Will this tennis weight lifting program help my badminton?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by wangyii, Apr 30, 2015.

1. wangyii

wangyii Regular Member

I found this program in full fitness app, is it helpful?

Attached Files:

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    It is more helpful than not working out. But any fitness regime that brings you to a good level of whole body fitness will benefit you. I cannot comment on whether this is perfect for badminton... but if you did it, your badminton would definitely improve.

Any kind of exercise regime will work wonders for your badminton. I am currently enjoying P90X3. It has made me much quicker around the court during training.

Good luck!

3. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

My coach told me to do majority of the exercises. I found them useful, especially if you are the type with weak upper body and core. The exercises will help to strengthen the muscles commonly used by badminton and reduce the chances of injuries.

But there's a limit to how much you should do them. If you build up a bulky frame, then it may not be useful for badminton. Had some friends who built up such a bulky body that their movements are no longer agile and they are no longer as flexible. It becomes very easy to maneuver them.

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    The above post raises a good point: the workout you posted is not enough to be a good badminton player. It will help build strength because it is mainly resistance work (weights) with some core - but this is not enough to be well rounded athlete. Flexibility and endurance are extremely important: you should be doing some yoga workouts, plyo workouts and cardio workouts.

Only when you combine resistance, plyo, cardio, flexibility and core strength all together will you be a good athlete.

Good luck!

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

The workout in that app is super generic and wouldn't benefit a tennis player despite what it claims. There are much better generic workouts out there that focus on the basic multi-joint exercises and learning the proper form and progression for them. Consider the following exercises:

Legs
    squat
    deadlift
    lunge

Upper Body Pushing
    pushup
    1 arm press

Upper Body Pulling
    pullup
    row

Core
    Front plank
    Side plank

The above are your core exercises, focus on learning how to do each one with good form (tons of youtube videos doing this), then gradually increase either reps or weight while maintaining good form. Ditch the app, it looks pretty terrible in my opinion.

6. wangyii

wangyii Regular Member

Thanks! I'll try to follow this program, by the way, 1 arm press is it bench press or should press or both?

7. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member