How to

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Bone1977, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Bone1977

Bone1977 Regular Member

Ta
    Hi guys if any of you have seen my posts i am new to badminton. I am after abit of advice on tactics. The guy i play against is 6ft 5 and a big bloke. He plays alot of defensive clears and as me running to the back of the court alot. I am struggling to get a grip of the games where i feel i am in control. Returning good shots isnt always possible.

I fully understand i am a beginner technique is not going to be of a high quality.

I am just hoping someone can advise a few things to try on which i can practice.

Thanks

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    It sounds like he's playing defensive clears because he knows he can meet your clears without having to move backward or jump for them, forcing you to move backward.

Have you tried returning with drop shots? Does he just lift? If so, maybe applying more pressure (more smashes and offensive shots) and playing him side to side will force an error.

3. Limited328

Limited328 Regular Member

First, I would recommend watching some how-to videos of how to play badminton.
    It also sounds like you're playing singles, so watching some singles badminton games might help you with shot/return placements.
    Second, practice practice practice.
    Agree with above post by Charlie. Analyze how he plays and find his weakness, maybe his back hand clear isn't top notch.

4. Bone1977

Bone1977 Regular Member

Ta
    I regularly play the drop shot ( i have obviously got to improve technique but its coming). His backhand and mobility are his obvious weaknesses. However being such a big guy he can cover alot of the court he is also fairly fit as we run 15km a week and play football. so if my shots are not spot on he gets advantage.

I went there this week with the intention of aiming as many shots as possible at him. I just never got as many chances as i would have liked. However if i can get him to the front then back i get advantage.

I was also trying to improve my base positioning tbh i was like a yoyo and it was hard work.

I do fully understand it is my technique that is lacking i was just hoping to confirm if shot selection was part of the problem.

Thanks

P.s i am never off youtube watching training videos lol

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    No quick solution here. What's needed is training in shot accuracy and placement. We don't get that by watching YouTube- it's on court drilling shots repeatedly that helps.

Playing against tall people is pretty tough at the beginning. Once your shots become of higher quality, the opponents height can become a disadvantage ( this is at an amateur level).

#5 Cheung, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  6. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

If you're a beginner, I would personally focus on each shot, making sure that your clears go all the way to the back, your drops land at about the service line, and each shot goes straight, along with proper footwork. I wouldn't focus too much on shot selection. If he is guessing your shots, that is a different story.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

For something to try, hit the clears rightover the top of his racquet and making sure he has to move backwards right into the back tramlines. Don't be too focussed on winning. At this point, you're exploring which shots can exploit areas of weakness. You must make him move around the court and note which areas he seems to cope easily with.

8. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Can't help you with technique here. This is a generalisation, but since he's quite tall making him lunge or bend down a lot to reach for shots should tax him more than him going for lobs.

More movement and body mass involved for a big guy to bend down n recover back to standing position. So make him move n stretch downwards. Either smash or drop or drive the shuttle in a direction he's not at.

Cheers

9. Bone1977

Bone1977 Regular Member

Ta
    Cheers for the help guys hopefully with alot more practise and improving technique i will get a grip on games. I think the drop shot is the key here. It does seem pointless returning with defencive clears.

10. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Body smash defense should be trickier for him to deal with too. Keep him guessing

11. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Everyone is giving good advice on shot selection and working on shot technique.

But the elephant in the room is FOOTWORK. Getting to and fro from back to front efficiently takes a lot of practice. You sound like a fit and determined guy, so it'll come. And once it does, all those shots mentioned above will be a lot easier to execute when you are to the bird that much earlier. Cheers.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You will find the effectiveness of drop shots will increase tremendously if you can play clears and lifts that move your opponent to the rear tramlines.

13. Bone1977

Bone1977 Regular Member

Ta
    Cheers again guys. I have managed to find another singles partner. I played tonight and having been practicing my drop shots at every oppurtunity it gave me chance to get this particular shot practiced. I did notice i have a terrible habit of not following through when striking the shuttle. I seem to want to make the shuttle just land over the net. On striking the shuttle i am just using my wrist and not every shot is even making over the net ( i have obviously just made my own shot up lol) is there anything i can practice apart from the obvious technique to stop this? Or is it a habit i am having to just get out of? Also is a particular length i should be aiming for when playing a drop shot?

Hope that makes sense and sorry to keep going on.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

That's a good question. You actually don't need to play so close to the net. Check out some YouTube videos of the top singles players. They play a drop shot just past the service line.

What you need to aim for is a drop shot that goes fairly straight to the floor. If it travels in a slow curve, your opponent may reach the net, play a very tight netshot and then you will have difficulty getting the shuttle back. So, playing the shuttle and little further into the opponents court will stop the net shot. It's actually quite hard to play a decent netshot from the service line - it needs a high margin of error.

Learn to play the dropshot with a follow through.

15. Bone1977

Bone1977 Regular Member

Ta
    Thankyou it hasnt helped with all the bad habits i have picked up. Luckily until i joined this forum i had no technique so i am not trying to improve on a something that was incorrect to start with. Until a couple of weeks ago i wasnt even holding the racket properly.

So thankyou guys appreciate all the help i am being given.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, and this will also add an element of deception in the stroke... make it look like a smash, but slow it down with less hand speed but more upper arm motion in the final half of the stroke.

17. Bone1977

Bone1977 Regular Member

Ta
    Yes i noticed that if i can work on the clear , smash and drop shot the technique is all the same. Presuming i havent misunderstood.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, but remember for the smash and drop stroke to look the same, you'll need acceleration in the first half. Only in the final half do you suddenly suck back the power, but still use you upper arm to impart momentum and open up the racket face a bit. Otherwise it'll go into the net. Anyways this is for more advanced level after you've gotten the basics right, but good to keep in mind as you progress.

19. samliem

samliem New Member

20. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    If you want to improve make sure you do regular training with a coach to improve your technique and footwork. Consider using ankle weights as that will condition you to move faster on the court.