Doubles rotation by myself

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kaki!, May 21, 2015.

1. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

Let's say I started at the net, and opponents cleared to my partner. Naturally I stayed there, expecting my partner to smash. But he didn't, and cleared instead, so I moved back. My opponents cleared to my partner again, I moved up, and he cleared back. After a few times of moving front and back while doing nothing, I got lazy and stayed back, and then came the drop shot.

What's a better way to this? Just keep moving front and back?

2. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Yeah you should keep moving front and back. and your partner should smash and drop rather than playing the clear game. But there are people who no matter what loves to clear rather than to smash. that's where I usually get lazy and just let it go.

you should communicate that he should be hitting it down.

3. lausiekeik

lausiekeik Regular Member

Yes, you are right. May be your partner likes to see you moving forth and back. :)

4. Espírito Santo

Espírito Santo Regular Member

Terrorist
    Communication, communication and communication!!!

You should inform him and give him assurance after his smashes or drop shots, you will be able to do the rest of front court drive, tapping and net shots. By the way, if your partner performed a fast clear to the rear of your opponent court, you don’t have to move back.

In another hand, some recreational players only want to enjoy their game and won’t even bother about tactics or maybe they are not sure the purpose you are moving forward and backward.

5. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

There is no clear in men's doubles.
    Def not more than one clear!

6. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

2 things spring to mind:
    1. When you say "at the net", I hope you mean at least a racket's length behind the service line. If you're too far forward, you won't be able to intercept driven (esp. x-court) responses to your partner's smash. Your partner may not like your position and feel that they're left with a clear.

2. If you want to break up up the cycle, when you move back, alternate between the left and right defensive position. Your partner will then need to move sideways as much as you're moving front/back. After a couple of rallies like this, they might be tempted to hit down.

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Haha you would not enjoy playing mens doubles with me - I love a good punch clear!

8. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

so annoying scenario lol

if its a training game i will at some point stop playing seriously...like you did

if it is somehow a game of importance i will try to explain to my partner why he must stop that and play aggressively...

9. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

Thanks all.

1. Good point. I usually stand on or a step behind the service line, and yes I have problems reacting to fast drives/blocks of our smashes. Maybe it's indeed too close to the net. Me not holding the racket high enough and not lowering my body enough also don't help... (but I fear my partner will smash onto my racket as I've done that before)
    2. I'll try this.

10. amleto

amleto Regular Member

On the service line? wow, far too far forward. Also you can lower racket when your partner is hitting, just get it up quick!

11. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    As soon as your opponent lifts, you need to back up away from the net. The deeper the lift, the deeper (relatively speaking) you need to go. On the contrary, if your opponent's lift is shallow (e.g. mid-court), you don't want to stay in front any more. Move side-way to allow the smasher to come in.

If your partner drops instead of smashes, you need to move forward quickly again to threaten any net replies (and force your opponents to lift again).

12. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    questions that need to be asked is:

1. Who is better, you or your partner?
    2. Does your partner trust you to get those blocks and drive replies from the opponent?
    3. Is your partner quickly tired when doing consecutive smashes?

many don't do smashes and just clear as a safe option because they can't trust the front player to do his job, have bad footwork so they can't reach to the shuttle and can't do consecutive smashes consistently, either quickly tired or do a bad hit into the net or a loose ball.

Try to be a good front player that your partner can trust and tell him to rotate (do the drop and swap places) if he's tired