Recover mentally

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dontmakeme, Jun 1, 2015.

1. dontmakeme

dontmakeme Regular Member

student
    Everyone has had games where they are on tilt and lose the mental game. Tilting mentally can be caused by a bad day, being targetted, your opponents belittle you, or etc...

I would like to ask BCers what methods they use in game to recover mentally and continue playing the game.

Thanks

2. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    It's easy, be positive and confident in your ability and no one should get under your skin. Also we all make mistakes, its not dwelling upon those mistakes and looking at the next point and being positive. I talk to myself an encourage myself when I play a good shot and then gee myself up if I play a bad shot.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Be realistic though. All of us have good days and bad days. The only important thing is to play to the best of our abilities on any given day.

A few things will help.

1. Get enough sleep. At least 7-8 hrs. This cannot be emphasized enough.

2. As Ajay says, think positive. For example, think hit 2 inches over the tape instead of don't hit the tape.

3. Take it one point at a time.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    For me, a lot of the mental strength development occurred when I undertook systematic training. For most of us, such training improves technical skills but also confidence in your strokes when under pressure.

I was also taught how to recognise situations when it's impossible to get a shot and so give it up and save energy compared to when you need to chase. It is not that easy as we see a lot of other sports on TV where players look like they are running around like headless chickens and we take our cue from that. By recognizing such situations, you are able to stay mentally calmer despite an opponents histrionics.

Even if a mistake happens, I go into analytical mode. Did he play a good shot? Did I hit to his strong area? Is my game today in that particular area of the court just not working? Which shots look like uncomfortable for him? What is his most predictable shot from certain areas of the court with a certain flight of shuttle. By altering your game and stroke play to subtley to adjust to different opponents, you feel mentally in control.

If you lose, stay analytical, work out the "why's" and "what's", areas of weaknesses to consider and then adjust training accordingly. Each match you lose is a learning experience and the opponent was simply better that day. But learn to beat him the next time or at least, make it harder for them. This way, you will find your confidence, mental strength and thus your mental control will improve the more matches you play.

A philosophy I have when playing is that although I might lose, I make it difficult for the opponent to beat me. Don't give an easy game.

#4 Cheung, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  5. Coach Jiva

Coach Jiva Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach
    Mental recovery is a crucial edge during tournaments. But to do that effectively, first and foremost it is important to identify the personality type you or your players are. This will give a better indication on the type of mental recovery method to be used. As important as this aspect is, it takes a lot of work in knowing oneself to achieve consistency in this.

6. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    inhale
    hold
    shout
    focus again

there are 2 games, where you should try to win, and when you should learn

7. porroy

porroy Regular Member

technical
    relax
    stay focus
    dont get nervous
    its just a game you play that you love
    your opponent will not bite you, Lol

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    "Smile, breathe, and go slowly." Thich Nhat Hanh

9. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Some interesting reads from other people. Ideas above include: breathing, positivity, focus, relaxation etc.

I want to add something I find interesting. When I play my best, I am not thinking about anything at all. You probably all know what the zone is - its the lack of conscious thought. Yes I am still analytical, and have a game plan, and the games change and develop - but I am not ACTIVELY thinking about that stuff - it just happens. I notice that this is a good way to win points. I play my game and overcome whatever my opponents are doing. If I could play every game in this state of mind, I would perform at an exceptional level.

In my view, potentially ALL of the above techniques mentioned by others (which i used to believe in) contradict what I want to achieve. They are all ways of giving yourself something to think about (to replace the bad things you currently think about). HOWEVER. The goal for me is to NOT think. Positive or negative, neither one gets me into the state I want to be when I play. So thats my secret - instead of focusing, or being positive, I relax. And I enjoy my badminton. And I play at a much higher level than when I used to do the above things e.g. breathing exercises, positive thinking and focusing on or analysing my game.

What do you guys think about this? For me, it was a very enlightening thing to find out about - I learnt it about a month ago and it has made a big difference to my game.

Cheers! And good luck!

Edit: I also heard this more recently from an ex tennis professional (Jim Courier) on TV commentary at the French Open - he said the best players are the ones who are dumb on court (they do not think much) but who are analytical off court. I thought it was a very interesting concept.

#9 MSeeley, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  10. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    There is also the underrated method of controlling your own breath. Breath in and out with consistent interval and amount, not too fast, too slow, too much nor too little. Usually when the heat goes up to our head we tend to hold our breath or breath so fast which in turn makes our body uncomfortable and tend to rush.

Whenever we feel nervous, we tend to hold our breath, especially during those "long awaited" serves. This makes our body "screams" for oxygen, especially the brain, which will make us make mistakes and feel sluggish, resulting on those misshits. keep breathing during those wait periods. Don't let the delaying take control of your mind.

There is also the feeling of rush, whenever we are in a position to finish the rally or game, or catching up when we are so far away in points. This is where our breath will go rough and we unconsiously speed it up. This results in a rushing everything as speed of breath = speed of heart rate = speed of blood = higher tension. Although it can be good in short time, it's no good for a longer time.

COntrol your breath, then you can control your body and mind.

11. Dimo

Dimo Regular Member

Pre-Raphaelite & Classic Art
    Focus without anxiety is key, but as someone has said, good sleep is important. I know the latter to my cost, as late nights meant playing a couple of league matches when I was not sharp. Not only that, in one venue my eyes struggled to follow the shuttle at times and I wasn't able to play anywhere near my potential.

What's also important is not dwelling on a mistake but playing the next point instead of replaying the last one in your head. Learn from your errors and analyse the game but don't mentally beat yourself up. Relax the shoulders and take a few breaths between points, learning and improving as you play.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

[MENTION=47032]MSeeley[/MENTION]

I think each player has their own way. So what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

It is well known that a heightened anxiety state can lead to better performance up to a point; after that a decreased performance occurs.

So for some players shouting and screaming can be detrimental to their game and for others being relaxed raises their game. Funnily enough, badminton is a highly technical skill so it is easily possible to allow anxiety to affect your game - especially around the net and forecourt.

Certainly, if we didn't need to think, we wouldn't see coaches sitting by the courts in matches. Coaches are always talking to their players throughout the match!!

#12 Cheung, Jun 2, 2015
  13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You put it very succintly! Much better than me!

14. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

good point imo
    i had to gather some experience to get to know myself. Now in my 4th year I feel like i have a very good mental strength over myself so i can play my best game when it matters
    and if i have a very bad day or the circumstances are very bad so the game sucks i can keep my composure and fight for whats possible on the given game...on very few occasions i have to scream out loud to reset myself, from the outside that might look like im frustrated or tilted but by now i do it "on purpose" and under control

in my first year i had to "hate" my opponent to play my best. if an old guy or whoever was talking too friendly to me before the game that could have set me off
    i have learned to be friendly before the game and still burn for every point in the game now which is so much better for various reasons :D

other players might have a completely different psychology so there are only few general tips i think

#14 OhSearsTower, Jun 2, 2015
  15. visor

visor Regular Member

[MENTION=47032]MSeeley[/MENTION]

"I do not hit... my fist, it hits by itself." - Bruce Lee

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    "Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend."

Bruce Lee

#16 pcll99, Jun 2, 2015
  17. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    You are correct. everyone has their own way - but what I was talking about was specifically trying to get into the zone. Peak performance.

What I would say in response to you regarding shouting and screaming or being relaxed etc. I do not believe those players are CHOOSING to be relaxed, or CHOOSING to shout and scream. When they are playing their best, they are just doing whatever is natural to them without conscious thought. Some players are very cool and calm, others are angry and pumped up. But I do not believe they have chosen to be that way and are consciously screaming after every pint - they are just being who they are without thought.

With regard to what you say about coaches... I agree and disagree to a certain extent. The coaches are there to help the player understand what is working and isn't working - to provide insight the player hasn't seen themselves. I do not think it is then helpful for the player to over analyse every shot and every rally they play. I believe that, when they play their best (being in the zone) they will absorb and apply tactical information but will not occupy their mind with it. During rallies, they will be playing, not thinking.

So thats my view - I do not believe it is contradictory to what you have said.

This is an interesting topic!

18. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Exactly :)

19. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Another bruce classic. I love that water analogy - I have seen it before in the bruce lee interview/documentary on youtube.

20. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    belittle your opponent back!! haha!!

#20 pcll99, Jun 2, 2015