Playing against a taller and stronger opponent? (Single)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by AreYouEvenMad, Apr 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. AreYouEvenMad

AreYouEvenMad Regular Member

I sometimes play against the older players/adults in my club, who are often taller and also physically stronger than me. I know that, theoretically, I can beat them, if I can force them to move around the court (I'm turning 16 soon, and they are often about 40 years old, so usually I have an advantage when it comes to speed and agility^^). My problem is, that I can't really get to that point, because I'm always getting pushed into the back of the court. That means, my opponent usually has the better position on the court and can actually send me wherever he wants: If I play a clear, he usually has the opportunity to smash, if I play a drop shot he will either play a short net drop and I have to run across the whole court (also I can usually get the shuttle, this is quite exhausting) or just send me back when I'm about to return to the front.

Do you have any advice for a situation like that? I know that improving my clear and doing some stamina/strength training would help me (I`m currently working on these things), but is there anything else I can do, tactic-wise? Thanks in advance ;)

2. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Don't worry, I'm 26 and can't beat some crazy grandfathers who are above 60.

My advice would be: concentrate on footwork, especially to the back corners, practice hitting shuttle to the 4 corners and learn to defend the smash

(you are playing singles aren't you?)

The problem you have is more of your footwork. you can't get behind the shuttle fast enough and be ready to move fast enough. also, I see no smash mentioned, so I assume your smashes are not on the corner enough or down the middle which are easy to defend against in singles

3. vixter

vixter Regular Member

First of all you probably have to accept that they are more skilled than you at this point. That you can beat them in theory sounds like a fantasy, seeing they beat you in reality. So you just have to be patient and work hard to develop your own skills and strenght, and in a few years I'm sure you can beat them. Improving the technique of your clear sounds very vital at this point. If they can play a strong smash from your clear it's simply not a good enough clear.

4. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

I'm not sure I understand the bolded. If he smash then you just have to return his smash and that will move him...right? Are you saying you're not good enough to return their smashes?

5. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

If they can smash at you, your clear is unlikely good enough for them. If your clears are going to a good length, then you will need to work on the height of your clears. If your clears are of a good length and height, then you will speed up the clears.

Try playing a fast attacking clear to them and see what they are able to return.

Returning a drop shot with a net shot is a common tactic. You either outplay them at the net or you move them around the net or move faster and take the initiative and push the net reply back to their back court.

As for them pushing you to the back when they see you coming to the front - learn to anticipate shots. Don't run before they hit.

6. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    The common mistake one does against more experienced and older players is that you try to either play their type of game or you're not making them work. Most people who've played for years and years are getting older have less stamina and worse movement ability (movement depends of course on the player and is relative). However they usually have good technique instead which is why you have to work on out maneuvering them instead of hitting the shuttle TO them. It might be hard if they actually are better than you in every way but the principle stands I think.
    You have to play smart in badminton because it's not just about getting the shuttle over the net into the opponents court. Tactics and mentality is also a big part of it.

7. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    Short answer: Adapt

Long answer: "Taller and stronger" is a great physical description that tells me nothing about they way they play. They can be tall and strong and smash the cr4p out of the bird or be tall and strong and play patiently. You need to adapt to the way they play and play against the way they do. If they like to smash then move them around. Typically people that like to smash everything are the type of people who aren't very smart but have a lot of heart. Usually if I play someone like this (not my style of play) they are usually much more physically developed than me to suit this style of play. So I usually drop the first set to them by "feeding" them. I never end the rally, but place the bird just out of their reach so that they have to push very hard to win the point. This usually looks like my opponent belly flopping around the court like a circus seal and then yelling after every point. After this game I usually manage to work them down to about my physical level. That's when I bring my game to them. Fast and steep shots. Typically I don't take the attack in the rally but bait them into attacking (which usually puts them in a compromised position) and then counter-attacking. Kind of Wing Chun-esque if you are familiar with the martial arts. Usually by the end of the game they don't want to play anymore.

I assume that's the kind of player you are talking about (smash hard smash everything type). If not then please elaborate on your description!

At the end of the day, badminton is more of a technical and mental sport than a brutish one. Taller and stronger doesn't necessarily mean better. In highschool I used to beat up on football players that would try out for the team, and these guys were twice my height and size.

Basic tactic against small players is to alternate between hitting at their bodies and at the corners. It usually ties their limbs in a knot

8. FeedingShuttles

FeedingShuttles Regular Member

student
    As some have already pointed out, I agree that it sounds like you should concentrate on proper footwork. This should really diminish the court movement issues you mentioned, and from my experience, you will automatically play better strokes, too (like long enough clears). Be aware, though, that this won't happen overnight. Learning proper footwork is hard! When I was your age I had quite a good Indonesian coach who had us start every session with 5x15 corners of shadow badminton after warmup. Do this with someone who knows good footwork to correct you, and you will improve a lot! (Also shuttle feeding sessions till you feel like p*king are very very effective).
    You have to get to a certain level of allround ability to even be able to properly apply tactics.

If you can, test your opponents ability to turn from certain corners to others. Many players have a corner they don't like to turn into. But again,you have to be able to force them there with some pressure to make it work!
    For example, can he turn from a front corner to his backcourt forehand/backhand consistently and well? Or does he have to play one predictable, interceptable, answer to that when under real pressure?

Test him, and play him very often. Try to play better clears each time, too. Unless he is extremely advanced, he should never be able to consistently do damage by smashing from the backline. This just doesn't happen when your clears are good.

9. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    It seems like most people here's advice is to simply get better, which is effective just a lot longer and harder for some. An alternative is to be smarter which i think is a lot easier but for some people it can be a lot longer and harder than the last option.

Chances are that if he is stronger than you then his clears will be very heavy and if you just focus on clearing to the back you will have a hard time keeping up your energy

10. nilavu

nilavu Regular Member

Regular & Boring
    Exactly. did this mistake in a local tournament semi finals. I did only clears for almost all the shots as did my opponent and got tired a lot earlier than him. He also ended up tired and losing in final to another guy, who was relatively stronger.

You cannot follow this strategy unless you have core and stamina of a marathon swimmer.

From my experience, tall guys ( not all ) are comparatively weaker in smash fakes and body smashes. You just have to identify the correct spot.

11. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    Typically their feet are less agile because of their length and they can get tripped up easier