Children: best age to start badminton

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bitteren, Apr 6, 2015.

1. bitteren

bitteren Regular Member

Engineer
    No I agree there are no hard evidence (probably will never be) that high level man amateur can beat high ranking world level woman player, either in single or double. what's the incentive for the pro anyway

what I tried to present, is that in many occasion (subject to debate), that high level genuine amateur male player can beat high ranking pro women, and the skill level of the man is demonstrated and cross checked by playing against either ex world level man or woman or whatever known level. I am not aware of any other source of verifying these guys level....and also what level an genuine amateur who start at 25 can achieve, with some natural talent and a die hard spirit (from what I heard the chef is a regular in the chinese badminton forum)

#1 bitteren, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I have copied the above post from another thread. It is quite interesting.

There seems to be something around the ages of 10-11 that affect the development of children and their skills. I don't know if it is the sheer number of hours they are exposed to as a child. People who start training in badminton before the age of 10-11 seem to have more fluidity and 'natural feeling' in their strokes.

I noticed a similar phenomena in languages from Chinese people I met in University. If that person had moved to UK around 10-11years old or before, then their spoken English was pretty natural and near native. Above that age, you would still be able to know they were second language learners.

So, for those forummers who have relatives/friends with children under the age of ten, think about getting them down to the badminton courts for regular training!! Earlier might be better:)

#2 Cheung, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  3. holhm22

holhm22 Regular Member

Student
    I started badminton when I was 8. Been playing for 7.5 years now.

4. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    How would you compare with others at the same age group? Some may start earlier and some may start later than you.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

probably around that age is when they're starting to be able to focus better for skills development, develop interests/passions, understand instructions, understand their own bodies physical aspect, etc

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

True but it seems to me that those who start younger have smoother strokes. Your description also applies to teenagers.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

of course, the younger they start the better

but from just looking at my 10 and 12 yr old kids, probably around 10 is when they're more self motivated to learn a complicated skill like this

8. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

Complicated...!? Should b more like fun... how I wish I was sent for training at that age...!!

9. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Can you rival LD if you start young.

10. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Complicate? Really? Try give two i phone to your kids see if they can learn to operating them without you as a father teaching them.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

haha. Visor is underestimating his kids ability on complicated motor skills. Hand them an XBoxOne Visor.;)

Here's something else interesting - I have been told by an experienced coach that molding the competitive attitude of a child is far easier before they are 10years old. After 10 years old, they start developing into likes and dislikes.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

lol... you should know that just last week, the older child changed the passcode on the younger's ipad ... and can't remember what the new code is! and now, i'm stuck with the possibility of having to wipe it and reboot it from a backup... :(

#12 visor, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  13. visor

visor Regular Member

yes, by around this age, they start to develop a sense of self ... and you can't force them to do anything they don't really like without much persuasion

14. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

My principle would b to enforce them to do things that we as parents think are beneficial to them in the long term. As they start to bcome teens at 12, thats when we should let go of the reins slowly n let them decide n choose what they want to do that makes them happy. Would call it enforced guidance...

15. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

Nope, am not coveting his status or fame. Wish I could start young so I would know what is my potential as a leisure, casual player... lol

16. bitteren

bitteren Regular Member

Engineer
    agreed. probably human nature, in general people dont like being told, right or wrong.

would be interesting to know that if one starts being professionally coached from 20, say after 10 years, will he achieve a similar standard as someone else who starts at 10? i doubt there will be such example though.

17. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Wang Yihan started at around 9.

Zhang Ning says that was too late!!!

18. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I think it is not only starting at this or that age, it is more at what age a child start formal training. Playing without drills on footwork and specific strokes is not helping I beleive.

19. renbo

renbo Regular Member

She probably see the biggest untaped potential in WYH

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It would certainly be fascinating to see if a twenty year old can attain the standard of somebody who starts routines and skills training before 10 years old (and that the twenty year old has put in the same number of hours). Agree with renbo.

I think they can become very good but not quite the same fluidity and "naturalness" of the adult that had formal training as a child.

I think it's the same with languages - the older you are to start a second language, the less likely you will achieve native speech - fluent, yes but not native.