What to improve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Spadroliken, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Spadroliken

Spadroliken Regular Member

Student
    Hi, what can I improve on my singles game? Technique, tactics? The video below is a match between me and a player I just met. I hope its good enough a match to allow for constructive criticism. I'm the player in black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dd6K3QmNP8

2. lausiekeik

lausiekeik Regular Member

Hi Charles, I think you performed well, just cant see the line, so cant comment more.

3. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    Is this how you guys normally play? looks very relaxed, no chasing after shuttles, any good shots are pretty much given up on. hardly any rallies and seem more of a wait and see who makes the most errors or gets the most shots in. feels like a freestyle warm up with serves rather than an actual game. your racket head is always down when preparing for a forehand shot (smash, drop or clear). Its unorthodox but at least they are all the same. its hard to tell the quality of the shots due to the camera angle and not seeing where the actual court is.

4. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Overall your strokes and techniques are fine. I can't tell if you appeared to be unprepared or is totally unprepared at all. Although you have the split step, it looked as if it's done for fun/for the sake of it and didn't realize that the shuttle will be there. It's not like as if your opponent had any kind of deception or funky shots.

If there's any area to improve, it's your preparedness.

Your recovery will also be badly exploited if your opponent was better. Your recovery is slow, especially after being brought forward to the fore court to lift or net. A faster opponent will lift or push the shuttle and you will be left stranded, like what you did to your opponent. That's also another area to improve on, but with better preparedness, your recovery may get better.

Your preference to do a backhand cross court drop will get you into trouble because of your slow recovery and lack of preparedness. There's nothing wrong with a preferred shot, but you should be prepared to run the long diagonals if you do so, which will drain your stamina. Vary your backhand shots or be more prepared and use the overhead.

5. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    The angle is quite bad, makes it hard to tell.

-Preparedness; as other people have stated, you don't look prepared.
    -Services; might be the angle, but they look high, you also don't seem to vary them at all, and instead play a low (but not actually a low) serve that could be easily attacked.
    -No split step
    -Body is too upright to be prepared to move in necessary directions, with feet too close together
    -No kick through on shots from the rear court; lots of the shots are coming from the arm. Use the waist. You also put your feet in a better position to move back; improves recovery.
    -Poor defensive stance; way too high. It took MSeeley explaining this a bit better to me, widen your stance, rock your feet a bit, and get ready to move.

(Player in green shirt looks like he's not ready a lot of the time, bad reflexes)

That's all I really got from this angle. Lots of work needed on your general body carriage.

6. Coach Jiva

Coach Jiva Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach
    The range of your swing is too long for most skills. That makes it too predictable...reduce the range and add more surprise to your shots.