[Video]Could you help me to improve?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by wangyii, May 20, 2015.

1. wangyii

wangyii Regular Member

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    For games, try to play more than five shots in a rally without hitting it out or in the net.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Try telling that to Ahsan/Setiawan's opponents...

4. wangyii

wangyii Regular Member

Thanks, to be honest I played very bad this time, I don't make so many errors usually, I will record a better performance (more Rallies)game if I have chance.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

To be honest, if you want to improve, technique is one thing. You are not too bad but the video shows you are under no pressure at all. Therefore it difficult to give a comment on technique.

Being a good player means being consistent under pressure. The confidence in this is obtained by time spent on training routines on court. It's the same for any player all the way up to international level.

Generally people don't show a video on their training drill with a training partner. That is actually quite valuable information.

6. lhchia

lhchia Regular Member

1.training more in back court stroke. (not in game)
    2.ready your movement after ever hit.
    3.your right hand back court stoke need to improve.
    4.train your core for balance. your wrist as well.

just my point of view from the video.:)

7. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

I'm a bit worried you'll start having bad habits after few years of playing.

My suggestion is, have someone to show you the basics. For example the grip, split step, and recovery steps. Doesn't mean the strokes is not important. But having these 3 things will make you improve faster and you will not have bad habits when you play.

Bad habits is what limits most players in badminton. Do not let anything limits you.

My suggestion is based from the video you posted. After you've mastered the 3 basic things that I have mentioned, you'll see how different you are. There's a lot more basics you need to covered but lets start with the 3 things.

Gudluck

8. Sweden

Sweden Regular Member

Programmer
    In your net shots you wait for the shuttlecock to go to your racket.

9. lhchia

lhchia Regular Member

good comment

10. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

I would first concentrate on

a) a correct grip
    b) correct technique with this grip
    c) consistency

That should be enough for the next 2 years...;-)

11. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

i have expected worse after reading the comments
    while the comments already made are very basic and most important, here is what i thought:

to me you look lazy..no effort at all to get to the shuttle early
    you dont move back enough to hit the shuttle in front of you, at the same time (while in bad position) you try difficult attacking shots

in general you guys try to play a winner on (nearly) every stroke..i think in singles you should build up your point...make your opponent run, build up the advantage and kill/smash when possibility arrives

for the frontcourt: also no effort to get to the shuttle, therefore you hit it too late, too low and too sloppy

thats what i think you can improve immediately. right grip, technique etc etc needs a lot of time and work

#11 OhSearsTower, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

He looks lazy because he doesn't have the opponent that pressures him to play better :) As a pure social player, this is probably near as good as it can get.

Improvement is good but to what objective? The next step up is competitive play - leagues, teams etc

13. wangyii

wangyii Regular Member

Thank you all for comments.
    @consistent: I don’t feel much pressure when play with friends, so we can’t produce a good rally , so consistency is very rare, maybe I will find some club player to have a game next time.

@techniques: After watching some badminton coaching video, I find out my grip is too narrow,I will try to change that. For stroke, I don’t think I have many problems there, if you see please point out for me, my backhand is weak spot and when I lost advantages, no matter forehand backhand, they are weak spots.

@basics: for split step and recovery step, I think I will watch some coaching videos and do drills, I get used to my way to play, it takes time to correct my wrong movements.

@lazy: Yes, I should be more active, sometimes I just feel less pressure from opponent, then I think I don’t need to use much energy, then I become lazy. I should be more concentrate on every shot when play.

http://youtu.be/MiRqj-OlYOY

And this is new clip, compare to last one, I didn’t change any techniques(maybe a little grip), and I just try to be less lazy. Any thoughts?
    Thank you guys very much again!

14. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

From the latest video, i can see the split steps does helps you move fluidly. But you seems to standing straight while you should lower down your body a little bit when doing the split steps. While lower down, try to feel as someone pushing you from behind. That would add the explosiveness in your movement.

You need someone to show you the step when the shuttle goes behind you. You only need 3 steps including the split step. It's easy as that. Try watch Lin Dan perform it.

Recovery steps is still missing.

Your grip need to be lose at all time so that you can change it easily (fore/back hand).

Remember, your aim should be learning basics so that you will not have bad habits that will limit your improvement.

Goodluck

15. lausiekeik

lausiekeik Regular Member

Adding on
    1. For a shuttle that you cannot judge whether it is out or in, you should go there first.
    2. Your lift is weak. Lift is very important shot because it is foundation. If you master clear and lift, then you should be able to do other shots with accuracy.