Fact or Myth: Bigger arm muscles negatively affects speed and racket maneuverability.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by izylldus, Jun 14, 2015.

1. izylldus

izylldus Regular Member

Making people happy :)
    For me, it is fact (based on the past 7 months of testing which body built is suited for my game). It affects my swing technique, tires my arm faster and limit my joints in doing delicate and deceptive shots.

Just want to know your opinion based on your own experience guys. Thanks!

2. Acumen

Acumen Regular Member

I do workout before I actually start to know and play badminton.

To my experience, bigger arm might have some negative affect speed and racket maneuverability but that's not the main reason.

To me, its more due to I have strong shoulder and I tend to activate my shoulder more/only. I cant generate power smoothly from leg > body > arm > wrist.

Thus wrong technique used, tiring myself faster, affect the speed and cant control the shuttle well.

After years training, get the technique right, without quit my workout, I can play better now.

Deceptive shot usually needs to have better skill and wrist control and power as you want to deceive your opponent.

Wrist is quick and small movement, shoulder/ arm would be powerful but big movement and obvious.

Before I can play well, I start off from simple deceptive shot such as making my smash and drop movement the same and fast to slow/ slow to fast shot (Pretend to do net skill but drop to opponent front court or pretend to play net but push)

I still find deceptive shot is difficult to do and i cant make the shot consistent.

Need more time maybe.

3. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

I don't exactly agree on the 'bigger' part. A more accurate term would be "trained for wrong sport". It's okay to have bigger muscles if you trained the right ones for your sport. Some people will get naturally bigger muscle than others while training the same thing (i.e Lindan vs LCW). Training the wrong muscles for your sport will affects arm mobility and touch negatively. That's why even boxers' arms are relatively lean compared to bodybuilders.

Manny-Pacquiao-V-Miguel-Cotto.jpg

4. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Lol, in 7 months of testing, arm-muscle-mass changes by what? A few grams?

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Make sure you train for explosive arm/hand speed, not power.

6. FeatherDance

FeatherDance Regular Member

I find that the flexibility is still retained. Could be that I used bands to workout, so it does train my muscles to tense gradually until the highest load (explosiveness like visor said?). I find that it improved even the smaller nuances of my game. Deceptively altering the direction of the shuttle is often done with a slight 'twitch' requiring less effort now. Finger power also really helped in flick/drive serves as all I have to do is move my fingers and the shuttle appears there. Things like a mid court to 3/4 drive without any backswing are made possible because of the 'twitch'.

7. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

clearly a myth
    arm muscles of course can help you and are never a negative thing

another myth that will stay in the heads of many ppl for much time to come i fear, is that you get big badass superbodybuildermuscles just from looking at a barbell once a week
    complete ********..nobody gets "too big" muscles from healthy gym trainings..

8. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Either your strokes are wrong or you are training the wrong areas or both. I have a few friends who keep building up and end up being very stiff and much more less flexible. The coach banned them from the gym and told them to focus on badminton techniques.

Even up till today, the effects are still obvious despite many months of the gym ban. I think the damage has been done so regaining certain things is probably low or not possible any more. The only gain I guess is power.

9. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

thats just complete crap
    once again..

i have been on a tournament last weekend

two best players were brothers who crushed the competition in the highest class
    they play in the second division in germany (2. bundesliga)
    they had also the biggest arms in the tournament (maybe except for some fatties)
    fantastic muscular bodies, low fat

i did not want to bring an example since there are so many examples in both directions

technique is technique...100% guilty of the skills. muscles 5% guilty (in the positive direction!)

dont blame the muscles if a muscleguy has no technique!

maybe people just dont WANT to know the truth..

edit: okay i can imagine one case where it could be bad: just training exactly one muscle with isolation exercises, espacially on machines and not free weights and nothing else (hello biceps fans) might be hindering

#9 OhSearsTower, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  10. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    I would say fact if doing non specific sport exercises, this would translate to a bigger build but not necessarily training the correct muscle groups related to badminton. However if done correctly, you can get big and maintain your flexibility, agility and finesse on the court. I know plenty of guys that are build like a brick but play effortlessly on the court, as they have trained the correct way for the sport.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    If two men agree on everything, you may be sure that one of them is doing the thinking.