Grip sizes/over-gripping small vs large?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JustinG, Feb 17, 2015.

1. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Hey guys, I'm still fooling around with my over-grips; sometimes I only put on one, and sometimes I put on two. The funny thing is, I'm only 5'4, and my hands are not really that big. I have strong hands from having a gym back ground but I really don't know what to do with my over grip.

Is there no standard for grip size? Like, what do the pro's do? I find I have more raw power when I am using a racket with two overgrips; however, when I use a racket with one over grip, I find I have more control/finesse on some shots. Is that generally how it goes?

I would like to just solve this issue once and for all!

All help is welcome :)

thanks

2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Noone can help you there. It's really a matter of preference, style of play,...

FWIW: I play one overgrip on the bare wood.

3. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    Racket handle these days come in standard G5 size. Having big wide palms, I found one layer overgrip is just not sufficient for me. So I tried to find a middle ground to compromise...

What I did was wrap Victor cushion wrap around the handle before putting on an overgrip. For each handle, I match the length of the wrap to a racket length. Only covered up to 4/5 of the handle. Eventually, the handle is slightly thicker n feel just right for me...

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    As a guide, when you adopt the basic grip, your thumb should be able to just touch your middle finger - if it can't get close, your grip is too fat. If it overlaps your fingers it is too thin.

Grip size is important. Too thin will cause an injury for many people, whilst too fat will result in less power because you cannot use your finger strength properly.

My honest advice - stop tinkering with it. Its not going to help, its not going to improve your game, its not going to make a difference between you and other people. Just pick something that is comfortable - thats the one you should stick with - but bear in mind my rough guidance above. Picking something that is in this range will ensure you are not going to be limited by injury or technique problems.

Good luck!

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

If you want to tinker with it, then you can tinker quite a lot. ;) As Matt said, don't expect it to raise the quality of your play; but there's no harm in finding a setup that you like. :)

I have to admit I've tinkered with my grip size every so often. For some shots (e.g. doubles defence) I'd like it a bit thinner; but then it would be too thin for power shots and started hurting my arm or wrist a bit.

What I did was to make the bottom part of the grip fatter, but the top part thinner -- so the handle is slightly conical, tapering thinner towards the racket head.

You can do this by wrapping the handle in layers of electrical insulation tape. You can wrap more layers, or thicker, near the bottom of the handle. You then apply your grip (or grips) on top of this. Because electrical tape is very thin, you can make your grip precisely the size you want it.

Another modification you can make is to add a "stopper" at the bottom of the handle, by building up the size of the very last part. Quite a few professionals do this. Just use an old piece of grip tape to bulk it up.

#5 Gollum, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  6. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I had problems using the Yonex AC102EX as an overgrip on my racket. The grip was too thin and resulted in some arm pain creeping in. I'm speculating here, but because both grips were thin, I think it made for a fairly hard grip.

I changed back to my old grips (Karakal Super Grip) and that met my needs a lot better. You have the extra thickness to improve grip, but because it's quite soft you can squeeze reasonably well with it to play control shots.

Personally, I shouldn't have switched away from my old grips. It caused me problems. MSeeley is quite right in saying that it can cause problems. I now use one Karakal Super Grip on wood.

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Its not to say that I haven't tinkered a lot too! I did... far too much... trying to find the perfect thickness and weight distribution etc etc. I love different types of grip e.g. the super grips and the overgrips...

But in the end it was just a distraction. I now use towel grip on wood, and just get on with it. There is far too much to think about in this game without worrying about grips too!

8. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    No overlap. Is that right? I've just had to wrap a sock round my grip to get it that big. Now its big for a tennis grip! 106mm compared to 80. I've gone this thin so I can move grip position quickly, otherwise I pretty much have to lock one grip and hope I don't need to backhand.

[​IMG]

9. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Oddly I used my left hand to decide what felt most natural. I'm right handed though.

10. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I actually have a fairly large grip for badminton and is what I have been comfortable with for many years. To give you some idea of size, on a typical Yonex G4 grip, I would put 3-4 overgrips on top. It's not massive, but bigger than most. And for the record, my thumb can easily touch (and lap) my middle finger.

There are several reasons why I have it this big. Firstly it gives me better grip of the racquet. I have very very dry hands and quite a fast swing, if I used a towel grip the racquet would fly out of my hand all the time. So I always go with the tackiest grips I can find but as I grip my racquet quite loosely, there is still not enough "grip" for me with thin grips, so by increasing the size there is more grip. And because I am more confident the racquet won't fly out of my hand, I can swing faster and so gives me more power.

Secondly, it seems to prevent my forearm and hand aching. I used to have aching forearms after a long session, but since enlarging the grip this has gone away.

Finally, I find the larger grip gives a more solid shot. The racquet face is more stable for off-centre shots but even perfectly-timed-sweet-spot shots feel more solid.

But there are downsides, I don't change grip as fast so have to adopt a more neutral grip sometimes. There is less manoeuvrability around the net area, but my game hadn't suffered.

11. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I have reread what I wrote, and the thing about the thumb is not what I was trying to say! Sorry for the confusion - its nothing to do with the thumb but I find it difficult to describe!

Its to do with the middle and lower fingers and the thumb pad (below the thumb). With a relaxed grip, I would expect that the fingers may nearly be in contact with the thumb pad, but may not actually touch. For reference, see the side on view of the basic grip on badminton bible - you will see that the bottom fingers do not quite touch the hand. However, when you squeeze the grip, they may touch at that point.

Sorry for any confusion - I agree, with a normal grip, the thumb would easily be able to reach around the grip etc.

However, everyone is different. I know some people who need to have a thicker grip to stop vibrations hurting their arm - this is an easier alternative than buying a more forgiving racket or considerably increasing your strength. I know other people that feel they can't grip a towel grip. For me, its the other way around - I need to use a towel grip because I sweat so much that regular grips get too slippery for me! Yes I could use one type on hot days and another type on other days, but its too much hassle!

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I think this is the best way to "measure" your grip. :)

If you can do this, then I think your grip size is okay. From here, you may choose to go slightly thicker or thinner, but at least you have a good starting point.

azchuah1 likes this.
  13. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... not thumb pad... thenar eminence...

[​IMG]

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Because everyone is familiar with that term, right?