Third shot in doubles (When your partner serves)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by orangenetic, Sep 7, 2015.

1. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

There already is a thread similar to this but since it wasn't clear, I made another one.

So when my partner serves and the receiver drives it towards my partner and he wasn't able to receive it, what should I do?

There are two situations. One is when the drive is flat and towards the middle and the other one is when the drive is towards the ground and is going to the side.

When I try to lift in both situations, the lift is too weak.
    When I try to drive it back(When it's a flat Drive), the opponent in the front easily kills it or replies with a deeper drive.
    When I try to drop it(Straight drop), the opponent can easily move to kill it.
    When I try to cross drop it, it sometimes works but then i'm afraid that it's going to hit my partner.

To me, a drop sounds like the best solution because if the drop is tight on the net, the opponent will be forced to lift it or play a netshot. But since the opponent is still in the front after receiving the serve, it has to be a really tight drop.

What should I do?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Didn't we already cover this already?

There's no way you can play any drop in reply to a drive. And in any case, the serve receiver is already at the front ready to kill any loose shots.

Best for you is to drive back just over the tape preferably to his backhand side. If his partner is weaker of the pair, then don't be afraid to lift to him at the back.

And oh btw, your partner needs to spend a few hrs to practice perfecting his serves to prevent this situation from happening. ;)

3. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

If your partner serves is too high and he can't change it, he might as well do a flick serve 70% of the time.

4. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

Sometimes, the simple answer is to look across court and say these two words... "GOOD SHOT..!!!" :D

.....and then tell your partner to practice more on his serves.....
    .....maybe position yourself one or two steps back from your normal receiving position so that you are able to take the shuttle in front of you to give you a more effective return especially to clear it back to them.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    #5 Cheung, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  6. Signature

Signature Regular Member

For the flat drive I would suggest you try to push the shuttle downwards to this spot (vice versa if the reciever is in the other square): Badminton.jpg

Remember that you have to put speed in this shot, otherwise the opponent in the front will most likely kill it fast. For the other scenario, there aren't really many alternatives. Straight lifts or you could play a straight drive for aggression (depends how fast the opponents are/ where your opponent is positioned). Can be a great alternative just to mix things up.

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

OP, you can't play a drop off a drive, it's just a fact. I think you mean block. In this situation you shouldn't even try to play a block if you're contact is below the tape.

Build up some forearm strength so you can drive/lift back more effectively.

8. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

If you're under that much pressure, the best option is a deep lift instead of driving it back.

But you have to accept the fact that sometimes the shot your opponent played is just too good and you cannot play a good shot back.

9. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Oh. Yes. That OP didn't clarify.

11. Arrowken

Arrowken Regular Member

In the second scenario, since its heading towards the ground (and therefore below tape) and you are out of position, you can only really high lift it to the back of your opponent.

12. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Have a look at this video @4:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2WOdyZrprU

You can pause the video, or use slow motion, and see what happened to the receiver. This is a National level in U.S. (Final). The return (i.e. 3rd shot) went to the side. I won't call it a drive. What could the receiver do to that return?

Are you playing anywhere close to this level, or even above?

13. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

If the shuttle is above the height of the net when you contact, drive or smash it down depending on height. In some cases you might have to jump to make the intercept happen.

If it is lower:

1. Straight drop is the easiest option if he leaves it open. So, keep an eye on his position, if he backs off from the net go for this option.

2A. If he's looking to kill the straight drop return, you can change it up with a drive down the line if he's close to the net but too centered on the court instead of biased towards the side you're on.

2B. If he's guarding the drive return by standing over to the side, this opens up the cross-court drop return as an alternate change-up shot.

3. If you don't think you can make a play from the above 3 options, clear the bird high and deep to reset the play.

The important thing is the interplay between your different shot options and your opponent's positioning at the net. This is a common tactical situation pitting your skill vs that of the opposing front court player, in theory they should have the advantage but you should always look to capitalize on any openings they may leave for you.