worst luck with stringing a racket?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Feb 8, 2015.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    What's the absolutely worst luck you had with a stringing racket?

Janet started stringing this JJS, 26x27.5 with bg80. for 3 times she knocked the base clamp and all the tension released. on the 3rd time she gave up.

So i restarted it, when i got to the last main, the string snapped. probably because it has been re-clamped so many times it was weakened.

another attempt with a fresh set of strings. I got to the 2nd last cross. used the pliers to help a string into a hole, dropped the pliers down on the string bed, and snapped, the pliers are serrated and it cut the strings. and since it cut the mains, there is no recovering. the whole string job has to be redone again.

is that racket cursed or just too late into the weekend and I probably should take it easy and enjoy what's left of it?!

2. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    Something like this happened me one year ago...
    I got my new Arc11 (yes, my own one and new one) and strung the mains on 29 lbs. On the last two mains i get stucked with the sleeve of my sweater on a clamp and the string broke. I released the other clamp very fast, that the racket gets no damage.

So i started again. 29 lbs on the mains, 31 lbs on the crosses. On A15 i had a lot of problems to get the string through the grommet. After a long time (just 3 minutes) the main string snapped and the racket broke immediately...
    What i learned from this: If its cold, roll up the sleeves and if its a new racket prestretch the grommets a little with an awl.

If i have problems like this, i put the string in the garbage...

If i have such "bad" days, i turn off my stringing machine and put me on the couch :)

3. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I hate it when I accidentally release the clamp.

One of my mates has an arc11, I swear it's cursed as it always finds a way of annoying me.

4. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I had a cursed xp70. Yellow vs850 snapped on pulling a cross on first go. So I had to hybrid and the result was weird. Cut.

Then I restrung it at like 10pm. Midnight rolls round and I couldnt find anywhere for the last tie off knot. Snapped a main trying to uncover a hole. Couldn't sleep, needed it for the next day finished about 2am. Resulting stringjob had very little power. Fell out with XD partner in the following match and dropped out of last 3 matches to save further arguing.

Same racquet, I managed to misweave the bottom 4 crosses doing a haribito attempt. Racquet sold! That was early days though.

Most annoying thing recently was trying to pull a kwun knot tight and overdid it, frayed a main and had to cut.

About the kwun knot. I found it pulls a lot more slack if I pull away from the knot first, then towards the knot/frame to tie off. Once or twice is fine, 3+ sawed through the anchor string :( need to watch your video again. And thanks for sharing it.

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Had a nightmare yesterday. First try at haribito and got round to finishing the short side. Realised I skipped 4th cross instead of 3rd. Started again and got all the way to the top tie off. Broke the anchor :crying: :crying:

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

7. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Worst luck I had was stringing a racquet that had very large grommets and the owner wanted a very high tension (around 30lb) with BG68Ti. As I tensioned the finishing knot on the last cross (one piece stringing) the string snapped inside the knot, inside the grommet hole.

8. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

- stringing an old Nanospeed 4500 at 30 lbs with BG66UM (strings snapped twice because of a damaged grommet)
    - stringing the Forza 96 holes pattern for the first time :confused:

9. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Did one of my own BS10's yesterday at 3am. This never happend to me before. First I started stringing the mains with BG80 Power at 30lbs. At the 8 main the string broke immediately after I clamped. One set for the trashcan. Then I strung a new set BG80 Power. Mains were ok. String the cross bottom up. At 3/4 of all cross the string broke during pulling 32 lbs for the crosses. Ouch. I was thinking of opening a 3rd set of BG80 Power, but I remembered that I have the unpulled cross segment of the first pack in the trashcan. Found it and strung it and everything worked fine. I thought that my clamps were not adjusted well. I cleaned them and tried them with scrap string to readjust. Everything fine. Later I found out that my rabbit like to chew and play a bit with strings when I'm stringing. Since now, it must keep out when I string rackets.

10. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    Pro's Pro clamp by any chance?

Mine was probably when I first got the Wise. 24lb, OK let's go. Clamp one main and pull the other... why is the wise still chattering? Release tension and try again; same result. Tried a third time and noticed the letters on the string moving because the clamp wasn't holding it! I wasn't used to fixed clamps so OK, tighten it up and try again... Bang! snapped string - that's when I realised the Wise was set for kg not lb!! Oops...

11. chienming

chienming Regular Member

manager
    I been us ashaway 65, after two minutes, I cut off, That's not what I need.

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Just think what could've happened if you'd got much further... a 53 lb stringjob.

Or some of one.

13. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    Regarding removing a clam accidentally ... that's why i use 2 flying clamps per side, one at the top and the other the bottom. If one slips or i knock one off (or forget to clamp it) i only have to redo one pull.

14. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    I hate it when my customer ask me to string their racket using yonex BG66UM 30lbs. The string easy snapped thus require me to string very carefully and it takes a lot of time :crying:.

15. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Strung a racket for a customer with NBG98 @29x31. Finished the job and pinged the string direct from the machine for the BC guys and measure 1408Hz. Alright. I hang the racket on my rack. Want to take a seat to check my E-mails. I hear a load "PLING". Was looking at the rackets. Uh, the NBG98 popped. :(

16. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Breaking the string on the final tie-off, with one-piece Haribito method.

17. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Once I was stringing and clamped using flying clamps, the phone rang so I answered it and was busy talking. Then I tried to multitask and I forgot that I had removed from the dropweight which was holding the current tensioned string and released the flying clamp, duh! I had to redo the whole crosses again.

Thankfully I used 2 piece method so it wasn't a total loss. However I don't talk on the phone and string anymore, :D

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    The best defense against the atom bomb is not to be there when it goes off.

18. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    Stringing mains at 28lbs with the string snapping at the end when doing the final mains knot using a starting clamp. It snapped and the knot undone itself.
    Followed by stringing the crosses at 30lbs with the same thing happening.

Had to redo the mains and crosses again :crying:

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I have stopped pulling any knots with any type of clamp/pliers. a little bit painful but pulling by hand seems to be the safest way to go.

20. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    starting clamp + rotate it at least 90 degrees. Careful not to clamp to close to frame if you gonna twist and pull. I scarred and brand new arc10 like that. Had to pretty much offer the stringing for free :(