Is it good to clamp closest to the frame as possible?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Exert, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Just wondering if it's okay and doesn't put any stress on the frame. I usually clamp my yonex flying clamps very close to the frame on crosses like to the point where it is touching it. Thanks

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I would only avoid that the clamps actually touch the frame since this might cause damages to the frame. You will not be able to control the force with which the clamps are pressed/pulled against frame.

In general, the closer the strings are clamped towards the frame the less tension will be lost in the process. That's the same for fixed and flying clamps.

3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I don't clamp at the frame. I clamp around 3mm away, but the clamp never touch the frame in any situation, maybe a long grommet, but never the frame. You should count in that the clamp moves. Even fixed clamps move bit during the next pull. It's very risky, if you clamp to tight at the frame, that the force on next pull can pull the clamp against the frame and with a bit bad luck you will have a marked or cracked racket.

4. phili

phili Regular Member

Agree with the two guys above me. Even if you don't destroy your racket the clamp will probably leave a mark behind.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The frame will move during the job, so you've got to let it. Get a tooth into the last gap if possible, but don't touch the racket.

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I have to ask how would it be possible for that clamp to crack your racket?
    If the first string is pulled at 30lbs and the clamp is placed 1mm from the frame, the tension is released and the clamp moves back (however slightly). Let's call this 5mm to exaggerate.

if the next string is pulled at 30lbs again, the very best the clamp can do, is move back to it's original position, back 5mm. To pull the clamp further would require a larger force than the original 30lbs, right?

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Especially at the top of the frame, when you do the last 4-5 crosses (BU) the frame moves a bit and deform during the string pulls because of the angle towards tension head. Then you clamp against the frame or just 1mm away and you release the tension, the frame moves back to original shape et voila, your clamp will kiss the frame. If you have decent fixed clamps which don't move the same amount, you will have a marked or cracked frame.

8. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Common accepted practice is to clamp as close as you can to the frame without having the clamps actually touch it, be it when you clamp or during the next pull. With time, you'll find out what distance works best with your machine.

Now if you don't want to follow this practice to gain what would maybe end up being a 1% stiffness increase, it is up to you.

9. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Ah I see, I was thinking in terms of flying clamps (like the OP), for fixed clamps I see the problem when the frame moves, thanks :)

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Frame movement isn't an issue with flying clamps, so you can go nuts with them;).