3U or 4U voltric 80

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by orangenetic, Apr 13, 2015.

1. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

I think i've posted this before but I still didn't get a clear answer for it and i'm close to ordering one so i'm posting it again.

Background

- Intermediate-Advanced level doubles
    - Also like to play singles
    - Favorite shots : Dropshots, Sliced dropshots, Flat drives, Jump dropshots(Not sure if that's a thing), Very steep smashes
    - Weakest shots : Forehand smash defense, Smash speed
    - Current Racket : Nanoray 300
    - Current string, tension : BG80, 27lbs
    - Reason for wanting a new racket : I've been using nanoray300 for a long time. When I started off with it I was at 21-22lbs and i've improved my skill to be comfortable enough at 27lbs. Also my improved skills helped me make full use of nanoray 300 (Now I can even feel it flex even though it's a stiff racket). This time I wanted to go for a head heavy racket and play power shots with more ease.

Why am I asking 3U or 4U?
    - I've always used a 3U or 2U racket till now and I just can't get the hang of 4U rackets. I've tried Voltric60 4U and Voltric 70 4U and I hated them both. I liked the fact that I could feel the head heaviness for a change but they just felt too light for me.

- Since the voltric 80 has a much heavier head than the 60 or 70, i'm not sure if the 4U voltric 80 will feel similar to an even balanced 3U racket or if it will feel lighter. But i'm afraid that the 3U voltric 80 might be too heavy to play doubles with it.

So any help?

2. orangenetic

3. joshinn6

joshinn6 Regular Member

buy both sell one off if you are worried.

4. lausiekeik

lausiekeik Regular Member

May be you can think of categorizing racket into 2 group, single and double, single 2 racket, double 2 racket, 1 for back up.

5. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Get 3U VT80 string at 28lbs BG66F.satisfaction guaranteed! Alternatively, get VTZFii 3U. Maybe gonna take a while to get used to it, but the journey to explore the wilder power is worth every €€€$$. dont go for 4U of any rackets. 3U is already light enough compared to the year 1970-1999 rackets. personal experience, 4U, 5U, 6U, 7U, 8U, 9U, 10U weight.... i dont understand why would bother with such little weight when you ain't playing tennis or squash! Get 2U if possible...but gonna be harder nowadays!

6. BadSID

BadSID Regular Member

Well, I use a (3U) Voltric 80 for playing doubles, and the same racquet comes handy while playing singles as well. I keep the tension steady at 24 pounds since I play with nylon shuttles. I also have a (4U) ZF-II, but the Voltric 80 (3U) remains my racquet of choice. Good luck.

7. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

V80 3u will be slightly slow for doubles. I rarely take it out of the bag for doubles. Not a fan of v80 4u though.

8. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Buy the 3U version, I have tried 4U and it sucks.

9. orangenetic

Ehhhh I'd usually go for a 3U racket but since I haven't owned any head heavy rackets, i'm not sure if I would go for the 3U or the 4U.

God this is a hard decision. Maybe i'll just get the 3U and if I think it's too heavy i'll put on another grip?

10. leejunlong999

leejunlong999 Regular Member

student
    possible solution eh

11. NeverWalkAlone

If u are asking whether 3u or 4u will have the same feel, it doesn't.

12. orangenetic

I was asking if a 4U Voltric 80 will feel the same as a even balanced 3U racket. But the main question is which weight I should buy.

13. leejunlong999

leejunlong999 Regular Member

student
  14. esppy

esppy Regular Member

4u VT80 is faster, it is lighter than a Arc11 3u with the feel of the load at the head.

Faster swinging than 3u VT80, which to me feels like a sledgehammer.

So no, you wont get the feel of a "3u even balance" by buying a "4u VT80".

I play only doubles and 4u vt80 is just fast enough for me on defense and whatnots. My tension is 28lbs and my VT80, VT80PG, and VT80ETN are all 4ug5.

15. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

If you come from a Nanoray and play more doubles, definetaly go for the 4U.

It will feel more solid and headheavy than a 3u Nanoray. A 3 u Voltric80 will just be too big of a jump from your current racket.

I would prefer the 4u VT80 anyway, but more so if you currently play a Nanoray...

16. orangenetic

I just recieved the VT80 4UG5.

It came with BG80Power 26lbs

First impressions : nice design but my nanoray300 looks faster. Also I noticed the head was much bigger than my nanoray300 and I also noticed the shorter grip.

Feeling on hand : It feels the exact same as holding the 3UG5 nanoray300. But with dry swings I could feel the head weight coming in. Don't see a big difference in swing speed but the VT80 feels much bulkier than nanoray300. Nanoray300 sounds like a "swish" while VT80 sounds like a "WOOSH"

I haven't got to play with it on court yet but i'm looking forward to it. I put my tension one pound lower than my usual 27lbs since it's more head heavy but it just feels too spongy when pushing on the strings. When the strings break I will change it to BG80 skyblue 27lbs.(my favorite string)
    :)

17. the_cutter

the_cutter Regular Member

I hope it serves you well. My current favorite racket is also a VT80 4UG5 (PG ver.) with BG80 skyblue 24/26 tensions. :)

18. NeverWalkAlone

I have to retrack my comment here. When i was playing with the 'mentioned' VT80 4u, it was many years ago.

It's kind of a coincidence truthfully. I was going for BS10 but got MX80n 4u instead recently and loved the head heavy 4u so much, i ordered VT80PG 4u as back up! :p

19. NeverWalkAlone

Hey. U sure have lotsa volt80 to play with. Recently, the price for volt80 decreased significantly and i ended up with 2 4u volt80 pg. :D

However i have not had the chance to play with them yet. It's festive holiday here & most of my colleagues are on leave. How is the defense with the racket compare to vzf1? (Or ur other rackets)

20. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Defense wise... I would say it suffers because ultimately its still head heavy, one thing I noticed was it is stiffer AND HH-ier than a 80ETN. But for head heaviness I only use the bottom 2 parts, so there's that.

Quite the hard racket to use if you're caught in sudden situations, but if you expected the shuttle to come your way, then defense wise, I can still get it there to block/return back. But c'mon, offense is the best defense and you won't win anything by defending :p