've seen slow motion video of people striking the shuttle during tests but it hasn't helped. Can someone please describe in words how one goes about striking the shuttle with proper technique to get the proper length?

TIA

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Words aren't going to help more than that video. Lead with the elbow (supinate), cock then wrist, then reverse: pronate and uncock the wrist.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

What amleto said.

And concentrate on a sharp focused strike right at the sweetspot. Try out different angles, higher or lower a bit at a time.

In the end it's not about the power, but technique. And if you want to see the best techniques, watch slow mo videos of pro WS players high serve.

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I would suggest that you just need to hit a few. DO NOT worry about the slow motion technique - its just not relevant. Hit it like you would hit a hard forehand drive/clear from deep in the court that is intended to get you out of trouble. Thats the technique. It doesn't matter if it goes really flat, or really high, generally it will land in about the same place.

Some other thoughts:
    Some players test the shuttle using a high singles serve. If it lands near the back line, its fine, if the shuttle lands way out then its fast, and you will be able to tell from feel and sight if its a bit slow - it will just have something missing.

Secondly, if you know that for a "good" speed shuttle, that when you test it it lands a couple of feet short, then thats fine. Use that as your judgement. If it doesn't get that close its slow. If it reaches the back doubles line its fast. Thats it.

A final question though: if all 4 players tested the shuttle, do the other 3 all land in the "correct" place, but yours is short. Then thats fine - what I said above is fine. However, if only 1 player can get it to the "correct" place, and the others are all considerably short, are you ACTUALLY playing with a correct speed shuttle? Or is it slow?

Cheers!

5. visor

visor Regular Member

^ He's more concerned about his technique than the right vs wrong shuttle speed. ;)

6. techno79

techno79 Regular Member

Thank you all for the responses. I tried doing this yesterday and I'm still struggling. I think I need to ask some of my fellow team mates who are able to test them properly to teach me when it's quiet. Will be nice to get to that point.