REVIEW: Li Ning A300

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Charlie-SWUK, May 29, 2015.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Li Ning A300
    Li Ning’s A300 shuttle is one of their top of the line shuttles, approved for tournament use by the BWF. It is listed as using first grade goose feathers and an all-natural cork. I reviewed a speed 78 shuttle in the UK, late spring/early summer.

Price paid: £18.40 per 1 Tube (12 shuttles)

Country sourced: United Kingdom

Source of purchase: http://www.directbadminton.co.uk/index.aspx

LI NING 1.jpg

Flight Quality – 10/10:
    Flight quality on the A300 is superb – everything about this shuttle is just right, none of the shuttles tested had flight anomalies, and apart from a slight speed difference when tested (that can be attributed to any number of factors and is expected) the shuttles were incredibly consistent. The flight quality matches the top Yonex shuttles (AS40 and 50s).

The shuttle feels a little on the light side when you’re hitting clears or smashes, but it’s wildly deceptive. It’s just the right weight, and it really shows at the net – where you’re expecting a shuttle that’ll fly a mile at a tap, it gives a wonderful controlled response.

I’m not quite sure how to nail the feel of these shuttles – they don’t feel as crisp as the stiff Yonex AS50s. It’s not necessarily unpleasant, but if you’re used to the Yonex shuttles they’ll feel alien at first; if you’re like me it’ll only be an adjustment period, and you’ll soon find yourself enjoying the shuttles.

Durability – 8/10:
    Durability was a little more mixed; one shuttle can easily survive 2 or 3 games depending on shot quality and mishits. I did have one or two shuttles that broke a little early – brittle feathers snapped and unfortunately, in my cases, they were two next to each other. This sullied my opinion a little, but there are a number of factors that could effect this – the time in storage, the fact I don’t humidify my shuttles (living in a fairly humid part of the country anyway), or simply age.

Cork Quality – 10/10:
    The cork is, as promised, a completely natural cork. I can’t tell you whether it’s a Portuguese cork or not, but I didn’t have an instance of deformity. The cork cover showed no signs of wear after play, including the tape which maintained in tact through and through. Of course it came with the standard paint markings from our strings, but there were no flakes or tears.
    LI NING 2.jpg

Overall Shuttle Quality – 9.3/10:
    It feels different from the Yonex line, and if you’re used to those shuttles, these will feel a bit strange when you first use them. At present I’ve been switching between the Li Ning A300s and Yonex AS50s, and have no real issues changing the shuttle brand from one game to the next – this really attests to the playability of the shuttle, it’s just the feeling that changes.

Overall Shuttle Value – 9.7/10:
    You’re getting everything on the box – a tournament grade shuttle with an all-natural cork, first grade goose feathers, and a great game. When these shuttles are a good £4 cheaper than the Yonex AS50s and provide a very comparable – albeit different, game play: you’re getting a bargain. These are a high quality shuttle you can get even when you’re on a budget, factoring in most shuttles cost at least £16 a tube for goose feather shuttles.

2. iceananas

iceananas Regular Member

Thanks for review, this matches pretty much my experience. One of my favourite shuttles.

Now imagine there is also a Li Ning A+600, which is used on international tournaments. A shuttles which is better than A+300... that must be Yonex F90 grade.

3. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Yeah, I can't find anywhere to buy the A600s. I imagine you have to order them from Li Ning to get them here in the UK.

4. renbo

renbo Regular Member

They were in sale at the Sudirman Cup' Lining stand, in Gongguan. I wanted to try them but they were 345 rmb... In sale, the stand people said... So I thought maybe another time!
    They also said these were not sold in shops, only in special occasion like in a lining sponsored tourney.

5. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    They're expensive!

Also, I've used the demo Bauhinia shuttles, but I'd like to use at least 1 full tube before reviewing them. Planning on ordering some in the near future. I already have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to say about them.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

If you're gonna order soma more, that in itself says something already... ;)

7. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Well, from the ones I tried, they are easily the most durable shuttle I have used.

8. BadSID

BadSID Regular Member

^I second that. BS 500 has, on an average, lasted me through three games of hard hitting doubles, although there have been occasions when a single shuttle has survived 4 games of doubles and 2 games of singles. The odd shuttle, however, wobbles (ever so slightly) in-flight, but its hardly noticeable except to the ones who are finicky about their shuttle. In fact, I've called for 5 cans of BS 900 for the team and can't wait to try them out.

9. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

What speeds are you using and what did you think of the flight?

10. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Speed 78, and in a nutshell, they're very similar to the Yehlex Championship shuttles, but cheaper, and substantially more durable.

11. Arradon

Arradon Regular Member

Hello guys!

Any review for this Bauhinia shuttles? How are they compared to Aeroplane EG1130 or Li Ning A300? BS500 and 900. Is there any chance to buy them somewhere in Europe?

12. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I haven't had the expendable to order a load of them :crying:

As stated before:
    Flight is a little fast
    Cork is 3 layer
    Durability is fantastic

When I tested them a few months ago, it was possibly a little bit hot for their speed. Now that we're coming into autumn and winter, I expect they'll be a fantastic shuttle again.

I don't want to write a full review on them until I've had the chance to test them again.

I can't compare them to Aeroplane. I haven't used them. They have the softer feeling like Li Ning shuttles, but a flight speed and path more similar to high end Yehlex shuttles. You can buy them from http://www.bauhinia-sport.com/en/

13. Arradon

Arradon Regular Member

You mean BS500 are in overall same lvl of quality and durabilty as Li Ning A300? If not, is there any shuttle same lvl but cheaper or better lvl and same price?

14. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I have not tested BS500. I only use goose feather shuttles.

In terms of durability, they're similar to the A300s. In terms of flight etc. they're more like Yehlex Championship shuttles.

15. Arradon

Arradon Regular Member

16. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I've used Victor GC, as has my coach. I think the Bauhinia shuttles are better than the Victor shuttles at their price point. I think the Li Ning A300 shuttles are better than the Bauhinia BS900, but the Li Ning ones cost more.

My coach was considerably less favourable to the Victor shuttles. He absolutely hated them. They went through the Gold Champions at a rate of knots (at a silver BE tournament) and constantly had to tip them.

It really does depend on how much you're spending. When you're looking at the BS900 vs the A300, if you play a lot of games, you're looking at 12 tubes of BS900 against 10 tubes of A300.

17. Randomlegend

Randomlegend Regular Member

School
    I looked into the BS900s before ordering some tubes of the A300s.

I may actually have gone for the Bauhinia shuttles, but if I'd got stung for VAT/duty on the import they wouldn't actually have been much/at all cheaper as far as I could work out. Didn't seem worth the risk.

18. Arradon

Arradon Regular Member

Exactly, BS 900 for 21,50 Euro http://www.bauhinia-sport.com/en/product/product/21 is 4 euro cheaper than A300 purchased in Europe (25,91). With duty / taxes price should be the same or even higher (+ have to buy much more tubes). IMO not worth the risk. I think I will try Victor GC as they cost 2 euro less than A300.

19. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Why not try a tube of each? Every now and again I'll buy tubes of various different shuttles and test them out. I think the A300s are above the Victor Gold Champions by quite a way. In the last batch I bought, the Li Ning A300s lasted substantially longer than the Yonex AS40s.

IMG_0450.jpg
    Personally the A300s are my favourite shuttle right now.

Yonex shuttles seem to be the benchmark, largely because so many people have played with Yonex shuttles. I would say the Victor GC are more like an AS20/AS30 replacement, and the A300 are more like an AS40/AS50 replacement.

20. Randomlegend

Randomlegend Regular Member

School
    Did you get lucky with tax when you imported the Bauhinia shuttles? Otherwise I don't see how they were cheaper.