General Advice Requested

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Canadian in GZ, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Canadian in GZ

Canadian in GZ New Member

Teacher
    I am a Canadian living and working in Guangzhou, China. I have been living in China for over a decade now.

I started playing 3 years ago and was doing so nearly everyday. Lucky me! I also did lots of serious training.

About 4 months ago, I stopped playing (school politics). The politics have gone away and I have resumed playing. Here's my dilemma: my form and judgement (and footwork) seem
    really off! It's discouraging; things seem even worse than when I first started. The upside: I maintained my fitness level through some sporadic play, running and weights.

Anyway, I sure others have experienced the above. If you can give me advice it would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, you should come to GZ. I have 5 badminton halls within a 20 min walk of my place. It's great!

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Just try to accept that you are currently a certain standard of player, and you are not the player you were before. Enjoy the game! As you play more your skills will return.

If you do not know how to do something you used to be able to do, then pretend you are a beginner and go and seek advice as if you don't know anything, and practice as if that were the case - it keeps it simpler! You may reach greater skills than before, or your old skills will return. Either way, thats a good thing!

Good luck!

3. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Hopefully you took notes when you're training back then. If not, you'd have to do some recollection.

How about do a bit more drills, starting with the most basic ones, like drop/clear/net/lift and serves. Practice with a buddy or 2. Play less games for at least 1-2 weeks (assuming you still play/drill frequently).

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It is not really a problem. If you have done serious training before, just go back to the coach for one on one lessons. Doing simple routines helps you get the timing back.

I am a little concerned when you say you don't have the footwork. This implies to me that you didn't have to think about your footwork very much before. I have been through a similar phase when I stopped badminton and restarted. Previously, I could run around a court but coming back after the break, I couldn't seem to get the footwork correct. It took many games over many months. Actually, at that time, I hadn't previously learnt footwork patterns in a proper sense.

Fast forward many years later and I underwent serious and systematic training. I did a lot of footwork patterns concentrating on when and where to use certain footwork patterns. I took a lot of notes. I watched a lot of videos of international matches to understand why international players stood in certain areas of the court and how they move and shift their centre of balance. Now, subsequently, I don't have a problem with footwork patterns and balance after a break from the game. If I do find my footwork being slow or breaking down under pressure, I can self analyse and correct it.

You might want to think of getting serious training one on one and taking notes on footwork. I mean, just doing simple routines but think about how to place the feet and how to shift the body weight to create the 'rhythm' of movement according to the shuttle coming the net. Once you get this ability and know how to control it, it's a wonderful feeling.