Help in Choosing a Badminton Partner

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ashers888, Mar 21, 2015.

1. ashers888

ashers888 Regular Member

Hello everyone,

I would like some help in choosing a partner for a men's doubles tournament. I am playing on the A Team for a place in the final.

I have a choice in 2 partners, for simplicity let's call them Player A and B

Player A likes to drop shot and is very good at the front. His playing style is fairly aggressive, but has a very short temper and swears fairly often when he or his partner makes a mistake.

Player B loves to smash and can hit the shuttle very hard, his net shot aren't the best but he is massive (6'2) so people aren't tempted to netshot when he is at the net. Attitude wise he is a very kind hearted person.

Unfortunately it was a dispute between Player A over Player B which gave me this dilemma.

As for myself, I prefer to play at the rear and enjoy smashing and am willing to run around to get the shuttle. I do dropshots seldomly as I am young and slightly hotheaded! My netshots are okay but could be better.

Thanks for reading this. Please post your suggestions below. :)

2. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Technically
    If you are more of a rear player, it's best if you partner with A. If you are with B, you'll lose the front court

But mentally and for feelings
    I think it's best if you partner with B.

Unless you are an owi type player who will just nod with everything the butet type player says

3. tonykimatpl

tonykimatpl Regular Member

Student
    It really comes down to what you value the most. Is it team morale, or is it sheer performance. That being said, you should keep in mind that low morale could decrease performance, and vice versa. You're going to be making a trade off anyways, so go with the one you feel comfortable partnering with.

4. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Given that it's a competition, I definitely have no patience to deal with someone who can't handle himself. And also because he swears, that could very well cause us something. Not worth risking IMO. I will choose Player B.

If both of you are good at the rear court, then tactical adjustments could be made to rotate both of you to keep the attack. I do that with my partner often, as both of us are rear court players.

5. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

I wouldn't trust player A with the tournament. Frustration in MD is tough to deal with because if he affects you, you won't play as well either. I'd suggest player B by experience, even though you have skills complementary to player A's.

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    life is about balancing three things:

1. what you like subjectively
    2. what is objectively best.
    3. whatever works in practice.

but research shows your feelings win 70% of the times!!

7. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

In order to determine this, we need to know how do you cope with someone who swears and have short temper because style wise it seems he complements you better. Some people don't mind it and even like the competitiveness, other people get frustrated or even feel bullied by it.

8. seagame2001

seagame2001 Regular Member

CNC
    I think kinda funny question. You play with them so u should know who is better partner for your game.

9. Ihasdapie

Ihasdapie Regular Member

Student
    I personally try and find someone who I can really communicate with, cause I often do stupid things that can be corrected with communication.