What the best shot to pressure ur opponent in single

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by john1994, Jul 25, 2015.

1. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

I have good footwork. My hand skill is also good, but for some reason I can't win, I am not sure what to do in a single game. What shot is the best in single, Smash? drop? net? which should I play more often.? When I lob he smash, when I drop shot he fast push to my back kinda annoying so I doono what to do. I smash consume so much energy any other shot should i do?

2. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

There's no best shot... you have to try out various shots to expose his weakness(es). Lob to his forehand, his backhand, drop at various places at various speeds, net him (cross/straight, forehand, backhand), use push/drives to test his defenses and reaction speed.

You might want to share a video of your games against him.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

If you watch the way pro singles play, probably tight spinning net shots. To set up for net kill or force half court lifts that can be killed.

#3 visor, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  4. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

But is so random how would I know which shot to choose.

5. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

that don't happened all the time that the problem.

6. captivated

captivated Regular Member

how bout u post a video of how u play.. it seems that ur game is very predictable...

in singles fast drops are the best esp cc.. but u have to be fast in recovering.. perhaps speed up ur recovery?

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's why we need tactics for different opponents.

It's not a random choice of shots. Each shot you play is leading up to a situation to put pressure on the opponent.

Netshots are a good pressure shot.

Block defense for singles is another great pressure shot. There is something rather satisfying about giving the opponent a deliberately slightly short lift, tempting them into a smash and then keeping the rally going. I find as the match goes on, the opponents smashing becomes weaker and more prone to errors. Once you see unforced errors in the game, mentally, you have the upper hand and can close out the game (even if you are behind in points).

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Experience also plays a part.

During the intense period of training that I went through for singles, I was also putting in about 6 hours per week of singles matches rotating around different opponents. Then there were competitions. I was also watching a lot of videos of international matches trying to watch how players made decisions on shots and how they would position themselves on court and where they would stand. Sometimes, I would not understand why I couldn't cope in certain areas of the court and need to go back to my coach for a One on one session to work on technique. Sometimes, it would only be a very small and very subtle thing to change.

9. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

If both of you have proper training, there's no way you can use a particular shot against him if both of you are well trained.

You need to expose his weaknesses through various shots. For example, he's slow to take fast drop shots after a few rallies. Or he can't move fast enough behind the shuttle to smash or drop if you hit an attacking clear (fast, flat clear).

You also cannot hit randomly and hope to expose him. That's impossible. You need to test it systematically in your games. I don't know how you intend to do it. Usually I will start with clears, then drops, net shots, lifts followed by pushes and drives.

Also, you need to be smart when testing systematically. If he's going to smash down your clears and lifts, then you need to adjust the speeds and heights of the clears and lifts to avoid the heavy/steep smashes of his. If you have a good defense, try blocking the smashes at the net and once in a while surprise him by lifting back if you see that he moves forward.

If you are early, you may want to go for deceptive shots to keep him guessing your next shot. Deceptive shots can wear some players down mentally and they will slow down to cope with the game or manage to it. If he's that kind of player, you can intentionally speed up and slow down the game to your advantage.

10. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    This could be a big topic. The question implies existence of one finishing shot. I would suggest OP to start by visiting badmintonbible.com. They've tactics for your reference. Try to apply some of them, review your results, and revise your tactics. Over time, hopefully, you could see some wins.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

just read an interesting comment on Viktor Axelsen (on facebook). The shot he would pick the most to play consistently well would be netshots.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, watching how the two up-and-coming Axelsen and Momota have taken down some top ranked players in the past few months, their touch and control of the net is impeccable. Those many points they won at the net also are easily less energy intensive than a smash from the baseline... :)

13. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    Spinning net shots are by far the most consistent in giving pressure to opponents. Especially if the venue you play in has a lower than average roof height. I used to play in a school gym until people refused to play with me because whenever I net they would try to lift the bird and it would get stuck in the ceiling (true story, no one plays with me there)

14. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    I concur, tumbling net shots all the way, the better yo get at them, you will see how many easy openings you will create.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    He's turned his life around. He used to be depressed and miserable. Now he's miserable and depressed.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

I was just rewatching Momota's match against Jorgensen in Indonesia open final, and Chou's match against LD in Taiwan Open... the one who had better control of the net and last to lift won many easy points there.