Tips to getting back into badminton... after 4 years

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by markiewan, Apr 8, 2015.

1. markiewan

markiewan Regular Member

Hi there everyone,
    This is my first thread here so bear with me haha.
    As the title states I'm trying to get back into badminton after a massive 4 year hiatus after I developed arthritis in my ankles and knees at 17 from playing too much.
    I used to train about 6 times a week at a reasonably high level.
    I've decided that I'd make a return to badminton because i haven't been doing pretty much any exercise after i found out about my condition, and gaining quite a bit of weight :D.
    Was just after any tips or advice to safely redevelop the skills I used to have or anything that you guys have found helpful if you've been in a similar situation to me.
    Sorry if this has been addressed before, i couldn't really find too much.
    Thanks!

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I had some joint instability in my left leg, I grabbed a support, and if my leg ever felt sore, I wore the support. No gambles taken. I would recommend you do the same and ease back into it.

3. markiewan

markiewan Regular Member

The first thing i did was buy voltaren and a knee support haha.
    Do you only wear it when it's sore?

4. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I did, but mine wasn't arthritis. I honestly find the supports can be a bit awkward to wear, so I was reserved with it.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Make sure you do more exercises for the legs to strengthen the muscles there.

6. markiewan

markiewan Regular Member

Do you have any go to exercises in particular? I don't think i can do anything very rigorous but am curious to know if you have some light leg strengthening exercises?

7. visor

visor Regular Member

skipping rope

8. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Lunges and ranger hops work too.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

If you have had problems with knees and ankle, one way is to visit a physiotherapist for a short course of muscle strengthening exercises that is specific to you.

10. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    Shedding that extra weight gained will go easy on the knees n ankles...

11. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

try to ease yourself back in, don't think you can play to the same level you could previously. I learnt this the hard way. Hopefully if you can make your way back steadily it will all be good.

12. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I retired for 8 years with elbow injury. Didnt smash for 1st season back. So I suppose take it easy!

13. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    Did you get arthritis or arthrose?

Make sure to develop the muscles which support knee and ankles. A bad diet is often a cause of arthritis and arthrose as well.

14. markiewan

markiewan Regular Member

haha Yea, actually i picked up badminton in order to shed some of these kilos haha, i have a detest for swimming.
    ahhh okay! In the few sessions i've played it's been hard to realize i can't play the same as i could. Though it really comes through in any sort of finesse shots like nets or drop shots or some deception shots, i have terrible consistency now. The problem is my smashing and clearing isn't so rusty so i choose to do that, problem is going overboard on those power shots after the break and adding a shoulder injury to my list HAHAH but will definitely take your advice =].
    Mmm my rheumatologist diagnosed me with psoriatic arthritis, not 100% sure what arthrose is. I think my condition is genetic though it's quite rare in someone my age so they still don't know the exact reason. Though, you're right, I'll try and keep my diet in check, ITS SO HARD.. SO MUCH GOOOD FOOOOD ><
    I'll try and do so more research to find some exercises to strengthen the muscles without worsening my condition.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Your first post is confusing :) Did you develop arthritis from playing badminton or the arthritis is due to the psoriasis?

Most people find the power shots easier.

Just have to emphasize again that improving the strength in your lower limbs will help minimise injury, do a good stretch routine before playing, do a good warming up session and practice netshots and little forecourt push shots at the forecourt.

I'd definitely recommend a physio rather than an Internet forum for definitive exercises.

#15 Cheung, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  16. markiewan

markiewan Regular Member

haha sorry, i think it was both. Training too much put alot of strain on my joints and sped up the inevitable arthritis. That's how i understand it anyways. HAHAH i could be 100% wrong, but given that Psoriatic arthritis is an auto immune, my body must of thought it needed some extra in my ankles and knee due to the amount of pressure and strain i was putting on them, meanwhile having psoriasis. And so now both have been swollen ever since, though finding out it was arthritis recently and treating it accordingly has really helped. Though again this is just speculation, doesn't really matter too much anymore just have to learn to take it easier and smarter and utilise the wisdom of others hahaha. I didn't put the complete story which is why it's probably a bit confusing ahaha just didn't think wanna bother people with a wall of text.

Yeap, if you know any out of the ordinary stretches that seem to work for you or have a sick warmup routine please let me know, haha i'll keep doing the stock stretches and warmups though to hopefully strengthen!

17. bbmars

bbmars Regular Member

Technical offier
    I once had long lay off, about 12 years and due to work fatigue, went back to play badminton. After 12 years and aging into early 40s, I started playing with mind still very alert and tried doing the lots of stuff which I used to do when I was younger. Within moths, I started developing tennis elbow and arm injury. Forcing myself to retrieve shuttle which my body could not cope what my mind had been telling me to do. I Cope not keep pace with what I thought I could like in my younger days.

Soon, could not play any more due to pain and injury. Stopped and rested for another 2 years before my health started showing sign and doctor asked me to go back to exercise. This time round, I began to pay more attention to my physical condition and adapt well. I am back to my game since and enjoying it except that as I am aging even more now, I don't expect myself to play with high intensity. Slow down my pace and also avoid risk of knee injury. If I think a game has too much demand, I will deliberately slow my game or even to loose it even if I think I can win if I up my tempo. Not worth it.