Tumbling serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by visor, Feb 2, 2015.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Thought I should start a new thread instead of continuing in LYD's tumbling serve thread.

I've been experimenting and playing around with variations of the tumbling serve and how to get it consistent and still be legal.

I've gotten the height consistently, will have to test out at the courts tmrw to get my lengths right. The peg on the drape marks the net tape height, and where I stand to the drape is the correct serve distance to the net.

I can get about 3 tumbles by the time it reaches the net. Will have to see if it will hopefully tumble half to one more turn after crossing the net.

What do you think? :)

craigandy didn't find any fault in it, so should be legal ...

[MENTION=47032]MSeeley[/MENTION] [MENTION=7]Cheung[/MENTION] [MENTION=64484]j4ckie[/MENTION] [MENTION=86196]craigandy[/MENTION] [MENTION=93307]|_Footwork_|[/MENTION] [MENTION=4876]R20190[/MENTION] [MENTION=96435]DuckFeet[/MENTION] [MENTION=37986]CantSmashThis[/MENTION] [MENTION=96935]dbswansea[/MENTION] [MENTION=101636]Ch1k0[/MENTION]

(btw if the 1/8th speed is too slow, just go to settings at the bottom of the YouTube player to change speed to 2x)

[video=youtube;44iEFEWdO4E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44iEFEWdO4E&sns=em[/video]

#1 visor, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  2. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Very cool!

It seems you achieve this tumble by hitting the feather right after you serve. Is that correct? Wouldn't that be called for double hitting? Can't really see it clearly though so I may be way off base here.

Again, very cool experiment!

jsunsun likes this.
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

Tks!

No, I hit the cork only, no feather... but I hit it on the side, not square on. This causes the tumble.

You can slow it down even further in YouTube settings and watch frame by frame.

#3 visor, Feb 2, 2015
  4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Love it! :D

You've always had a good service action anyway, and adding this to your arsenal is awesome.. I guess in a real game you'd probably need to aim a fraction higher than you usually do to make sure the shuttle doesn't clip the tape as it spins. But theoretically you don't need to worry too much about it being higher as the spin makes it difficult to attack.

I seem to remember that LYD's new tumbling serve had more side spin, whereas yours seem to have more backspin? Have you tried putting a bit more side spin on it?

Also, looking at how much slower the shuttle's flight is just before it hits the curtain, I suspect it might not quite reach the service line. Suggest leaning forward a fraction to give it a better chance and more spin at the point at which the receiver contacts the shuttle.

You might remember that I also hold the shuttle in a similar way, but further up at the feathers. Do you ever hit your fingers as you release the shuttle?

I also noticed that you have a very short take back on your stroke. I was going to start a new thread about this - I am wondering whether a short take back is actually better than a longer one in terms of how easy it is to read (something to discuss for another day).

5. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Tks!

Yes, it also has a side tumble which you can't see from the side, only from the front.

Yeah, I think I need to aim higher or input more push for it to reach the service line.

I rarely hit my fingers. The trick is to have a short take back, as you mentioned, because it improves the consistency and accuracy of hitting it out of my hand at the moment I let go of the shuttle. This part is the most important for consistency and reproducibility.

If you notice, the shuttle doesn't fall much from the time I release it to the time I hit it.

#5 visor, Feb 2, 2015
  6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Please CC us on the complaint email you'll get from Mathias Boe;).

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... [​IMG]

8. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Your Racket is not clearly pointing downwards.it's at least borderline imho. But the contact with the shuttle is alright! I like the wobble flight of the shuttle.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, too many things to concentrate on at one time. .. already below the navel/lowest rib. But still better than say YYS, Ahsan, or Setiawan.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

It is, why? What's wrong?

11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Lets not get carried away, there are skyscrapers lower than where you serve from:p but that is some sterling tumble, I applaud. One question, do you use the frame to induce more tumble?

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Only sterling, not epic tumble anymore...

No frame, although if I rush it, I accidentally hit the frame. But very close to the frame, I'd say half to one inch in.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

But thinking about it some more, yes, I think the frame does come into play in inducing more tumbling when it hits the feather just above the cork... that is just after the stringbed hits the side of the cork first.

14. ormy4

ormy4 Regular Member

You need to invent a bird retrieval system for your Man Cave. That or put velcro on the birds so they stick on your curtains and save bending. Man Cave is a place to relax and let remote controls and heated vibrating chairs do the work. It is our reward for being active type guys lol

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... maybe I can ask LCW to donate one of his many OSIM massage chairs that he's won from all the Super Series over the years. :)

16. |_Footwork_|

It's much easier to serve if you grab the shuttle on the outmost tip of the feather! Then you don't need to throw the shuttle and get your hand out of the way but can almost serve out of the hand. That gives you MUCH more control. Watch how literally every pro player grabs the shuttle....

17. visor

visor Regular Member

I believe R20190 also holds like me, maybe a tad higher.

Two reasons.

1. My hands are smaller, so I'm unable to comfortably hold it by the feather tips like the pros. I tried but it just led to increased tension in both arms during serve.

2. My stringbed contact point is at the top edge of the racket within the top three crosses around 1-2 o'clock. This area I found to be very stiff with almost no rebound and hence amazingly accurate for backhand short serves. I believe Cai Yun uses this area too as he mentions in one of the CBA teaching videos.

Because of this contact point, I find holding it the way I do by the blue band on the cork allows me to place the cork right against the contact point to give me the best consistency and accuracy. If you watch the slow mo video, all I have to do is release the shuttle and immediately I can hit it. Hence I don't have much racket take back. I just push thru and supinate with my wrist and fingers.

I find that those two things alone (holding the shuttle by the cork, and hitting at 1-2 o'clock of the stringbed) gives me excellent accuracy and consistency.

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Don't worry, in my book sterling is just as good if not more:D
    I have heard the clunk of the frame on occasion when LYD serves. So is the secret to this big tumble serve to hang the feathers of the shuttle over the edge of the racket so when initiating the tumble the feathers never make contact with the string bed and therefore things don't stabalise as quickly?

19. |_Footwork_|

All of this has nothing to do with the fact, that it's better to just grab the shuttle at the top of one (or two) feathers with 2 or 3 fingers. It has nothing to do with hand size or contact point.
    You just have more control over the shuttle if you barely have to let it fall off the hand.
    There must be a good reason why everyone does it that way, n?

20. visor

visor Regular Member

^ No...

Believe me I've tried the "normal" way, just couldn't get comfortable with it... especially having to point the cork towards the stringbed... which I find easier doing it the way I do.

Perhaps [MENTION=4876]R20190[/MENTION] can help explain the why and how ... :)

#20 visor, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015