Starting grip for doubles partner

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by cn1766, Apr 17, 2015.

1. cn1766

cn1766 Regular Member

I have got advice that when my partner is serving, it is better to hold the racket in a backhand grip especially if the serve is from the right hand side of the court, assuming the players are right handed. Is this true?

Thanks,
    CN

2. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

maybe neutral? as you can also hit backhand side shots with overhead and anticipate forehand side shots

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Yes. The reason:
    When your partner serves, you must be ready to defend against the opponents return of serve. You should adopt a defensive stance, and be ready for driven returns at the body. When waiting in defence, you should wait with a backhand grip.

The backhand grip is the best "waiting" grip, as it allows you to defend against whatever comes next. If the shuttle comes high, or to the forehand side, there is plenty of time to change grips. If the shuttle comes AT you, you do not have much time, and must hit with the correct grip - the backhand grip is probably best.

Good luck!

edit: I would not choose backhand based on where he is serving from or to. Just wait with the backhand grip and be ready!

4. cn1766

cn1766 Regular Member

Thank you Mike Scully and MSeeley your advice is much appreciated.

5. vinod81

vinod81 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Do you have to stand biased to return drives to the backhand corner?

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    No. Just stand around the middle line and be ready for everything. Do not bias your position - it just opens you up to other problems. Cover the whole court.

Remember all, that as the servers partner, your goal is to pounce on any kind of loose flat shot the returner hits. Be ready!

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You may wish to bias slightly, especially if you need to see past a tall / large server.

But only slightly. If you are standing completely in one half of the court or the other, then I think you've biased too much.