If you must lift for a low service return, where is the best place to lift? (Doubles)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by BaddyBunny, Sep 9, 2015.

1. BaddyBunny

BaddyBunny Regular Member

Hi,
    I understand lifting should be the last option when someone is serving low to you, but if you have to where is the best place to lift to?
    I saw a video by coach Lee saying you shouldn't lift to the corners because they can smash easily straight and you and your partner will have a hard time getting it. I always thought that is the best place to lift if you have to for returning a low serve since you make them move.

If this is not the case, where would be the best place to lift if you have to after someone serves low to you?

#1 BaddyBunny, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  2. Arrowken

Arrowken Regular Member

I think lifts can be to the corners as long as its high enough. 1) to move the back player 2) give you and your partner enough time to rotate and defend properly.

3. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

edited [wrong understanding]

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    The best place is to lift to the corners, but with plenty of height (as stated by arrowken). Lifting down the middle is not a good idea as it gives your opponent the most damaging possible straight smash. I do not know what video you watched. Post a link?

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep, when practicing lifts, if you can consistently get it high and into the corner box (for doubles)... that would be perfect.

6. Arrowken

Arrowken Regular Member

I can remember a video tutorial of his when he was discussing smash defence against an attacking doubles pair. His point was a lift to corner should not be the default return (because it will likely just continue the smashes), but rather aim to do flat returns ideally to the sides. Is that the video you are referring to?

7. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

It depends on the level of play and what kind of lift you get to play.

At lower levels of play or against a player whose back court play is not decent, you can lift anywhere and the player will have trouble returning your lift. Against a slower but decent player at the back court, I will choose fast attacking lift if I can do it and lift right at the middle so he/she can't do anything but clear or drop back. Fast attacking lifts to the corners will also do the trick for players who are slow.

At higher levels of play, lifting high to the corners and aiming for the square box is preferable to open up the court, especially against the straight smash. Whoever can defend that straight smash and drive it cross court back will put the back court player under a lot of pressure and change their attack to defend or even lose the point. If you watch professional WD players play, sometimes they do this and the back court player will have no choice but to perform a full underhand clear or don't even have a chance to get to the shuttle.

8. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    I assume he's refering to the line of sight and visual size of the shuttle. With the shuttle traveling to my left/right sides - towards the corner, the visual size of the shuttle is larger. Whereas, when the shuttle is view directly towards me and overhead it's smaller. Time corectly and if receiver is at mid position, this lift is first mask by the partner, second if receiver is not expecting it, the sudden lifting of head up presents the eyes with glare from the lights even they are mounted on the side of court.

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I doubt very much that LJB is talking about that!

10. Arrowken

Arrowken Regular Member

I must say i have never considered using the visual size of the shuttle or lighting to my advantage.. :/

11. FeedingShuttles

FeedingShuttles Regular Member

student
    Defineteley second alien9113. Lift to the corner and anticipate the straight smash aggressively. Aim to intercept it as early as possible and play a crosscourt drive. This will turn the tables many times in your favour...

12. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    Only he knows..........We can only assume.

13. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    Try it........and if done correctly and in time the best receiver would be in for a rude awakening. Panic set in and the first light to greed you is the glare of the hall lighting.

14. amleto

amleto Regular Member

If we had a link to the video I'm pretty sure we could clear it up... never seen LJB talk about anything remotely connected to bizarre tactics based on shuttle visibility.

The difference in angle is not great enough to affect visibility. It's a crazy hypothesis to be honest.

15. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    Try it............ you never know. Sometimes the simplest of shot could be the best.