Receiver Fault

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by PeterPanPan, Sep 20, 2015.

1. PeterPanPan

PeterPanPan Regular Member

Merchant
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

it was not a fault... stupid umpire was too aggressive without being very sure of her call

you can see the slow mo replay a few secs later... even gill clark questions the calls

incredulously she calls another same fault at game point first game...

the korean girls and the korean spectators didn't make a big fuss over them because their culture respects the authorities, maybe a bit too much some times

if this had happened in china, denmark, malaysia, indonesia etc to their players, there would definitely be loud booing

if this had happened during the olympics, and the spectators can see the erroneous call on instant slow mo replay overhead, surely it would cast a bad light on bwf

note to umpires: be very sure of your calls, or don't call it if you're not sure

#2 visor, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  3. phihag

phihag Regular Member

The laws say

Therefore, umpires look just at the feet of the players. In this case, the left foot is the problematic one (normally, players who step with their right commit the fault with their right foot). The Korean player seems to move her foot upwards, then rotate it, and then go down again, instead of rotating on the ground. Look closely:

[​IMG]

At this frame, we can already see a small shadow below the left foot. One frame later (after the service has been struck), it's more obvious:

[​IMG]

I think the confusion stems from the fact that after rotating the left foot, the Korean player does not move her right foot at all for quite a while.

I can certainly see a fault call being justified. Based on the video, I wouldn't have called this receiver fault. While I disagree with [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION]'s assessment and tone, I do agree that umpires should be careful when calling faults:

4. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

edit- scrap that.

You are right Phihag after looking at the video on 24" screen in slow motion with pauses I saw it quite clearly:D liftoff just before serve, good catch. God know how the official got the call right was fractions in it.

#4 craigandy, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Saying this, as you can clearly see in the first picture, where the server holds and then goes on to contact, the top of the shuttle is level with a very raised elbow, There is a way clearer fault happening with the server but serve height is fair game, where as a fraction of a movement off the ground a fraction of a second before delivery is called. Unbelievable really.

#5 craigandy, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  6. visor

visor Regular Member

Maybe I was a bit too harsh, but really? The umpire can tell with her eyes that the foot moved 1-2 mm off the ground just 1/30th of a second before the server strikes the shuttle which she uses her peripheral vision to detect?

I mean, it's only on frame by frame analysis that we can see how close it was, but dang...

7. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    May be it's just my screen but I can't see anything in those two photos that suggests her foot was off the ground? :confused:

8. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Haha I don't blame you. Get a large monitor, put the vid clip in HD expand it to full screen, slow it down to the slowest .25 or whatever and then watch it 20 times frame by frame then you will see easy:D At least that's what i had to do. The photo's aren't clear enough but it guides you in what to look for.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... if we have to do that to see the fault, then the umpire must really have super Eagle Eye, even surpassing Hawkeye... ;)

10. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    Haha, we should have a challenge for umpire and service faults.

11. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Why? I can't remember a single time when a service or receiver fault turned out to be unwarranted in a SuperSeries level match. Can you name one?

Not that I'm against an IRS for service faults. Most likely, this would empower service judges to (correctly) fault next to every serve of some players until we get to serves that actually follow the rules.

12. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    Maybe the one that started this thread off :D

13. H8work

H8work Regular Member

umpire has to keep an eye on two things at once the person serve when made contact with the shuttle and movement of the receiver foot, i think it's just very hard to do. the shuttle is about chest high and the foot at ground level. in this case i think the umpire got it wrong comments of left foot rotating is rubbish. to me looking at the slow mo replay the body move in a bopping down action just before the racket made contact with the shuttle and i'm literally talking a millisecond but not the feet which is still legal,

14. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

It is very hard to see such fault in the video. Even though the angle is good you cannot see feet so well, not as good as when you sit in the chair. I think you guys should not be so aggressive to the umpires - they are just doing their work. And don't assume that if you think it is hard to see at the same time both server and receiver, than it is impossible to call difficult fault correctly...

To me it seems that she did jump up slightly before the serve was finished. By the way Gill is seems a bit against umpires lately, commenting often against clearly correct faults...

Note to posters: be very sure of your critique of the umpires, or don't call them names if you're not sure... ;-)

15. visor

visor Regular Member

in my mind, injustice via wrong calls is worse than missed calls

here's another one... start at 17:53

even playing at regular vs 1/4 speed, it's not a fault

close calls like these should not be called... it spoils it for the players, it spoils it for the spectators, and viewers like us who can slow it down to see for ourselves

all i'm asking is err on the side of innocent until clearly proven guilty

[video]https://youtu.be/-enkiJb2u_w[/video]

#15 visor, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  16. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

I agree that injustice is bad, but I am not convinced that missed calls are not so bad :). Receiver fault is a very notorious one and tends to finish the rally very quickly... Personally I think it must be called more often than we usually see.

You need to realize that you never see when umpire restrains from calling a close one. You don't know how many times it happens. The player might have a history doing something and might even won some rallies as a result. The umpire would than have to act on a close one in order to stop it repeating...

Regarding ruining the game... it goes both ways. Not calling the faults would be unfair for the other side and will ruin the game for them. Regarding spectators? What are you talking about - faults attract a lot of attention and give food for discussions. What's not fun about it? :)

The video you linked... You really don't see that Jordan lifted his foot on the back motion of the server's racket?

17. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

You sure your watching the right one? The rotating left foot was clearly the motion she used that is 100% (see pictures below). I could understand if you could not see the lift off prior to end of delivery because it's hard, but the foot rotation is clear.

At start of servers back swing look at receivers foot
    1.jpg

Just after serve has been delivered
    3.jpg

I could put in more pictures of in between(so before serve had finished) but to show the point of her foot rotating only, this is best. Notice the foot direction change i.e rotating.

If you watch the slow mo and put your youtube setting speed to 0.25 I believe you will see thing clearer.

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

What do you mean another one? This is the one we have been looking at all along right? Its just the replay of the one tagged by the op.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Sorry, the time index didn't work first time. Fixed it. Here it is again.

XD final Thai Open just concluded.
    Start at 17:53.

[video]https://youtu.be/-enkiJb2u_w[/video]

20. visor

visor Regular Member

You do make some very good points.

But still, what if some players have a super fast reaction time like Jordan and are able to anticipate low *or* flick serves faster than others... and are still after the serve is struck?

The example I gave was even on a flick serve! Think about it... he was not fooled by a flick serve and was able to respond very quickly to it. If he was always rushing the low serve, he would have been very late or delayed on that flick serve.

I'll watch more slow mo of Jordan's receiving and see if he ever lifts his feet before serve is struck. But I'm thinking he's just a fast dude.