I lost eye of the tiger, and was slow ....

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by garra, Sep 4, 2015.

1. garra

garra Regular Member

Hi,
    Yesterday you can say was not my day. I'm 37, play singles, with VZF2. 190 cm, 95 kg, you can say I'm skinny. You know when you step on court and you feel like you are hypnotized, like someone is holding your legs.
    I played on last Thursday, and I was feeling good, 5-6 games, I could be fast even in my last game, legs were listening me .
    I played 2 days after that, Saturday, first 2 games i was flying then felt like my feets are not listening to me, lost initial explosion to shuttle and was like old lady. And I thought I need rest.
    I played yesterday , and during that 5 day pause I was concentrating my excercieses on calfs, calf raises on balls of feet, that put put hands behind back and be on toes and jump arround because I belived that stuff will benefit me to be quicker. Also there were excercieses like launges etc.
    Well , yesterday, I wasnt, I was like hipnotized. Slow on feet, initial start after split step was slow, I was dragging on court and my oponent was much faster and beat me easily.
    I know about Jim's chinese footwork videos etc. and I'm using that stuff but maybe I'm concentrating on wrong things. Maybe this calf pushing excerciese are waste of time ....

Please tell me, to get that explosion, to get that feeling, to be super fast, that eye of the tiger stuff where you can return smashes and have quick reaction backed up with legs that are listening to you so you can get quick behind the shuttle, what excerciese are the best?
    Yes you will say you should mix etc. etc. but please If I need to pick only one excercies which one will benefit me the most? And please keep in mind that I live in building and the noise I produce to lady below me should me minimal if possible.
    Please what excercies will benefit me the most to be faster and to last longer? I can tell you that I didnt lost my breath, I just felt like my legs are dead... Are those maybe burpees? Or launges? or full squat ? Or what? Please guide me what type of excercises should I do to get that fast Muhammad Ali legs.

thank you

#1 garra, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  2. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

weight training for thigh, calf, hamstring, leg, ropeskipping, cycling, footwork shadow, chinese steps,if you look at top players legs especially their thighs are huge

dont forget to do knocking (someone feeding shuttles and hitting with lots of reps), training fast feet alone wont help that eye of tiger, you have to also be fast with racket, you could train in a park for free or public gyms to not upset the neighbors (^o^)

3. garra

garra Regular Member

Thank you for your answer.
    Yes you are telling me to mix and I know I need to mix, but please I need more specific stuff. You also said "especially their thighs are huge".
    Please , does that mean that my assumption is wrong regarding putting effort on calfs. And that for me is better I put more effort on my thighs? Are thighs more immportant for explosiveness than calfs?

ps. come to think of it and try it, yes when i move from split step thighs work, and on monday I was whole day in car and probably lost more strenght, and working on calves my thighs got weaker. So thighs are way to go ?

ps2.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HBDQtYZN7o
    Yeaahh... Thighs .. not calves... stupid of me ...

many thanks

#3 garra, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  4. esbek

esbek New Member

If you are looking for one and only exercise, I would recommend doing power cleans. I have always found that they help me with explosiveness.

The problem is that this exercise requires some decent technique and access to the gym.

There are many instructional videos on youtube about power cleans, i.e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsEvA5cCrrU.

Also i do not think you should concentrate on specific body parts, try to incorporate more compund movements into your training regimen.

5. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

if I could only choose to do only one move it I guess it would be lunges(forward, side and back) , saw on Youtube that one first step to 8 corners is what explosiveness about by Rasmussen, but not sure if we could benefit just from doing one move though. (^_^)

6. garra

garra Regular Member

Thank you for suggesions. Yes I know one thing will not benefit me. I was just trying to get direction in which I should go and calfs, calfs, calfs is wrong, I made that mistake. I will be guided by video I put above in my reply mostly, that will do. That swingning dumbell/kettle is like cleans movemens and launges with weight etc.

7. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Could just be recovery time.

If you play/train hard your going to be destroying muscle fibres. They then grow back thicker & stronger. However, it takes time to do that & in that time your muscles will be weaker.

You can train technique everyday but not muscles.

Rather than train everything at once body builders train different parts so that they have time to recover so you get "Leg" day, "Arm" day, "Core" day. that gives each group 2-3 days recovery.

Oh & if your breaking down those muscles make sure you take the right proteins to rebuild them.

8. garra

garra Regular Member

Hi, yes you are right, tnx for mentioning that.
    Well its really hard for me to know which is it. I think this was issue with not training. I played yesterday and I was fine, aftre few days of doing leg stuff.
    Hmmm regardgin this recovery, do you maybe know approximately let say I one day push hard my legs with training. How long should I rest?

9. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Depends on your individual physiology,
    If I play/train at or close to 100% then I'd expect at least 2-3 days with the proper nutrition for the body to recover before being able to reach that level of intensity again.

I've noticed that at the start of a Season I'll start off OK. Peak at about a month or so in when I get Match "Sharpness" then tail off again as the little niggles/Injuries/Weariness accumulate.
    I'm guessing that's my bodies way of saying that I'm not allowing enough recovery time.
    Then the Christmas break kicks in and it starts all over again, peaking around Feb time.

I'd guess people who are playing 4-5 times a week aren't anywhere near to playing physically at 100% or are setting themselves up for a lot of injuries.