Improving front court intercept

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by triam, Feb 12, 2015.

1. triam

triam Regular Member

IT architect
    Hello guys,

I have tried searching but not finding what I want. How to train to improve front court intercepts in doubles. I think I am a good intermediate player in doubles but the biggest weakness I have is I let a lot of drives go past me when I am the front guy in doubles. What drills can I do to overcome this?

Thanks

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Let's say your partner is about to smash from near the back of the court, and he's not under too much pressure.

Can you tell us where you would be standing? And where is your racket?

Also, does this problem happen consistently, or does it only happen when your partner's smash was a bit weak?

#2 Gollum, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  3. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

This is a good question. Being a good net player is underrated by many players.

I generally find that when playing mixed, because of the lack of female players, The standard is lower and many generally dodge all but the slowest of net replies.

When playing with men they often lack the patience to stay at the net and are too often thinking about rotating into the rear court. Hence are often not focused properly on the net both positionally and psychology.

When playing with a player female or male with good ability to intercept and kill its jackpot!!

I think when 1st starting to learn badminton I think learning to play at the net is easiest compared playing at rear. But as standards increase mastering the net is more difficult.

Playing in the net is like being a striker in football. You have to be patient and ready to pounce to put away the points. sometimes when playing club night games players may apologize saying sorry should have left for you for attempting to intercept. I so no need its practice if you keep going half chances you'll get better and be more deadly for competition.

I think given many peoples inability to truely master the net it often renders playing attack and defensive rotation no more effective than just playing sides for all but the most advanced players. The exception being at lower levels where one player is weaker than the other. Best to keep them at the net if your goal is to win the game.

Aventus likes this.
  4. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    I think the flat drives that you see the pros warming up with is a good drill for net play in general. If you try to keep moving forward and keep trying to kill the shuttle as best you can when doing these flat shots is a really good drill.

5. No_footwork

No_footwork Regular Member

Accountant
    I find myself being more successful in intercepting the shuttlecock at the net recently. I think it's a matter of studying and accessing the tendencies of your opponents plus knowing when to strike.

I assume your side has control and is attacking which is why you are in an "I" formation.

In this formation, I tend to shift towards the half of the court where the birdie is to take away their easiest shot directionally (straight). If my partner's doing his job and is maintaining the pressure by smashing or dropping, my positioning is forcing my opponents to lift or attempt a crosscourt drive.

While covering the straight reply, I am looking to intercept the crosscourt shot which in theory has to be slower. The reason is if they hit it as hard as a straight drive, it has a greater likelihood of going out.

To establish this "play", I must establish that I can kill any straight replies. In other words, I have to prove to my opponents that they cannot hit a straight reply to me at the front.

At least that's the situation I try to create when I am in front and we are on the attack. If I sense that I have their respect so they are avoiding the straight reply, I can focus on just the crosscourt replies.

After several points, I get comfortable reading when a crosscourt shot is coming and jump on it.

At least that's how I approach it. I look forward to reading about other players view this topic.

#5 No_footwork, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    Aventus likes this.
  6. triam

triam Regular Member

IT architect
    Hey Gollum,

I know the theory (atlest I think I do), I cheat a little bit on the side the shuttle is lifted stand a foot and half from the T with my racquet shoulder height and knees slightly bent. I dont know if I implement this consistently though. Thats why maybe some drills if I could do will reinforce this more.

Also, at level doubles most top players go round head when the shuttle is on their backhand side, I am so late if I try to do that, hell even straight ones I am late and end up blocking instead of driving.

Any help will be appreciated.

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I think you will find that a large number of players will also use their backhand. Personally, I use my backhand - it means I can take it earlier than going around the head. It also depends on the situation - shots that are close by you can go round the head, but shots that are wide of you should be taken backhand.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Okay, so it sounds like you're in a sensible position and well prepared. Good.

Drills are pretty straightforward here. You can have someone racket feed you drives from near the back of the court, and progress to feeding from a more typical doubles defence position. If you have enough players you can set up a structured rally -- i.e. your partner attacks while the opponents defend with counter-attacking shots that you intercept.

A couple of technique suggestions:

Try to keep moving while you are waiting for your partner to smash. You don't need to move much, just don't go completely static and flat-footed.

Try to time the opponent's shot with your movement, so you are just starting to push off momentarily before you see the shuttle coming, and you are already starting to bring your racket up.

You may be expecting too much here. A good block is an excellent result -- much better than letting the shuttle get past you and putting your partner under pressure. While it probably won't win the rally outright, a block can easily maintain your control.

Really, if the opponents are trying to drive the shuttle past you, you can't expect to do too much. I'm not saying you can't drive it back, but the quality of the shot will be reduced because of the pressure you're under, so you can't expect lots of power or pinpoint accuracy. A drive does require more backswing than a block, so it takes at least a little more time to react well.

Now, if the opponent's shot was a bit weak or loose -- giving you time -- it's a different story. Here you have an opportunity to be more aggressive and maybe even go for the kill.

9. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    In reality the position behind the T is further back. If he's your regular, than you would have a game plan for returns and you cover accordingly. If he's not, anything can and will happen during play and you have to react accordingly to the situation.

For drills, multi feed would be good. If not, shadow drills of the same would do. If you change position with your partner (not your regular) during play than you shadow him from behind as he may miss covering those shots and letting it pass without alerting you vocally.

Play XD regularly. Let us know in a couple of months time what have you learn. Good Luck. Good game.

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Oh wait...

Does this mean you are standing very near the front service line? Or are you standing a foot and a half behind the service line?

Your statement is ambiguous.

11. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    My favourite drill for learning to cover the net is to stand in your typical net player position in the middle of the court and have a feeder stand in a defensive position on the middle line - your goal is to hit drives down the centre of the court back to the feeder whilst they hit you side to side - it practices the feeders defence and the attackers movement.

A tip from me - a lot of people try to jump to intercept shots when playing at the net i.e. it comes out to the forehand side and the player jumps or tries to otherwise pounce forward/sideways onto the shot. This jump wastes a lot of time for subsequent shots (the recovery is much much slower). Instead, calmly stepping to the shuttle with racket outstretched will reach the shuttle just as early, and will not compromise your position on court for the next shot. I find this helps me stay in control of the rallies - maybe it will help anybody out there who finds it slow to recover after playing their shot.

Aventus likes this.
  12. triam

triam Regular Member

IT architect

Behind the front service line. Thanks for all your replies, I will try to post a video soon (Bcos I think I am doing something wrong just dont know what) and your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Good, just checking. :)

14. bbmars

bbmars Regular Member

Technical offier
    it is not easy using overhead forehand to cover the backhand especially in tight situation. You need lots of practice. I ha never use my backhand until 3 over year ago when I tore my left leg ACL. Didn't opt for operation. so I started learning to use my back to avoid loading my left leg with undue stress.

As for net shot interception, lots of practice... Many areas to cover, how you should hold you racket, such as holding your racket nearer to the shaft, using pin shot (some call it), action with wrist instead of normal arm swing to increase your reaction to incoming shot. Avoid touching the net (close shot) when netting, tap, push and even smashing. All the more, how fast can you react to the shot will determine the kind of shot (degree of difficulty) your opponent will have to retrieve.

Even with that, sometimes it is not enough. Anticipating where your opponent will likely send their shots, preparing for follow up when your partner smashes and covering gaps which you may have created when during attack.

Aventus likes this.
  15. bbmars

bbmars Regular Member

Technical offier
    I would normally stand behind the T or just behind the service line. However, if you can cover your front if you are further behind, by all means. However, my point is, if you front can't even cover the easy front court shot, then what's the point of standing in front? Therefore, you ought to know where is the best place to stand within your stretching limit. I see many of my friends stand further behind but could not even take simple shot because they stand too far back.

Aventus likes this.
  16. bbmars

bbmars Regular Member

Technical offier
    You also need to strengthen you reflexes when playing in front as shots are fired across and you being nearer to the net, it is pretty fast. If you want to intercept, you have to be more alert. One way I used to practice is playing against myself in front of a wall. Stand 1-2m away from the wall. Slowly and steadily, increase the pace of strength of the shot. Try to retrieve them. I am too old to do this now. As I recalled in my younger days, I could even retrieve my smash bouncing off the wall.

Aventus likes this.
  17. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Lee Jae Bok has a video on Doubles front-court coverage. The key message there is that you CANNOT stand too close to the net. It's a lot easier to move forward to intercept shots, then to try to move back. You need to know when you should get closer, and when farther away. Also, behind the T usually is the wrong place to be.

18. bbmars

bbmars Regular Member

Technical offier
    Some recommend standing bit further behind the T, not near the T. Most doubles play from Youtube, you will notice they are standing further behind., but if you can't intercept front shot, then what is the point of standing further back where it does not add advantage to your play? often, I see inability of front court player not able to retrieve/intercept anything. then whats the point of playing front and back? I watch mixed team europe championship 2015 final, WD Denmark vs England. English pair standing far behind the T but left gaps the Danish player to explore the front. Danish players did the same thing but they could retrieve and cover.

I had been standing behind the T for many years. I mean any where behind the T to cover the front according to situation. this is not a static postion. Always moving around according to my partner's play. i notice many people just stay around there just to cover. This is not a static play, rather dynamic and often in motion. you can just search youtube for doubles play footwork. I found few videos on fu haifeng.. Lee Yong Dae. Front and back view. Just need to notice how the front players is always moving regardless whether he is engaged with the shuttle. Not so straight forward thing many think it should be.

I would also like to add, not many are good at near court play even though they may be able to do so. Sometimes, you just need that bit of instinct as to when you should go for it, which really distinguish the the better player from the rest. I heard from commentary, not everyone has it.. think Morten Frost mentioned ut during the Commonwealth game 2014.

Aventus likes this.
  19. kaisterkai

kaisterkai Regular Member

Student
    Yeah I agree! Doubles is about combo. Not just the back court smasher. Alot of the time (I rate) the point is won when the back court smashes and the front net player finishes. Without either it wouldn't work. And if either of them try to independently win it's impossible to. Hence the back court player will drop or smash or half smash to give the net player the chance to kill and put it away. Net play is alot more fun compare to back court playing.

Where I normally stand. (Depending on your partner) if you partner is smashing from the left backhand side. I would slant more on the left side of the T but behind the service line. (To make sure that the defender doesn't cross and can finish the rally if needed) vise verse on the right. But if my partner is midline. I would stand on or a little in front of the T.

But there is really alot of ways in playing. No set rule :(

Handi likes this.
  20. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Net play is fun when you play, when I was a newbie, I was told to stick to the T and just watch the play and kill the easy balls. It's boring if the back players just lob the ball everytime.

anyway...

I tend to stand a bit more behind the T for some reasons:
    1. I can still move forward fast enough to get those netshots
    2. Watching out for those cross drives and lobs

The other important thing is to crouch and sometimes bow forward. otherwise your friend might hit you or is afraid to play the winner shot. and as you'll crouch for a long time, you should get your legs prepared.

About no set rule, I think it's just the case that there is a rule for every situation and condition.My friend stands very near the net to the point he nearly touches it after a drive to the low corner, so he can hit the reply to the net mercessily and force the opponent to make a weak lob.