How do you beat opponent who only hit back court?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by john1994, Jan 28, 2015.

1. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

How to vs someone who play high shot a lot?

How do I play against someone who is always hitting high shot, I try high shot but my opponent who is like 6'2 get everything, all he does is play high clear and lob, I am just average in height just can't reach the shuttle, I play high shot he smash, I play low shot, he lob behind. So what should I do, Is easy to lob the shuttle than to drop shot, whenever I do drop shot, he does a net shot and I have to run to the front, which is too far from back court to run to the front. I know drop shot is good but I am always out of reach, so unfair man, any tip on what to do?

2. bestindigital

bestindigital Regular Member

Data Engineer
    I am 6' 2" and I have long legs. I can stretch quite far. I can kill at the net pretty easily because I am tall and have good wrist power and technique. I can jump pretty high so trying to clear me over my head does not work most of the time.

My weakness is also my height and long arms. If you play straight at my chest, I have a hard time. Net rallies are also sometimes difficult since my head sticks up well above the net and so I have to bend my legs a bit so I am lower and grip my racket higher. My back-hand from deep in the back court is also iffy- I get it right 50% of the time, and am working on my technique.

So, find out what his weakness is - watch him play against someone better than you - watch what mistakes he makes, and then think about how you can exploit it. Don't try to clear him if it's not working - you'll end up frustrated. You can work on your leg muscles and compensate for shortness by being able to jump high.

And if you're having trouble going from the back court to the net when he drops - it could be because (a) you're not fast enough (b) you're hitting the shuttle back to him in a way that makes it easy for him to drop (c) you're not anticipating right.

Could you upload a video of the 2 of you playing, maybe?

Aventus likes this.
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

I hate playing against tall players...you're right, so unfair.

4. bestindigital

Data Engineer
    Don't you be hating on us :D You shorter ones are usually quicker and jump higher than us.

5. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

That why Chen long win, biggest cheater in the world. I mean badminton is badminton, I hate when I cannot hit high shot just because my opponent is tall, feeling threaten is stupid make the game unfair, because I have less option, since I have to play low shot instead of high shot, I play with average height player I can have more option high or low shot, but tall player only low shot, cheater seriously cheater, Tall player will always have 2 option, biggest cheater in the world, so unfair haha.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, and Hong Wei and Mogensen too. Some crazy smash angles.

But as bestindigital mentioned, body shots and forcing them to reach down low is your only chance to score some points.

7. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

but if they have good reaction you can forget about aiming their body, they just gonna absord ur smash and drop in the front and u have to run. I don't think work a lot, they still have advantage no matter what. Conclusion still unfair. we only can shoot body and low shot, they have high clear, steep drop shot, steep smash, easy lob shot, intercept. attacking clear. they can do more stuff than we do. At the end of the day is still unfair haha.

#7 john1994, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    Aventus likes this.
  8. bestindigital

Data Engineer
    If the guy you're playing against is tall, has great reaction, can smash, drop, clear, intercept, serve and everything real well, maybe you should find someone of your own skill level to play with. :D We're trying to help .. it sounds like you've already quit in your mind. :D

9. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

Well this tall guy is about same level as I do, in fact I am much better player than him and he is only intermediate, despite that he still beat me most of the time. I believe if I same height as him I would be a real beast, I want to a beast not a guy running around defending crazy smash, do you u know how scary tall guys smash.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Well, if it makes you feel any better, you can always start playing against someone shorter than you...

11. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    I believe a lot still depends on your stroke , foot work movement and speed, Jorgensen and Chen Long are tall , but still lost to Lee Chong wei at times. Both Chia Biao/Hong Wei Tall, but also lost to Lee Yong dae/Yoo in Dubai final.. A lot still depends, on footwork , skills and speed of the game

12. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

Nope lee chong wei just more experience, but let say lee chong wei 6 foot version vs lee chong 5 foot version, so who win? the tall guy win, as said tall people are real cheater no skill at all using physical to win.

13. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

little kid vs chen long, kid is 3 foot tall, no matter how hard kid train I don't think he can beat chen long. there u go.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    this is amazing! If he beats you, he's better than you. You have to work out how to beat him and then you can say you are better than him. You can't change your height but you can play better and smarter.

15. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

I know that, I am just talking how unfair is it, I know there is always way to win, all people say is train ur skill, which is not absolutely true, I mean a small guy which is a mouse vs a big guys which is a lion. Is definitely a disadvantage for shorter people.

16. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    You do not sound like you want to beat this guy - the easy thing about playing tall players is they try to reach everything, rather than move. When people reach for the shot, they normally play soft shots to the net, because they are not in position to hit with power. So if you make him reach... he will probably play a loose shot to the net - which you can take really early and put him in lots of trouble.

So, play a really high clear to the back line. What does he do? Does he drop? Then just play a net shot and make him lunge down low, or hit it to the other back corner and he will reach out and take it late. Does he clear? Then just play a clear to the other back corner, or play a fast angled drop shot to make him reach down for the shot - he will probably play a block, and you should come in and hit the shuttle fast and high cross court, so he has to twist and turn and move.

The best tactic is to lift fast down the middle of the court. In order to deal with a fast clear down the middle, you need to move backwards quickly. However, taller players tend to move slower and they find it difficult to reach shots that are in line with their body, rather than out to the sides. This is my secret tactic for playing tall players - they always always always struggle with a clear that goes directly over their head, rather than out to the sides.

If you smash at him, and he gets it back - who cares?! All you do is move forwards and try to kill it - just keep hitting at him!

Singles requires working hard to beat people - it doesn't matter how tall they are.

Good luck!

17. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

alright thanks I will take your advice :)

18. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    John, I'm 6' tall and used to play with someone who was 5'4; he used to put up a damn good fight, and we were pretty even in terms of wins and losses. He had to take more steps than I did to reach the back court, and he worked that out; as soon as he did he started arching his back more to hit those shots to reduce the number of steps he was taking.

That said, I play against someone who's around 6'4, and he's very agile. He's also able to produce those much steeper smashes because of his height. So I've been on both ends of this, playing the shorter players, and playing the taller players.

You're gonna have to learn his weaknesses, or find out what you need to improve to win. I've had shorter players learn my weaknesses and play to them, and I've had to do the same with players bigger than I am. It's definitely possible. Don't be disheartened and keep going for it.

19. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Are you sure about this? Never heard of that...
    I mean, if you hit a clear down the middle, it creates less movement pressure. Sure, you have to react faster, but it's just 1 or 2 steps back.

20. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I think it means, because you're taller, you have less time to move to the back as a tall person to hit the optimal point. As a tall person your reach is obviously higher, so if the shuttle falls and you have to take it with a bent arm, you can't generate as much power. Makes you likelier to hit a flatter shot too.