What are some effective ways to return serves (low and high)?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JukUx, Apr 9, 2015.

1. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

Hello fellow badminton friends!

Lately I've been struggling with service returns and its creating a mental block in my head. I've been told that my service returns of a low serve are readable as I often repeat the same returns. For example, receiving on the right, I'd brush/push to the right corner in front of the service line but in the alley. On the left, I would brush/push to to the other corner but same spot. Alternatively, I'll place a drop to the center.

It seems that I am either, doing my moves too slow that the front court player can reach it and is pushing it straight or they're anticipating it. So my question to you guys is, what else can I play???

Secondly, I am starting to get flicked way too often and I am struggling to return it with power or angle. I usually aim towards the flicker or I try to place the smash straight into the alley. Problem with smashing at the flicker is he returns it really well and it screws up me and my partner because he/she doesn't take it cause I guess its my shot? (The shot ends up between us) I am not sure... but I am terribly off balance.

I think in general, my return of serves is really shaky right now. I seem to have lost all confidence and it's really frustrating considering I use to be really confident with it until I took a break from competitive badminton.

To sum it up, my questions are..

a) How should I prepare myself when receiving a serve? for a low serve, and a high serve? I usually stand maybe 2 inches from the service line. I tried LJB method of the split step thing early and move, and it ended up being terrible for me lol

b) What are some effective returns on a low serve? and again, what are some effective returns on a high serve?

Looking forward to hearing some tips, I really need them to pull me out of this state of mind.

2. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    for the flick, if you can't get a good smash, just clear it. You also need to communicate with your partner to take the front if you smash when flicked.

you don't need to force yourself to smash or drop the flick if it isn't possible or isn't good enough

also, don't stand on the line, stand a bit further back, maybe one to one half step from the service line.

3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer

To answer a), I think it depends on the flick, not all flicks are the same. But interestingly despite a lot of people disagreeing with the LJB split step initial movement to return flick serves, I partially agree with it. This is partly because I do it naturally/subconsciously anyway, long before I've even heard of LJB. But I don't do it all the time. With some flick serves it is quicker to jump from where you stood if you have the leg strength.

Going back to the split step, I don't think LJB has explained it well enough to do it justice. Which is probably why a lot of people were confused by it and don't accept it. When the flick is high such that you cannot intercept it easily with a single jump and deep such that turning and stepping back is too slow, I tend to use the "split step" [it's not really a split step, more a quick initial shuffle on the balls of your feet]. This is like the 1st gear in your car - it gets you rolling without taking up much time but doesn't cover much ground. It's the initial acceleration to get you moving before you start using your legs to cover the ground. However it does gain you perhaps 6 inches or so which can make a lot of difference to the shot you play.

In answering b) you have a few options depending how early you get to the shuttle. The earlier you get to the shuttle the more options. And the more options you have the more difficult it is for your opponent. So aim to get there quickly. Do this by standing as far forward as you feel comfortable and still able to cover flicks. Bend knees to keep low and racquet up. Try to read the service action and anticipate the low serve to get a head start.

Generally you want to aim downwards to get the attack and to make it harder for your opponent. The two rear corners are common areas to return to but it must be low and fast, otherwise the server could intercept. If you are early, the mid-court sidelines are good places to return to. However if you are confident with your net play/touch, a simple net drop will often get you the attack but it must be tight, preferably with a bit of spin. Finally, you can occasionally drive it fast down the middle towards your opponents.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The split step doesn't really work that well for serve return. For the flick serve, it's more of a push off the loaded front leg, leading into either an immediate jump or a quick, short initial movement backwards. Try to time your push with the serve so that you are (just slightly) loading your front leg more as the server is serving.

Since you are standing so close to the service line, you are in position to take the low serve very early. Focus on this, and keep playing the simple net shots and midcourt pushes away from the server. You just need to work on the quality a little.

It shouldn't really matter that much whether the server is expecting the shot. A good push taken early is still hard to attack. Now of course you can throw in some deception, but the best low serve returns are simple shots played to a high level of quality.

For the midcourt pushes, just work on taking the shuttle very early and guiding it gently downwards into the tramlines. You don't want it to pop up for the server to attack. For your standard push, aim beyond the service line and into the midcourt, rather than in front of the service line. That extra bit of pace makes it harder for the server to step forwards and intercept.

For the flick serve -- well, you're standing at the front so you're going to get flicked. Work on your initial speed of push-off. Also practise quick jumps to intercept the flatter flicks. Don't be afraid to clear it when you're in trouble, although you don't want to be clearing all the time.

Don't always go for the big smash. If the flick serve is good, you probably cannot wallop it hard. Go for controlled attacking shots such as half smashes, fast drops (and slow drops sometimes off a flat flick), and even sliced smashes. Use slice and reverse slice to vary your shot angle if possible; these will allow you to get the shuttle away from the server, with a bit of deception too. It's all about controlled attacking shots, or a good positive clear if you're in too much trouble.

You are going to be off balance returning a good flick. That is the nature of the situation. Remember that a slightly slower attacking shot also gives you more time to recover for the next shot, whereas if you go for the big smash then the return will be coming back at you in an instant.

#4 Gollum, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  5. visor

visor Regular Member

For low serves, just block to the sides of the net or if you get it early enough brush it to the sides past around the service line. As Gollum said, guide is the operative word.

For flick serves, if not fast enough for a smash, go for placement instead, usually fake smash drop to the server partner's side as the server is usually retreating to defend.

#5 visor, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Exactly why the server's side is good for a drop... the server is moving in the opposite direction.