Net Shot: Inward Or Outward Slice

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by HanBaddy, Sep 4, 2015.

1. HanBaddy

HanBaddy Regular Member

Dear BC-ers,

I would like your expert opinion on the following: When you have the option to choose, to perform a tight net shot, do you prefer an inward slice or an outward slice, provided that the distance between the contact point and the net is not too far for an outward slice and not too close to make an inward slice impossible?

Even though i can perform both comfortably, I'm not always 100% sure on which option would be the best in which situation during my singles games. When pitted against state level players, I prefer to spend my mental energy elsewhere and execute this delicate shot with more conviction.

To provide more context:
    • I believe that inward slices provide more disguise because you can convert them to a straight push or a cross net, whereas outward slices provide more stability and a greater tumbling/spinning effect (for me).
    • When the opponent drops cross court, it's easier to do an outward slice because the shuttle already angles towards the outside of the court.
    • When playing with a racquet with a heavier head, I feel more comfortable with the inward slice because the momentum of my moving body with the weight of the racquet is enough to carry the shuttle over the net in a tight fashion. When playing with a more even balanced racquet, it becomes harder to calculate how much finger movement is required to create the same effect, so I would prefer the outward slice here.
    • When re-netting a tight net shot by the opponent, I would also prefer the outward slice because again the stability reduces the risk of hitting the shuttle too low or too high.

I was wondering what your preferences may be during different situations, and why. I welcome all opinions. Thank you.

2. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I go with direction of shuttle travel. I think thats from Cai Yun in that video with the Fu HF slomo smash. If straight then I cut under it.

3. HanBaddy

HanBaddy Regular Member

That seems to be how I've been doing it as well, as it feels more natural. BTW, with inward I also meant to cut under it.

However, I've seen some players cut inwards despite the shuttle traveling outwards due to the higher degree of disguise/deception, and it makes me wonder if their rule of thumb is just to choose inward unless it compromises the quality of the net shot.

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

It's different for f/h versus b/h as well. On f/h side inward gives much more tumble than outward, but vice versa for b/h - outward gives more tumble there.

So if I have the choice I always go for tumble apart from when opponent is cross-court dropping to my forehand, in which case I spin outward to maximise the distance they have to cover.

Outward forehand is the least flexible in terms of disguise/hold flick (for me) because the wrist is already quite far cocked. Inward f/h you can turn into any net or flick quite easily, same for b/h inward and outward.

#4 amleto, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  5. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    I do love a good forehand outward tumble though. Looks the best, and gets the best results for me :).

6. HanBaddy

HanBaddy Regular Member

That's a good point Amleto, thank you. For now, I think a good way to go about it is to A) maximize disguise when the opponent is balanced and B) maximize their running distance when they're out of position.

Inward on both BH and FH is definitely more disguise, so i'll keep that in mind.

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I agree with the comments here. F/H net shots can be hit in both directions, based on the trajectory of the incoming shuttle. Note the in to out tumble has less spin but pushes the shuttle to the boundaries of the court, making your opponent have to run further. B/H netshots I only tend to hit one way from right to left.

Question: as a right hander, I can get a most spin slicing from right to left (for right hander: outward tumble on B/H and inward tumble on F/H) - can any left hander confirm if it is the same for them? I.e. its universally easier to slice the shuttle from right to left because of the feather orientation. This would be analogous to the regular slice for left handers and the reverse slice for right handers being easier than the other slices.

Cheers!

8. elkew

elkew Regular Member

any vids of these on YouTube?

9. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    [MENTION=47032]MSeeley[/MENTION]
    Yo Matt!

After learning left handed, yes it's the other way around. On forehand I'd spin from right to left (outwards and away from the net) and on backhand, left to right. You spin away from the net, as you know, to avoid contacting the net, but you can also spin the shuttle away from the netcord, reducing the likelihood of it getting caught in the net.

If you spin in towards the net, you reduce the control of the shuttle, which can be a double edged sword. Great if your contact is super high (like above net tape high) but dangerous if you're 2"+ below tape as you can spin the shuttle into the tape.

10. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Charlie - Very surprised! I would have thought the dominant factor was physiology, not feather handedness.

11. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Thanks for replying! Not sure I understand your point about net spins... I don't quite understand your descriptions! Sorry!