In high school now and want to make badminton a bigger part of my life, but...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kokuryux, May 28, 2015.

1. kokuryux

kokuryux Regular Member

Senior at BHS
    I live in Boulder, Colorado, USA, and I play at a couple clubs that play on off days, but there really isn't any real coaching... Just the occasional tip when playing doubles with a stronger player. What can I do to really improve? Is it worth to move states, or what? I have looked for a coach but all the people willing to coach are out of shape and get tired just drilling, and the players who are fit and able to consistently coach are too busy with college... I have considered moving to CA or even Canada, but it's a big move. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :):)

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You might have to pay them to coach you! Are students so rich that they turn down a bit of extra part time work?

Mind you, not all people who play can teach.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

If you don't have any good coaches out there, perhaps start with online videos and instructions, like Gollum... he's the author of Badminton Bible. His articles are free and excellent. And his videos are subscription based.

https://www.badmintonbible.com/

4. visor

visor Regular Member

#4 visor, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Thanks Visor. :)

I'm planning to do more free videos as well. I'll have to see how it works out with bandwidth costs (which depend a lot on which video service I use), but that's the plan.

6. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Moving out to CA is probably a good choice, as there're a lot of players, professional coaches and gyms for you at an affordable price.

If you should stay, you'd need a buddy of comparable desire and possibly level to yourself. It would help to video recording yourself doing drills, and analyzing it afterward to get feedback for yourself. There might be some services (I vaguely come across that) online that would have professionals review your videos for a price, and provide you feedback. The process is slower, but this may be just what you need.

The above is about strokes, footwork, and basing. You could get a decent book on tactics (beyond beginners).

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Not many people can just move high school just for badminton! If so, why don't you move to a badminton country and attend high school there? :D

8. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I didn't suggest that first. The OP did...:p

"I have considered moving to CA or even Canada"

From this, I thought he's an adult in charge of his move decision!! Maybe he (or his family is rich), and all he needs to do is to ask (I mean request)? :cool:

And why didn't I move to a badminton country and attend high school there? Very thought-provoking, indeed. That's because I picked up badminton real late, after I finished high school. :D

Anyway, I did suggest other alternatives. Hope you saw that, too. :cool:

9. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Actually, when I was in high school, if I were to pick up badminton, I was already in badminton Country - Hong Kong, and Toronto/Canada. Well, at least Canada was, from the OP's perspective (I'm sure they had a lot of good coaches to choose from, for a beginner).

10. kokuryux

kokuryux Regular Member

Senior at BHS
    Thanks for all the tips! I have considered video coaches, but for technique and footwork i tend to not use videos as it is very easy to develop poor habits because there isnt a live coach to correct you. I am just a high school student, nothing more. My parents brought up moving at dinner a couple weeks ago and asked where i would want to go, so CA is where i would choose. I asked the college kods lol too much school work. CO = no bueno. EVen girls are turned off when i say that I play badminton.

11. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    That's because they've no idea what it's (and how cool it could be), just as I'd no idea when I was much younger. Ask if you could forward them some of the Youtube professional tournament short clips, to open their eyes...;)

12. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Aren't there any girls HS badminton teams in CO? I would think there are none for boys but for girls there usually are. You can be part of the team helping with drills and playing as opponent, etc.

I don't think you need to really consider moving out of state just for badminton. You just need to find others around you that enjoy the sport.

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    is Silicon Valley or LA better for badminton training as a high school or university student?

14. dontmakeme

dontmakeme Regular Member

student
    Create a PROPER training regime that includes cardio and explosive training (plyometrics).