improve gripstrength in fitnessstudio

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by OhSearsTower, Feb 9, 2015.

1. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

hello

i go to the fitness club regularely to keep my back strong (i have noticed that deadlifts massively improve/solve my backproblems)

so one of my big disadvantages in badminton i feel like is my lack of fingerpower.../ wristpower..maybe underarm power?

pretty much everything from the ellbow downwards probably needs much more power...

do you have suggestion what the best exercises with weights are to improve this area?

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR6l2rob9K4
    Go to 2.31 with the racket and the string and the weight - this develops massive forearm strength if you build up the weight - to give you an idea, I went from using a book to using a suitcase and have hence got very strong forearms and wrist.

For finger power, just get a tennis ball and squeeze it as hard as you possibly can for 10 minutes every day - everytime you realize you are not squeezing as hard as you can, then try harder.

Good luck.

p.s. I have also used a powerball - but I found its better for injury treatment than strength increase.

3. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

thanks for the exercises
    i will definitely try it out

how many weeks/months/years do you think will it take until i see considerably improvements?

so do you think its useless to use weights? i was making this thread and explicetly asking for studio-exercises because when i am already there - why not do something badminton specific i cannot do at home ;)

PS: what is a powerball?

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    You will see results very quickly. If you practice shots with the racket head cover, you will also see results very quickly. Give it 3 months, and you will definitely have gained considerable strength.

It may be worthwhile using weights - but I don't train in a gym, just at home. A powerball is a plastic ball with a gyroscope in it - you rotate it in your hand and it creates resistance for your whole arm.

5. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    In addition, it may be helpful to note that a relaxed grip before impact, and grip tightening on impact could help unleash your developed power better. Tense, or otherwise overly tight grip would rob most power that you may have.

6. phili

phili Regular Member

Deadlifts a really good for general grip strength when performed without any gear but the carryover to badminton is little (at least in my experience) since it is more of a isometric strength. To get results in badminton you should do sth as described in #2. In my gym we have a handle with a string to which you can attach weights to. Great exercise. ;)

If you want to do sth else for your badminton game do squats and work your way up slowly (really slow) up to heavy weights (= weight you can do for 3-4 sets with 3-5 reps each). Couple this with weighted lunges and you will be surprised how fast you can recover from deep lunges and with your speed in general.

You should notice the first results within a couple of weeks.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

This is pretty comprehensive, but I would emphasize the pronation and supination movements over the flexion/extension ones - badminton shots do not use wrist flexion or extension.

It does work, by the way. After a few months of sticking ten sets of wrist onto the end of my back sessions, my TK9000 - one of the tallest rackets there is - seem to have lost 10 mm of head weight, they're that much easier to move around.

8. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

for wristpower and forearm I fill up used sake bottles with water and while holding the neck doing figure 8 (smaller motion for wrist and larger motion for forearm) while watching TV at home, for finger power : finger and hand grip exercizer ( I have 50,60 and 70 kgs) and when I'm training at the gym I do a lot of chinups and pullups with fingers or just clinging on the bar for as long as I could (until I couldn't take it anymore)^^