Serve, time limit ?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by NemChua, May 24, 2015.

1. NemChua

NemChua Regular Member

Engineering student
    Hi,

I was wondering if there were regulations on time for serves. I mean when someone has the shuttle and is in his serve stance, how long can he wait before actually serving ?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

5 secs would be excessive delay

3. NemChua

NemChua Regular Member

Engineering student
    Is it written somewhere in the rules ? Can the referee call a fault then ?

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Not written. But generally accepted amongst umpires. There was a previous thread about this and that's what some umpires posted.

Of course, if there's no umpire, then you'll just have to sort it out amongst yourselves.

#4 visor, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015
  5. nilavu

nilavu Regular Member

Regular & Boring
    The person has to serve once the receiver is ready. But there is no hard and fast rule I guess.

Eg. If you see Christina Pedersen's serve, she would move like a robot in serving position, wait for 2 or 3 seconds and then serve. Which is annoying!

6. phihag

phihag Regular Member

As visor said, it's at the discretion of the umpire, and about 5 seconds seems to be the consensus. It's approximate anyways since no umpire will get out their stop watch.

There is no situation in which the referee (red shirt, usually sits near tournament organization) can ever call a fault. The umpire (black shirt, sits in umpire chair at court) calls faults.

When a server waits overly long for the first time, the umpire will usually just call Play.

If the server persists / waits overly long a second (or third..) time, the umpire will call out <Server>, come here (addressing the server by name of course) and advise them Service delayed, play must be continuous. or just play must be continuous. That's the theory; in practice many umpires opt out of the vocabulary and talk freely with the microphone turned off.

If that is still not enough to convince the server to serve without delay, the umpire will start showing cards (formally known as §16.7). The yellow card (<Server>, warning for misconduct) doesn't have any in-game penalties, just a fine for the player.

If the server is still delaying after that, the umpire will show a red card (<Server>, fault for misconduct followed by service over, <new score>). This has the same consequences as a normal fault, i.e. the score for the opposing team is incremented by one. In addition, there will be a larger fine.

If the same player is still delaying, then and only then the referee comes into play. The umpire will call the referee, and referee and umpire will decide whether to issue another red card or finally disqualify the player. If they decide to disqualify, the referee will hand the umpire a black card and the umpire will say <Player>, disqualified for misconduct.

The umpire is of course free to skip any of these steps. The only exception is that they can't show a red cart on their own without showing a yellow card though.

7. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

I always notice that Miyuki Maeda took a long time to serve.
    LCW is too quick to serve.

8. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I've always wondered why "play must be continuous". Yes it is good for the fans etc but there are regular breaks in tennis and I don't think anyone ever complains about that.

9. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

If I remember correctly it says that players with worse stamina should not be allowed to rest to gain an advantage in the rules. ;)

10. phihag

phihag Regular Member

The laws of badminton do not include reasons for the rules, so we can just speculate.

Athletics and stamina is a big part of competitive Badminton. Large delays would not only favor those without stamina. The delays are quite large already (compared to, say, soccer) and most spectators prefer to see a shuttle flying to players talking. Additionally, court time is limited, even in high-level tournaments. We'd prefer that all games can be played in the main timeslots, typically from 10:00 to 20:00 or so, and want to avoid players having to play during the very late evening or night.