keep on bouncing (footwork question)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by captivated, May 5, 2015.

1. captivated

captivated Regular Member

Any experienced player can advice me on this? Recently i found out that if i kept on bouncing on the court it really speeds up myfootwork covering court... Especially in doubles my reflexes were faster and more aggressive .. Unfortunately it wears me out alot to retain the bounciness..

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... yeah, if you bounced non stop during the rallies, you'll most likely not last time the whole game...

Search split step... and do a small 1 inch bounce on your forefeet when your opponent strikes the shuttle. Then the moment you land, you explode into your intended direction.

Remember it's not the initial going up that matters but the going down part that preloads your calf and thigh muscles to prepare them to explosively jump.

Think of it as standing on a bug under your forefeet and you want to squash it further. So you do a slight up then down motion, *without the forefeet leaving the ground and without the heels touching the ground.*

#2 visor, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
  3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

There is something to be said for "bouncing non-stop" -- to some degree, not going completely mad. Look especially at how the front attacker in doubles moves when the opponents are lifting to their partner. They are often very active.

This is an example of moving off the shuttle, which is an important topic.

4. captivated

captivated Regular Member

[MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION]
    Thanks for the advice
    I believe the split step has been my innate movement nowadays.
    The feeling for this bounciness is slightly diff IMO, cause it has the feeling that keeps me active all the time rather than being passive.
    I tried couple of things previously, for instance I kept my stance real low, my speed became faster, then I added this bouncy movement I became even more aggressive.
    The bounciness is something like keeping your legs active rather than standing still and then split step. Are you/have you experienced something like that?
    [MENTION=2233]Gollum[/MENTION]
    Yes I got what you mean, its just a simple bounce, something like moving my legs up and down and having the balls on my feet, but it does deplete my energy somehow. I could only maintain the momentum for a match or two before I start to procrastinate.

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yep, and Bruce Lee did it too, look how fast he was! LOL

6. visor

visor Regular Member

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" - Muhammad Ali

7. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    Split-stepping helps but I find that shifting your weight is more effective in terms of generating a directional force

8. renbo

renbo Regular Member

But then changing direction becomes problematic

9. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Very good post. You are fast to both opposite directions. On half court game I use to beat better players.