is this a legit tactic? not playing a perfect net shot, enticing your opponent...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by thumpsky, Oct 29, 2015.

1. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    to go for the kill, and it goes into the net?

someone told me pros practice this.

2. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Interesting tactic, I definitely have done this in some more casual games when lifting from a drop shot or a smash to tempt the person at the net to try a swing which I drove or lifted just out of his reach, causing him or her to mishit.

Of course this is something I would not do against a player you have not played before. This is something once you get a good judge of the opponent's physical ability and technique. Otherwise you would just be putting yourself at a disadvantage.

3. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

to me this sounds harder to execute than a well placed "usual" shot

4. sebZeroToHeroes

sebZeroToHeroes Regular Member

Sports video review platform dev
    I wouldn't do it on purpose either. It relies on your opponent making a bad decision (attacking while they are not able to), and the punishment for missing your shot (ie play an even worse shot than intended) is usually a winning net rush for your opponent

5. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    It's a tactic I've used. It can work well on serves, with almost a faux flick serve. The aim is to the put the shuttle very close to the service line, at a height between their shoulder and their head. The kill and smash will go into the net. Danger is, experienced opponents will be able to drive this. It is also like the flick in that you shouldn't expect it to work constantly. You can get one, maybe two points with this tactic.

Again during a rally, you do the same thing, you take the pace off of a drive and put it at around that position, and they may get lured into playing a smash they don't have the angle to produce.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

This tactic can only be used against players you know well at intermediate levels.

At lower levels, they won't even know how to net kill, and at advanced levels, that's a perfect opportunity for net kill. At intermediate levels, however, that's when they're tempted to do a net kill because they usually can, but a borderline net shot will cause them to think and hesitate, and it's in that moment of hesitation that delays them and allow the shuttle to fall too much, leading to a failed net kill.

7. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    it might be. the idea is that people have seen the tightest tumbling net shots before, and react instinctually by lunging and doing a huge lift.

On the other hand, this shot causes a moment of indecision, because it's almost in no man's land. Lift or kill?

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If I used this, I would need to assess,

a) the ability of the opponent

b) my own ability to spin the shuttle to induce the random factor

We need to know whether this is for doubles or singles game. It is a tactic, just whether it is a useful one and at what stage of the match to use is also important.

In singles, I never go for the kill on these; going for a kill on 50:50 shots is a sure way of losing the point:

a) you have a probability of losing the point of 0.5 because it goes in the net.

b) if the shuttle goes over, it's not a sure kill. The opponent may hit a shot back over your head. So your ultimate probability of winning the point drops to less than 0.5.

#8 Cheung, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  9. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    this is a doubles tactic.

it's not so much about spinning the bird, but enticing the front player with JUST ENOUGH lift to go in for a dubious kill.

10. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    Who said you have to Kill? opponent can just pretend to kill as they may LOOK like they have an advantage and just brush the shuttle down, or hit it anywhere else!

What i HAVE heard of though is playing a net shot further away from the net... because a tight net shot is fairly easy to return with a tight net shot of your own if you get their early enough for have good touch. But if the net shot is more like 1/2 feet away from the net, its MUCH harder to judge a the net shot return.

but like Cheung said very much depends on the ability of your opponent. As some opponents will take even 1/2 and 1/4 chances and just BURY everything.
    PS. Cheung, joined a club that has Rob Adcock and Hayley Adcock in it too. So much better playing with people of a better standard. Makes the games much more interesting. Plus point... Rob said i was FAST!

11. sebZeroToHeroes

sebZeroToHeroes Regular Member

Sports video review platform dev
    The net shot further away is a very good defensive move, typically in Singles. Either as a serve (throwing your opponent's timing and precision off) or when you're on the backhand at the back (you hit something between a drive and a dropshot in the center)

12. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    agree with Seb:p

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

if they are experienced, they won't be tempted for a kill unless they have 70-80% or more of putting the shuttle away.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

[MENTION=7529]yippo888[/MENTION]

That's nice of him not to say your service is awful...;)

15. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    THANKS cheung! Ive actually mostly fixed that. in fact i served better against him than i have in a long time. lol.

16. amleto

amleto Regular Member

For some reason this question reminds me of some chess situations. In chess you're often told to play the best possible move for the position. DO NOT rely on your opponent to play along with any ill-intention you may have. This translates into

* do not lay traps if the opponent can avoid it and end up in a better position than if you hadn't set the trap
    * do not go for beautiful sacrifices if there is an objective defense

So to me, the tactic in discussion *is not* a legit tactic because a) the oppo could be fast enough and kill it, or b) you just gave them more time and made it easier for them to play any other shot that they want.

If you know you opponent so well that they will get 'fooled' into this AND play into the net, then your psychological warfare is leagues ahead of your opponents technical skill level. Go pick on someone your own size :)

17. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    another thing is aiming right at your opponents racket for a punch lift.

they will try to smash it and it's often times a mishit.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

read carefully post #15, the one directly above yours.

But if it works for you, I have no issue with the tactic.

19. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

net and mishits if you're playing lower level players, I don't believe that pros practice this as some of them are even too fast on their feet for those brush, tap or kills, as I've seen more really tight net shots with top pros (they just have this eye of eagle and will go for kill if the shuttle's just a bit floating )

20. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member