Exercises for body/hip rotation

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Dracover, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Dracover

Dracover Regular Member

Accountant
    I'm struggling with this very specific situation.

Starting off in the center then moving to the back left hand corner in a forehand position.

My coach keeps telling me I'm too slow in turning my body/hip and this makes my overall movement into that position very slow and usually defensive. The only way to speed it up seems to be to push off hard with my right leg and it just doesn't feel natural to me.

Also apparently I have a tendency lean to the left even before I get into position.

Anyone know of any training tips or videos that may help with correcting these issues?

2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

As always when it comes to footwork questions, search for Rasmussen's footwork drill.
    It really helps so much in
    a) establishing a good rhythm and timing
    b) establishing good balance
    c) establishing an automatism (as it is an exercise you do quite long and therefore repeat movements a lot).

As easy and weird as it seems first, this exercise will help improve your footwork a lot.

In your case, simply really concentrate on the turnaround and first step to the left back corner. By always repeating this first step of the movement, you get very efficient. The second step to the very corner of the court can follow automatically, if the first step is really fast and efficient.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Of course the feet are very important and you cannot just step back (some people do but I feel it is better to teach hip rotation with footwork). The right foot needs to step backwards and the foot directed out towards the right side of the court.

If you are slow turning, think about the axis of rotation as being through the centre line of your body. So if you were to stand stationary, just rotate on the spot switching feet position.

Then, you have to incorporate this very same rotation movement as you move backwards. You will look more efficient and natural on court. Always practice it on warming up on court as a shadow exercise.

Once you have that, incorporate a bit of 'explosive' acceleration into this movement in the first step. Rather like you are trying to avoid a red hot poker being thrust at you....:)

#3 Cheung, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Do the footwork pattern with no shuttle. Get someone to watch so that you know you're doing it right. Then do it with shuttles - multifeed.

Just got to spend time doing the drills.

5. Dracover

Dracover Regular Member

Accountant
    Thanks great vid haven't seen it before.

Do you mean not to pivot on your left foot? Doesn't that reduce the distance you cover in the first step?

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The part you have referenced is an intermediate step to help you move faster.

7. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Try to imagine/visualize you body's centre of mass as you move. Your centre of rotation should be there too - this means that the rotation doesn't affect your movement towards the corner, it's simply a change of position as you make your way back.

Quite often I see new players that pivot their foot and swing their centre of mass around in an arc as they reposition for that shot. Overall this is way more movement and a much less direct path to the corner, so less efficient and slower.

8. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
  9. Yousor

Yousor Regular Member

A great tip I got a long time ago was to think about it as being pushed by someone over your right shoulder, so you stumble backwards. The push being off to the side of your body' symmetry line you will automatically rotate your hips.
    Your feet will follow that movement and prevent you from falling.

10. lump101

lump101 Regular Member

11. Dracover

Dracover Regular Member

Accountant
    Thanks all. I will definitely give some of those suggestions a go.

Is this a normal stepping method? Seems very different to what i've been taught and seen online in other videos.

12. amleto

amleto Regular Member

yes, it's normal.

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's normal for that corner. In your forehand corner the movement is different.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

you might like to reference these other online videos. It is good for discussion as your question is quite a good one.

15. Dracover

Dracover Regular Member

Accountant
    Not going to lie, after watching the above video, I feel like I have misinterpreted everything I've watched to date. I'm going to have to speak to my coach to see if i'm misunderstanding him as well.