How has your style of play evolved over the years?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Tactim, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    When I look back to when I started becoming more serious about badminton, to my change from panhandle to the basic grip, to just getting more overall experience through match play, it's interesting to see how my tendencies and play style has changed.

Like probably many people here, smashing seemed to be the most fun thing to do because we like to see power and speed and is the visually most entertaining shot. I remember wanting to smash EVERYTHING. Of course that ended in numerous mistakes, poor smashes, mishits, smashing into the net, and some good winners mixed in there at some point.

However after many times playing with my much older cousin who used to coach badminton and play internationally told me this one piece of wisdom, it really changed my outlook on how to play badminton. He told me that I should smash when I want to smash, not smash because I HAVE to smash. From there I developed a more patient style of play of drops, pushes from mid court close to the net until I got a lift that I was able to get a quality smash on.

Also through my own match play and desire to improve at the net, I've become a very competent net player who doesn't just wait for weak replies at the net, I actively build up pressure on opponents during the match to not play to the net and instead force them to lift it over me for my partner to smash. One of my signature plays is after playing a low serve, just keep the racket up high and try to take a swipe at everything that tries to go past you (I had many numerous failed mishits, takes practice!). Over the last year I've taken great pleasure in seeing my opponents who I've surprised when their attempted push comes flying back downward into their body or on the court. Most opponents will just lift after every low serve at the point, so it's an effective mental game when you just cut off the net from their options.

Anyhow, post your own reflections on how you changed your game as you've become wiser players!

2. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    I used to play badminton when I was in school, I picked up the game at around aged 10, I played until 16. At the time I loved the game but wasn't coached a great deal, one of my friends played for county and I used to train with him and picked up the odd tips to get better. One of my major problems when I was playing back then was poor footwork. I never could get to some of the shots but that's because I was lunging with the wrong leg, not recovering etc. I also didn't have a grasp of shot selection, I used to hit the shuttle over the net and hoping it was a good shot... haha.

I stopped playing badminton from 17-25 due to concentrating on my studies, uni, work etc. I wished with hindsight I hadn't stopped as I was gradually improving and at 16 was a decent player. However things happen in life and you cannot change that.

I started playing again in 2003 as I was sick of getting unfit and missed the sport, I wondered how I would be like playing after the 8 year gap. To my surprise my base level was pretty good. Granted my stamina and fitness was severely lacking but I actually could play the game nicely. I thought I need help so I decided to go on coaching courses and then decided to become a coach myself. This was the turning point.

I was able to break down each of my shots into the components and was able to self coach myself and this transformed my game. I became better at footwork as I practiced and practiscd at each session. I worked on the tactics of the game, using the mental side as well as physical. I also ironed out most my weaknesses. The biggest thing I learnt over the years is losing is okay, as long as you analyse why you lost and learn from it. I loved the sport so much I decided to coach full time and have been doing so since.

My style of play is calculated. I wait for openings and then kill the shuttle when the time is right. I'm not an all out offensive player but instead can hit my opponent on the counter as my defence is pretty decent. This I have worked on over the years as I have never had a strong smash but I am very accurate with most my shots. I also have become very fast around the court and this speed helps me beat slower (and aging) opponents. It is also nice to beat youngsters half my age as I can play a better game than them due to the experience. :)

I'm 37 now and hope I can play this game for many years to come.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    The worst moment for the atheist is when he is really thankful and has nobody to thank.

#2 InvincibleAjay, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  3. nilavu

nilavu Regular Member

Regular & Boring
    Very interesting .this is like "My story so far" thread, ..Will write my story soon

4. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

My defensive style hasn't evolved much and I'm still pretty much a defensive player.

What has changed though, is my ability to create more pressure shots. This is likely due to the improvements in my footwork speed and agility and I'm getting shots early. I'm netting more, waiting to pounce on shots, dropping great drop shots with speed and angles as well as lifting with speed and height to limit attacking shots against me.

I'm trying to add a bit of killer instinct in me put down shots to get myself out of trouble as I have a habit of getting them late and opponents engage me in a flat game, which I suck at, with much thanks to my preference of getting shots late because my racket isn't up to kill shots.

I'm also trying to improve my smashes because my smashes are very predictable. They end up at very predictable places in the court and opponents are basically treating it as a drill when I smash... while I have to keep running places to return back the shots.

Deception is something I want to learn as well, but apparently, I'm too honest, lol. My coach says it's very obvious what I want to do... :(

I can't figure out what to do about my lack of deception yet. Maybe when my footwork speed and agility improves again, I will be able to try to add deception to my games.

With those changes, hopefully my style will evolve to balance between attacking and defending well and also create more variety in my game.