my forehand is weaker than my overhead

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jordanismee, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Jordanismee

Jordanismee Regular Member

Student
    I'm a right handed person, I'm 16 and I'm from Malaysia
    Currently I'm using z force (not bragging)I find it quite heavy.guys when I receive shots from overhead I feel comfortable to hit them like smash and etc, but for the forehand side it feels awkward to hit,it doesn't feel comfortable is this have something to do with the footwork?

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    You need to explain more clearly which shots are uncomfortable. Are they high? Low? At the net? In the mid court? What grip are you using?

If you can tell us a bit more, we can help you!

3. Jordanismee

Student
    Shots like clear which is very high making me feel alil bit awkward to hit back,I'm using v shape grip.

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I do not understand - you said overheads are easy to hit, which includes the overhead clear. Do you mean round-the-head vs shots in the forehand corner? i.e. you find shots easy to hit overhead when they are on the backhand side, but not easy when they are on the forehand side?

If that is the case, your problem is probably footwork, but could be any number of things. If possible, post a video.

5. Jordanismee

Student
    Yea round the head shot is easier than the forehand

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Then I can only suggest you need to work harder to get behind the shuttle - the hitting action is the same for both, so you shouldn't be struggling.

7. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Because the position is different, maybe you should adjust your grip and your stroke.

open your elbow, keep it faraway from your body

8. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    It sounds to me as though you may not be hitting the shuttle cleanly on your FH overhead or you're not getting behind the shuttle well enough.

May be your hitting action is ok, but at the point of contact, the face of your racquet is not "square". You will lose a lot of power if you don't hit it square.

Some people may tell you that you are not pronating well enough, my suggestion to you is to just concentrate on hitting the shuttle square and cleanly.

If you are not getting behind the shuttle, then yes, it is an issue with footwork.

It would help if you posted a video of you playing these shots.

9. lausiekeik

lausiekeik Regular Member

Try this, if you are right handed,
    Expand shoulder, stretch bow action like, left hand up, right hand swing at 12-1 oclock highest position, the shuttle must be in front of you (not behind u). You can try search youtube for this clear action.

10. m3w78

m3w78 Regular Member

real estate
    It sounds to me like the timing of your arm extension and forearm pronation are out of sync a bit. That would explain why around the head shots seem to be getting more power. When the arm is constricted, by reaching around the head, it might force you to accelerate your pronation a little more. Maybe try to use more of your forearm with a more relaxed arm extension on forehand smashes.

11. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    [MENTION=120199]Jordanismee[/MENTION]

I understand what you are talking about. The problem is a combination of the weight of your racket and your swing. An overhead shot forces you to use your entire body rather than just your arm, so you will swing harder with it than if you just use your arm itself

Think of your racket like a pendulum like this: http://askyourpendulum.com/How_to.asp

The voltric is a fairly flexible racket, so if you use a big motion like your overhead it will generate a lot of power like swinging the pendulum in a circle before letting go. Naturally it will go far. However you probably arent using the same amount of body when it comes to your forehand. This might be because the racket is too heavy for you. Your forearm swing would be like trying to toss the pendulum without winding it up first. It will be weaker. You have to learn how to wind up on your forearm too and use your entire body to swing rather than just your arm. Think of the shot as a full-body motion instead of just a swing. You turn your legs, then your waist and then your shoulders and then you swing your arm out rather than just swinging your arm out by itself.

This should help.