How to become able to guess where the shuttle cock is?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by opikbidin, May 21, 2015.

1. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    This is a problem I frequently face. Whenever the shuttlecock is in line with where the light is, I can't see it clearly and there's a "blinding" effect, which makes me unable to see and react late after I can see the shuttle again.

does anyone have tips to solve this "light blinding" problem?

2. vixter

vixter Regular Member

When the shuttlecock is leaving the racket of the opponent, try to somewhat estimate where you're going to want to strike it. Don't panic or stop in the preparation of your own shot just because you lose sight of the shuttle for an instance. Just move, swing and hit anyway. Don't stare directly into the lights.

3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    When I really struggle to see the shuttle I think it is best not to smash full power or at all as you risk completely mistiming or even miss the shuttle completely. I find it is better to maintain the attack by playing drop shot, preferably in the middle to reduce the risk of counter attacking.

4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    this might or might not help, but i find that when you are warming up, as soon as you start hitting clear shots from baseline to baseline, you'll look up and see the lights and figure out which ones are really "in your face". and even when you are warming up playing singles, don't just use one side of the court. warm up on one side, then suggest to your opponent to warm up on the other side. this will help you get use to your position on the court when looking up and make you aware of the lights, especially when you could be in a college gym and the ceiling is super high and it's hard to figure out the timing of the shuttle. hope this helps :)

5. BG School

BG School Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Well for this, unfortunately it'll affect your ability to hit the shuttle, however the good news is that with more experience, you'll get a feel of the timing of the shuttle, so while you are unable to see you, you can get a good feel of when to prepare to swing the shuttle, and of course readjust slightly when you're able to see it~

And for these shots it is unlikely you can hit a good shot, therefore it is adviceable to do a simple attack to keep the rally going while controlling such as a half smash.

6. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

The answer to your question is absolutely no. Even peter gade can't hit the shuttle. Instinct is the only thing you have at that very moment

7. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

waste of time for me
    what does it help me to see where the light is bad? i cannot run around that spot in the game anyway...and you cannot put sunglasses up or anything..
    it would be useful if you can remember that exact spot and hit the shuttle so that your opponent gets blinded! but i guess thats tough to do lol

what i do if i get blinded: hit a very safe shot...(which is mostly ok in singles but can really suck in doubles..but what can you do...)

8. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    and yes it really sucks, even if I somehow correctly predict it, it can't be an attacking shot and rather lousy. better to play safer shots rather than fast shots.

I just can't get it out. the lamps are at the side of the net and really low.

9. BG School

BG School Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Yes so the key point here is to reduce maintain control of the game as safely as you can. Also this can work to your advantage too as after a set you will switch side with your opponent and they'll face the same problem to your advantage, so it is good to start on the tougher(in terms of lighting) side so that you'll have the last upper hand in the third set, that is if you're competing professionally, however if you're playing recreationally it's time to find a new hall with better lighting ;)

10. Agung5343

Agung5343 New Member

Government Employer
    better you train the footwork :rolleyes: