Improved gripper for pros pro challenger

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by DuckFeet, Aug 26, 2015.

1. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Im currently using paper to protect the string from the gripper (spring at the bottom?). Also the gripper sticks and fails to release sometimes. At least now the string is protected, just a bit slower than using a bare gripper for my own racquets.

Any ideas please? I've seen a replacement part on pros pro website but not confirmation if its a better gripper. I would hope its a case of a direct swap/improvement per the chudek side supports. Less sticking and no string damage are a must!

Thank you.

2. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    If it helps the Wise gripper is silky smooth...

3. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    No it doesn't. Shut up :)

Or remove it and send it to me!

Seriously though, is it available as a spare? I'll have a hunt around. I can't enjoy a wise if the wife kills me for buying it.

4. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    I reckon your best bet will be to take it apart and file off all the rough edges. I certainly wouldn't spend more money with Pro's Pro as they only seem to have one quality level, which is adequate at best.

5. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I think I've sussed the issue with the string being damaged. Just done 25lb with yellow vs850 from a pack as a test as I thought that's most likely to go bang/show damage.

Anyway. One of the 'pins', rolled metal tube with a lengthways gap, that hold the gripper together had the gap pointing upwards. The gap having sharp edges was damaging string when I didn't have the paper in to protect it.

I got a couple of pictures but I'm not sure how clear they are. I'm also not sure if pulling the string downwards I to the gripper will snag the springs. I don't think so but I'll go over my test stringed with my loupe.

Showing the gap,from underneath.
    [​IMG]

The spring
    [​IMG]

#5 DuckFeet, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  6. Randomlegend

Randomlegend Regular Member

School
    I had the same problem as this with the XP Plus (which I think is the same machine but with a stand, I forget).

It's definitely something down at the bottom. I stopped pushing the string right to the bottom of the gripper and haven't had the problem since, but I accept that's not an ideal solution.

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Cruising through some online shops, I just stumbled over this replacement gripper:

http://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/Be...g-Zubehoer/Schnellspanner-Premium-1-Stck.html

According to the description, it should fit to Discho and Tyger machines. I contacted the shop via e-mail and asked specifically if the gripper would fit on a PP Challenger. I got the response from the shop owner Mr. Schoell, that since that shop doesn't sell PP machines they can't tell it for sure or test it, but he assumes that the gripper should also fit. Apparently, the "Discho Veritas" machines are very similar to PP (maybe even from the same OEM?) and the replacement gripper does fit on them.

So [MENTION=96435]DuckFeet[/MENTION] if you are still looking for an improvement, maybe that could be a way to go.

8. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Great stuff, thanks. May be asking a favour of you if they don't ship to uk ;)

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Of course, I already have your address so no big deal!

In the meantime, I got some further information. The Discho Veritas machines are built by Eagnas. The column of this replacement gripper has a diameter of about 11.75 mm so this should be the most important value to see if it fits on the challenger.

Mr. Schoell from the shop is a very supportive and friendly guy, so I'm quite confident that you will figure out a way to get this thing to the UK.

In any way, keep me updated since I'm seriously considering to do the same upgrade if it really works.

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Just a short update in case there are some Pro's Pro Challenger users out there who are also struggling with the original gripper.

I finally ordered this replacement gripper:

http://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/Bes...um-1-Stck.html

First impressions: It is significantly better than the original one which came with the Challenger. The gripping plates show no rough edges and the whole gripping action is a lot smoother. The spring in between the plates is located further to the bottom of the plates so it's almost impossible to damage the string as it gets caught in the spring while gripping.

So I removed the original gripper to see if the new one would fit as a direct replacement. But sadly, the mounting bolt has a diameter of 11.75 mm and therefor needs a 12 mm mounting hole. Whereas the original mounting hole is only 10 mm in diameter. Solution was still quite easy - I took apart the whole tensioning arm and simply enlarged the mounting hole to 12 mm using a drill press.

And.... tadaaaaa...... I am soooo proud of my first actual machine-mod! :D

NjI5NkYwNDgtOEQxNS00RTZELTlDMjYtNkQ4RUE1OTlFOENE;jsessionid=AFDE5014734062739DD02C2C5AA901B8-n3.jpg
    RjI1OTM4OTQtNTUxMi00M0ZCLThBREMtMjE5OEQ4QTQ5NUZB;jsessionid=AFDE5014734062739DD02C2C5AA901B8-n3.jpg

11. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Great work! I'm contemplating this, thank you for pioneering it!

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Why don't you show us your nice little zero-cost ghetto-mod? ... which does the job as well...

13. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    It's just card. In the rwte my stringjob thread. Common practice I believe. Currently usong the card from a pack of yonex string

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Yeah, but with the large Yonex logo, it looks sooo professional!

15. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    Very nice upgrade! Although I have to admit I'm confused at how you are getting the string to touch the bottom of the gripper so that it goes near the spring. Doesn't that bar at the back stop it from touching?

My method to get the gripper to engage is to put the string in so that it's maybe halfway down, then pull towards me so that the string presses against the gripper, thus tightening it. Are you guys doing something different?

16. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I think I tend to pull more down than sideways. I'm getting frustrated with double/tripple pulls to get the tension right. I'm assuming those slight adjustments and rough gripper faces do not help. Ideally I'd keep the string away from the springs but its tough to do that and get the finite adjustment on where the string is gripped.

Wise upgrade after new base machine for sure!

17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I also pull the string more in a downward direction than towards me. You are right, in any case the bar/pin should keep away the string from getting caught in the spring. But with the original PP gripper it seems like there is still a chance for the string to touch the spring during gripping.

I tried to provoke this issue several times with the replacement gripper but was not able to repeat it. If anything, I discovered that it's also a very smooth way to grip the string by just pulling it fully downwards over the pin at the end of the gripping plate to get the plates moved in "gripping direction".

I have finished two rackets with the new gripper and I definitely need less double/triple pulls to hit the correct tension. It feels like the gripping action is more consistent than with the original gripper. Although I don't see an impact on ping frequencies so it seems like it's more of a feel-good-upgrade. I think for me it's worth the 50 EUR and the 60 minutes work that I have invested, but the Chudek side supports clearly had a much bigger impact on the stringing process and the results.

18. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    uploadfromtaptalk1445517232463.jpg

Picture of thr gripper separated (thanks simon for doing it first and giving me confidence).

You can see that the larger spring hole extends past thebpin holes. Therefore letting thebspring foul the string.

I've reassembled with little rubber pegs in place of springs to see how this goes. Eggball shape probably better.

Then I though maybe a metal ring round it so the string slides easier. Then might as well put a metal pin down the centre and not need the original hollow pins (also might need to turn these as the opening shreds string).

Can someone tag mr chudek please to see if this is something he'd like to take on?

19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

What happened to the planned Tyger+WISE upgrade?!?

So you removed the two springs completely and replaced them with rubber pegs, did I get that right? I wonder if they are able to constantly apply the right amount of pressure to get a smooth gripping action and then pushing the plates apart again on release.

20. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    They don't push back as hard so it only goes maybe half way out. When i decide which string to cut I'll test it.

New machine is still on the cards, that didn't stop me tinkering though.

Not playing again til thursday but at least its a home match where I get to give [MENTION=690]emjay[/MENTION]'s string work a good run out in a tk6000.